9.3x62

@Vashper
I hear R8s are pretty good too.
Bob
Laughter is laughter, but 9.3x62 has been preserved in the range of R8 calibers. This suggests that the caliber has held under the pressure of competitors. Unlike 9.3*64 (alas) and 9.3*74R. Poor old Europe.

The best value for money factory ammunition for the 9.3 x62 has to be the PPU /Highland stuff loaded with the 286 grain bullet. I’ve used it in several Sako 75 & 85, FN Commercial 98 and Blaser R8. It’s a tack driver load in all of those rifles. I’ve killed a few pigs with the PPU and the son has also killed a few pigs, a scrub bull and a couple of reds with it. Worked fine.
In my 9.3’s it is the ammunition of choice for me when pig hunting. I use Norma 286 grain factory stuff when hunting bigger stuff. I’ve shot brown bear, scrub bull, red deer and pigs with it. Worked well. But, I reckon that the PPU stuff may have worked well too. But I didn’t want to risk it on the bear.
IMO the 286 grain bullet is my go to weight for the 9.3.

The best value for money factory ammunition for the 9.3 x62 has to be the PPU /Highland stuff loaded with the 286 grain bullet. I’ve used it in several Sako 75 & 85, FN Commercial 98 and Blaser R8. It’s a tack driver load in all of those rifles. I’ve killed a few pigs with the PPU and the son has also killed a few pigs, a scrub bull and a couple of reds with it. Worked fine.
In my 9.3’s it is the ammunition of choice for me when pig hunting. I use Norma 286 grain factory stuff when hunting bigger stuff. I’ve shot brown bear, scrub bull, red deer and pigs with it. Worked well. But, I reckon that the PPU stuff may have worked well too. But I didn’t want to risk it on the bear.
IMO the 286 grain bullet is my go to weight for the 9.3.

Hey mate what Norma factory ammo have you used?

Hey mate what Norma factory ammo have you used?
I’m currently using this stuff for special occasions. I’ve used these on a brown bear and pigs only. I actually prefer the PPU stuff on the pigs….can’t notice any difference between them on pigs.
In the past I’ve used Norma Alaskan 285/6 factory loads on bull, reds and pigs….plus a few dogs.

325C6B0A-8876-4A91-AB79-23C5449A63B1.jpeg
0139E6AA-0FBC-4775-896A-1D6DB8175E39.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m currently using this stuff for special occasions. I’ve used these on a brown bear and pigs only. I actually prefer the PPU stuff on the pigs….can’t notice any difference between them on pigs.
In the past I’ve used Norma Alaskan 285/6 factory loads on bull, reds and pigs….plus a few dogs.

View attachment 521839View attachment 521840
I love the Oryx, Ive used them in my 375 and 30-06.

This is a Norma 285 gr Oryx recovered after shooting a Sambar stag through the head and pulling it out of its groan. It travelled a good 5 ft if bone and muscle and retained 88% of its original weight. It is also quite accurate.
62BE1927-8FE8-4C3A-9469-FE0451F9DE8F.png
27016EF9-9976-4BAF-A709-9E7564A3B987.png

Very good point! Very easy to load for, and easy to find an accurate load for.
I have loaded 232 grain Norma, 250 grain Nosler, 286 grain Nosler and Hornady as well as 286 grain Nosler solids and have not had a soda that wouldn’t shoot 1.5 MOA and several that shoot MOA. It is by far the easiest caliber I have ever reloaded.

I shot my Ruger African today with some 250 Accubonds and I was surprised and excited to get MOA accuracy with the first two loads I tried. That was using Varget powder.
Has anyone hunted this bullet? How did it hold up?
I have used it on wild boar up to 250 lbs but have yet to recover one.I have been quite happy with them as they shoot.75 MOA in my CZ550FS using IMR 4895, getting just shy of 2600 fps.

Built mine several years ago on a 1917 Enfield with a Shaw 24" Barrel. It is a great caliber in a great gun.

I have used it on Elk Deer and even Wyo. Antelope.

It is very forgiving to reload. I use mostly Varget The 4895, and the Accurate close 2495. I believe this round will give very good performance with powders in those burning ranges. But the '95's and Varget really makes it sing.

The 285/286 bullets perform very well on all game. I even had good luck with the Privi. The 250's and 270 do flatten out the trajectory but I would use the Barnes in that weight for heavier game.

This round is accurate, powerful and flat shooting to 250 yards. You will not regret using it on your "future hunting trip".

The 9.3X62 again proves that the old gun makers really knew what they were doing, and just pushing up velocity in the new "modern" rounds doesn't improve things much.

Good luck on the hunt.

Four pages of accolades for the 9.3x62 in less than a week on a site with some pretty well educated sportsmen. Otto Bock knew what he was up to!

Since acquiring my 9.3x62 my .375 H&H has been feeling neglected. I've even had to separate them to opposite sides in the gun safe.

I've not yet mentioned to the H&H that the 9.3 is going with me on my next trip across the pond, but it knows something is up...

I have really grown to like my 9.3. I traded for a Ruger African model, the non-Lipsey version and it quickly became my favorite gun this fall. It really hammers. First thing I managed to drop was just a coyote, and it left a grin on me a mile wide, they second one took off but stopped in a bad place, and seeing one spin from bullet impact was such a delight. 250 accubonds with stiff load of varget turned out to be a great varmint load. I managed 3 coyotes and one whitetail doe. Needless to say I love the round. So much so I picked up one in a CZ american on the way to SCI in Nashville. Talk about an impulse buy! I was like one of my kids grabbing a candy bar while checking out at the grocery store

A new sponsor here on AH is offering Norma brass, fair price. For anyone looking.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-03-10 at 8.03.25 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-03-10 at 8.03.25 AM.png
    419.5 KB · Views: 34
  • Screen Shot 2023-03-10 at 8.03.28 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-03-10 at 8.03.28 AM.png
    448.2 KB · Views: 30
  • Screen Shot 2023-03-10 at 8.03.31 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-03-10 at 8.03.31 AM.png
    596.1 KB · Views: 33
@AfricianSniper915
You just described the 35 Whelen as well. What you hit with that stays hit and don't go far if at all either
Bob
35 whelen is awesome as well pretty much anything you would shoot with a 9.3x62 can be shot with a 35 whelen the only real advantage the 9.3 has over its is the ability to shoot over 300 grain bullets for dangerous game but most people would just buy a 375 H&H at that point!

I shot my Ruger African today with some 250 Accubonds and I was surprised and excited to get MOA accuracy with the first two loads I tried. That was using Varget powder.
Has anyone hunted this bullet? How did it hold up?
Exact load I’m shooting through mine as well I love that bullet it worked amazing on Nilgai in Texas!! I used the 286 grain Hornady DGX when I was in Africa last but I’m going to take my 9.3 this July to Africa with the 250 grain Accubonds

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EllieBoatm

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross