Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, NA Hunt Club
Hunted
Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe (2), Namibia (2), South Africa (2)
I had been watching a beautiful Win 70 XTR Alaskan State 25th Ann. rifle on Gunbroker for about a year, seller in Alaska appropriately enough. I finally decided I had to have it. It had beautiful dark, marbled walnut, unfired in the box. Was really looking forward to finally having it in hand.
Seller had for some reason two listings up for the same rifle. I advised the seller, who I have bought from before, no reply. After I won the auction for the rifle, the other listing was still up. I advised again saying, someone else might buy it again!
Sure enough a few days later another bidder bit the BUYNOW for MY rifle! He was quickly apprised that he didn't win anything, his feedback was pretty generous.
So knowing there was some confusion with the seller, I asked them to confirm that the rifle pictured with the nice wood was the one I would receive, seller says yes absolutely! They shipped it, and a few days later seller emails and says, "you'll love this beautiful rifle". Cool

It arrived at my dealer today sooner than expected and having been assured of getting the rifle in the listing, I drove 30 miles to my FFL to get the rifle with no concerns. Took it out of the box and see its all bubble wrapped, OK, but thru the bubble wrap I can see the wood doesn't look as it should. Gee that's swell! Peel off the wrap and sure enough, wrong stock! This is NOT the rifle pictured in the listing! To say I was a little PO'd would be the understatement of the year!
Sooooo, I called the guy from there, told him what happened and he don't know what the hell I am talking about of course. I explained the whole thing,; he was confused, said that's the only one he has, how could it be wrong, etc etc. But, send it back he says. So I fork over more dollars to my FFL to ship it back and when I got home I emailed the original listing back to the seller and a long email explaining why I should not only be refunded the bid amount but also the shipping to me and back to him. None of this was my fault and I was assured of getting the rifle pictured. Not a happy camper tonight.
I have no doubt I will see my bid money returned, not as confident about the shipping, as sellers hardly ever refund shipping but I think I am on solid ground here.
I will update later....

Send the owner a picture of the wood he offered for sale and what you received. If the difference is that obvious, hopefully you shouldn't have too much trouble getting this mess straightened out. Most of the guns I've bought off gunbroker were as described, however there have been several disappointments as well.

I sent him the original listing but didn't have a means of taking a pic of the rifle they sent. He will have it back in a few days, the difference is obvious, not even close. The listed one has lots of dark marbling the one sent was very plain, and a totally different color. I think what happened is they (they are a shop) probably had two at one time, sold the one pictured, then listed the second one without taking new pics of the new one. Either lazy or indifferent or both.

I sent him the original listing but didn't have a means of taking a pic of the rifle they sent. He will have it back in a few days, the difference is obvious, not even close. The listed one has lots of dark marbling the one sent was very plain, and a totally different color. I think what happened is they (they are a shop) probably had two at one time, sold the one pictured, then listed the second one without taking new pics of the new one. Either lazy or indifferent or both.
Sounds likely.... :oops:o_O

Well Scott on a brighter note. I finally got the 1895 you sold me picked up yesterday and I'm very pleased with it;)

Forgot all about it, o_O its been so long,:rolleyes: LOL. I knew you were out of town still. I think you will get a real "kick" out of it.:eek: They are actually not too bad, the little bit of rubber helps a tad. I have shot them with the steel butt plates they come with, ouch baby.:D

MRC Defunct

I've had a 404 Jeffery on order since March 2019 and was going to talk to them at the SCI show today but couldn't find their booth. So I called Ron Petty and asked if they had moved to a different location. No, he is in Montana, they are not at the show. We were supposed to meet and discuss my rifle but what he told me was a shock. MRC has closed the company down. I asked him what was going to happen with my rifle and he thinks they are going to finish those on order. He will be with the company til Friday. What happens then remains to be seen. As of now I have no clue what is going to happen. I guess I wait and see if anyone calls or see if I can raise someone there and get some info.
So take this as a heads up if you are contemplating a rifle from MRC.

Wow, that's not good! I hope you either get a rifle or your deposit back. Unless I had a firm commitment to build the rifle I would just ask for whatever monies were paid.

Luckily, I had no deposit down. The sales order requested none, strictly word of mouth. I'm going to call and cancel out tomorrow. I don't want to be left hanging in limbo not knowing what's going to happen. I talked to CZ at the show today. They have a 404 barrel in stock and a very few 550 actions left, They have discontinued them. I'll see them tomorrow and order it. The rep I talked with today is the machinist who builds them and he said someone will contact me and get it going. It is a custom build using stock action and barrel. I get to spec bbl length, sights, stock size and fittings( grip and forend caps, etc), extras and should take about 30 to 45 days. The money is the same and I know I will get my 404 Jeffery.

Sounds like a much better way to go.

It's very frustrating when you've been after a specific item, think you've found that item, then it turns out you haven't. Glad you got your purchase price back at least.

I've purchased a number of things from gunbroker over the last couple years. It's completely hit or miss. I've found great deals there on firearms/ammo with free shipping and no credit card fees, and I've also been charged 3% extra and $30 shipping (USPS) for a scope - neither of which were mentioned in the listing. Most sellers don't seem to use gunbroker's check-out feature - frustrating because the check-out feature is pretty handy and fairly well-designed when you are purchasing a firearm. I love the idea of gunbroker, but in practice it's still caveat emptor and YMMV. There seem to be a lot of shady sellers on gunbroker. I'm not suggesting they are nefarious, but they do seem to be terrible at retail business. Just awful.

In general, I find the whole 3%+ extra for payment via credit card to be very, very annoying. I know it's typical in the gun business, but it's not typical anywhere else. Person-to-person is a little different, I get that.

I talked to CZ at the show today. They have a 404 barrel in stock and a very few 550 actions left, They have discontinued them.

Not to thread jack, but I thought CZ was keeping the 550 going. They did confirm to you that the 550 will be discontinued or just the 404J option? Still a custom option thru triple river, or all around discontinued?

Scott,
Is it the 338 that is still listed on GB?

Just curious, did the ad say "stock photo" or "what you see is what you get"? Also, was this a pawn shop?

No it didn't say stock photo, it really couldn't be because this run of rifles was made in 1984, and only 500 made. Not sure if a pawn shop or a gun shop, but I think a gun shop.
I asked them specifically if the one pictured was the one I would receive. Answer yes.
I know I will get my money refunded, they have a 3 day inspection. Only question in my mind is whether I can get shipping refunded as well, I think I should. If this was a difference of opinion about condition or I just changed my mind, that would be one thing. But with the rifle received not being the one I was told it was, well that's a horse of a different color.

I would request return shipping and if refused, leave a negative rating feedback and file a complaint with gunbroker. From this chair, it's false advertising.

I already did that about shipping.. the guy called me today and explained what happened. As I suspected he sold the one I bid on some time ago, listed another one and didn't upload new pics. He agreed to pay all the shipping costs and offered me all manner of means to make it up. He said he knew of a couple more locally of this rifle and would look into it. Not going to hold my breath on that, told him just refund my money and shipping. We shall see...

Appears the seller is at fault, has admitted such, and is trying to make it right. That’s the best you could hope for in this situation IMHO. Frustrating but good on him. It still sucks that you didn’t get what you wanted.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leonslab

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.