A great author on Africa: Wilbur Smith

mrrick

Reaction score
Member of
Umm Al Quwain Hunting & Shooting Club, Jebel Ali Shooting Club
Hunted
USA, Iran, Morocco, Siberia, Afghanistan, Tibet, India, Nepal, Saudi Arabia, U.A.E.
I have a few (10) of Smiths books and they are very good.

As with all authors some are better then others.

I enjoy the subject matter of most of Smith's books. Inconsistencies, especially regarding time lines tend to frustrate me. Some story lines seem implausible and goofy.

Smith's Courtney and Ballantyne series, especially if read in order will probably give the average non African a much better understanding of the history and geography of southern Africa.

All the best.

Last edited:
I started one of his book, after friends in SA recommended him. The writing was a bit "cheesy". Decent enough plot line and characters (although not much in the way of character development). I did not finish it becaue I thought it was dragging.

I realize he is a tremendously popular writer and certainly to each his own, but I was not that impressed. My friend in SA says he just started using ghost writers for some of his stuff.

I just love the Courtney series!!

I think most of us can agree that Wilbur Smith isn't Shakespeare or Dickens. but then, he isn't trying to be. He's trying - I think - to be an entertaining writer, who provides a fun, solid read with some degree of history thrown in. I agree with Wheels - many of the books - particularly the Courtney and Ballantyne series - "give the average non African a much better understanding of the history and geography of southern Africa." And personally, I found my experience in Africa, particularly in South Africa, to be hugely improved once I knew something about the history of the place.

I read one of his books once in a leopard blind. Couldn't be improved upon.

Should have been - though we were hunting in light! Actually it was "When the Lion Feeds" but somehow I managed to keep my cats straight!

Most of his books are great. I have read them all but confess I could not finish one of the Egypt series. Just got bogged down. His latest stuff is as some mentioned cheesy, but still readable. He is getting old, over 80 now. One of his books, cant remember which one had the hero surfing down the Zambezi or some river or other. Ridiculous! Still, his earlier works were all very good reads.

agree with you there ses. read most of them a long time ago............. but part way through the egyptian ones i stopped also and didnt read any more after that. the thing was a lot of his books especially mid to later ones all seemed to have the same story line and you ended up knowing what was going to happen before finishing the book................still enjoyed them even so. might go read one again as just seen a couple on the bookshelf, and there aint a lot to do out here after dark by yourself !! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnT3006

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg