A Genuine Question : Why Is Hornady So Hated?

As a curiosity, WW2 .455 Webley revolver ammo is also notoriously bad due to primers that fail..

I've used a surplus secound world war webley to dispach cattle in our abattoir, first with surplus.455 and later with .45 acp loaded way down for me by a family friend. To use .45acps we had to mill moon clips.
I alway assumed it was the age of the .455 that made them unreliable but maybe that was not the problem?

Important to note I do not in any way recommend the use of .45acp in webley revolvers as it is the equivalent of discharging proofing loads every time.
Necessary is the mother of all invention as they say.

Has anybody used hornady 9.3x62, 286 geain, interlock? What are the experiences? Are you guys happy or not with this one?

Has anybody used hornady 9.3x62, 286 geain, interlock? What are the experiences? Are you guys happy or not with this one?
Mark, I can't attest to using the 9.3 but have/do use their 180gr in a couple 300's and will continue to do so. Accuracy has been great and satisfied with performance as well.

Thanks buddy. This sounds reassuring. The reason i ask, it became available in my LGS, and price is really excellent, so i was considering to give it a try!

31E006E4-7096-4122-81B3-B4968F25A8E0.jpeg
When did they rectify the problem? Eg if I have old ammo .375H&H. I think I paid $80 old stock 1 pack and there are no DG close by so I will try them on pigs and practice but curious if these are the sub standard projectile?
I’m planning to use PPU and reload there cases for economy. Should I buy better cases if I get serious about loading for Buffalo? I have about 160 PPU and would take rounds after load development if I was travelling for Buffalo

View attachment 327638 When did they rectify the problem? Eg if I have old ammo .375H&H. I think I paid $80 old stock 1 pack and there are no DG close by so I will try them on pigs and practice but curious if these are the sub standard projectile?
I’m planning to use PPU and reload there cases for economy. Should I buy better cases if I get serious about loading for Buffalo? I have about 160 PPU and would take rounds after load development if I was travelling for Buffalo
Those are SP-RP, or more commonly called the Interlock I believe. Not heard any major issues with those - just the DGX

View attachment 327638 When did they rectify the problem? Eg if I have old ammo .375H&H. I think I paid $80 old stock 1 pack and there are no DG close by so I will try them on pigs and practice but curious if these are the sub standard projectile?
CBH
PPU brass is pretty good load up some Woodleigh and go have fun.
The 35 will do with 310grains of Woodleigh.

Yes their "new" DGX bullets are now fully bonded per their description by Hornady. Hope they can regain the confidence among DG hunters.
I recently used the new Bonded Hornady DGX out of my 375H&H on scrub bulls here in Australia and they performed really well. Having said this, though scrub bulls are big they don' have the same thick skin as a buffalo. But so far a really good experience for me with the new bonded DGX.

Glad to hear that they are working well for you. Hornady’s problem now is coming up with a reason folks should switch back to them. Most seem to have moved to A-Frames, Barnes, Bearclaws, etc.. kind of a tough pack to run in...

Glad to hear that they are working well for you. Hornady’s problem now is coming up with a reason folks should switch back to them. Most seem to have moved to A-Frames, Barnes, Bearclaws, etc.. kind of a tough pack to run in...

I don't think that is the case. My sister company is a large distributor for a few of the major brands in this niche and Hornady outsells the pack by a substantial margin in the big bore category in both components and loaded ammo. Former quality issues or not, their pricing and margin for retailers has them performing well. Just an opinion by the metrics...

I wish them no ill, they do a lot for our sport and they’re just great folks. I use their bullets for hog control and will continue to do so. However, with DG I’m once bitten twice shy.

Read both of Kevin Robertson's books! No issues w/ Hdy bullets on N. American game, plains game, and a buffalo my son immediately downed in 2017 with 1 shot from his 375 HH. I've seen much more written about the failure of my favorite (N. American hunting) bullet, the Nos Partition, in African DG situations. For DG, my preference are handloaded Swift A-Frame softs and/or Barnes solids, depending upon the quarry and shot presented.

My 1st choice on softs is Woodleighs, but their availability seems to wane at times during the year in the US, so I went with Swifts to good effect on buffalo with the .416. One of the advantages of the Woodleighs besides terminal performance are they are among the shortest bullets, so they allow for the highest performance (greater powder capacity) in short cased cartridges (i.e. 458 Win Mag, or it's absolute best refinement the 416 Taylor-same performance as the Rigby and Rem, using 10-20 gr less powder, but this same concept would work with the Rugers, et. al).

I'm OK with Hornady, except as noted earlier, their BS hype regarding both Creedmoor rounds! My 6.5 Swede was, is, and will be doing everything the Creedmoor does as well or better. Of course if it so great, why did they come out with 6.5 PRC?

Oh yeah, thats right. Short Action (Ho hum)

BTW Check out Hornady 10th edition where they use ancient M96 Swede for load data. Don't want to show up their pet 6.5's.......PAHLEEZE!

lol I like my .264-300WSM-it reaches out and touches things...Hyping up smaller creations (i.e. anything revolving around a .223 or the gun it was intended for, 6.5 needmore, 300 blackeye, etc.) is simply more profitable. ELD-Xs shoot well in it (just as speedy as a 6.5-300 Wby and faster than the 26 Nos,) but I did it for me, not for mass production profits! Worked very well on plains game w/ HDY interlocks and Nos PTs (and could even take the largest of game in the countries that allow it, w/ 160 gr Woodleigh sps or other solids-.330 SD, if desired, as proven by others such as Bell, Selous, and Jameson).

I forgot to mention my most favorite thing about Hornady bullets. If you reload, you get 100 bullets per package (as opposed to 50 for other brands,) for nearly the very same price. IF these bullets work for you and you reload, they are the way to go! That said, saving a few bucks and getting killed may not be worth it in the end.... :p Read Robertson's books!

I have only used Hornady in some of my rimfires (17Mach 2, 17 HMR, 22WMR) and a Marlin 336 in .35 Remington. Shot 2 white-tailed does with their factory load (200 gr FTX) and 60 and 80 yards, both dropped like they were hit by lightning. Very accurate. Can't speak to any other bigger game.

I'm OK with Hornady, except as noted earlier, their BS hype regarding both Creedmoor rounds! My 6.5 Swede was, is, and will be doing everything the Creedmoor does as well or better. Of course if it so great, why did they come out with 6.5 PRC?

Oh yeah, thats right. Short Action (Ho hum)

BTW Check out Hornady 10th edition where they use ancient M96 Swede for load data. Don't want to show up their pet 6.5's.......PAHLEEZE!
MPD61
Ammo companies just love reinventing the wheel. Take the 7mm SAUM, just a short action 280 rem or a properly loaded 284 Winchester. New sells old is so ho hum yawn.
I'm not sold on all the hype. The 260 rem 6.5x 55 and the 6.5 creed are all the same in my book. Hey fancy sells, how many of these new whiz bang cartridges are still around.
Cheers mate Bob

It's not hate for me it's first hand experience with Hornady ammo... Not with they're Dangerous game ammo specifically.

I hunted Bears and wild boars with their leverevolution ammo 44 mag and 45-70 325 grain both failed spectacularly in both Black bears and Wild Boar.

But I gave Hornady a second chance with 375 Ruger GMX and the accuracy was horrible at any range...

So I quit wasting my $$$ and shot Swift and Nosler

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charlessdiuse

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg