9.3X62 for Cape Buffalo?

You need to get roughly 2450 fps with a 286 gr bullet to hit Zim’s energy requirement for buffalo. I was able to achieve this with no pressure issues in my Rigby. It is pleasant to shoot and was very effective on my wife’s buffalo.
Namibian law requires slightly more energy. 2505 fps is needed with 286gr. I was able to get 2540fps with 286gr Swift A Frames and 2510 fps with 286gr Woodleigh Hydros. No signs of pressure and still under max load according to Quickload. Alliant RL-17 powder is just perfect for a 9.3x62.

Last edited:
.416 Rem (Winch 70 Safari, Sako? maybe) is equal to .416 Rigby but cheaper... better than .375 H&H or 9.3x62 for bufs but the recoil is not easy to manage..
For cats 9.3x62 is perfect. (338Winch Mag ?)

Namibian law requires slightly more energy. 2505 fps is needed with 286gr. I was able to get 2540fps with 286gr Swift A Frames and 2510 fps with 286gr Woodleigh Hydros. No signs of pressure and still under max load according to Quickload. Alliant RL-17 powder is just perfect for a 9.3x62.
i wonder what you could get out of the 9.3x64?
bruce.

Reactions: HWL
i wonder what you could get out of the 9.3x64?
bruce.
It would be interesting to know, perhaps especially for the heavier 9.3 bullets. 2500-2600 for 286gr is just perfect, I dont see any reason in pushing them faster.

9.3x64 is better than .375 H&H ... but ... it's very, very difficult to buy it, even here in Europa ...
RWS and Sologne and ...?

9.3x64 is better than .375 H&H ... but ... it's very, very difficult to buy it, even here in Europa ...
RWS and Sologne and ...?
I believe voere also still makes 9.3x64 Benneke rifles.

I believe voere also still makes 9.3x64 Benneke rifles.
When I was in the market a while back I was very interested in Voere but I couldn’t find any importers/distributors in the US.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-11-21 at 8.33.13 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-11-21 at 8.33.13 AM.png
    810.5 KB · Views: 206
  • Screen Shot 2020-11-21 at 8.33.16 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-11-21 at 8.33.16 AM.png
    709.3 KB · Views: 184
  • Screen Shot 2020-11-21 at 8.33.18 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-11-21 at 8.33.18 AM.png
    456.6 KB · Views: 179
When I was in the market a while back I was very interested in Voere but I couldn’t find any importers/distributors in the US.
Thats a pity. Very nice rifles indeed.

Ooo , Brevex actions are so sought after. If l ever have a .460 Weatherby Magnum again , l will opt for one built on a BRNO ZKK - 602 action loaded with 500 grain Cutting Edge Monolithic meplat brass Solids :)
There may still be 2 Brevex barreled actions in 416 Rigby still on gunbroker

The simplest answer is commitments at home.

As things are, I will live vicariously through reading the posts on this forum and reading the books of those who have been there.

CT
Ditto Charles

RWS and Sologne and ...?

What makes you say that?

RWS and Sologne and ...?
Not so.....

Bringing the x64 into the discussion is like recommending 300WM when someone asks what 308win can do. 9.3x62 is great because it's cheap to buy, cheap to shoot, easy on shoulder and still gets the job done in right hands where legal. I think it's perfect cartridge for moose sized game withing reasonable ranges and useable out to 300m when ballistics can be dealt with. For cape buffalo I don't have any experience but I'd probably opt for using the excuse to buy another rifle in .375HH.

The 9.3 x 62 is a very popular as an all round rifle over here. I personally love the CZ550 in that calibre as it is much handier than any .375H&H (with the possible exception of a couple I would not buy) and it works very well on pretty much anything. Recoil is also mild when compared to big hitters like the .416's , 450's etc. So, all in all, a great choice. Other top choices are .338WM ( unfortunately not legal for heavy , thick skinned game in some countries) and .375 Ruger. Norma's .358 (9mm) was also an excellent round , but not recommended as ammo can be a problem.

Old post but still a good read. I agree with you WAB 100%. My 9.3x62 shoots reloaded 286gr A Frames at 2540fps(Easily attainable with modern powders) In most cases its balitically superior to a .375H&H with factory ammunition. I also had alot to concider when when bying a "bigger" bore rifle. I knew that I would probably only hunt buffalo once or twice in my lifetime if I am lucky, so buying something like a . 416 Rigby wouldn't have worked for my perposes. A 9.3x62 however can fulfill the role of larger bore to hunt dangerous game if needed and is also a phenomenal plains game rifle. So I decided to buy a CZ550 a few years ago and I couldn't have made a better choice. Its my favourite rifle by far!! There is also alot of talk about the 9.3x62 not being legal for dangerous game hunting, and in some coutries that is true as the minimum is .375 and up. In countries like Namibia and Zimbabwe, a 9.3x62 would normally not be legal as it would not make the energy requirements. With my 9.3x62 shooting 2540fps its more than enough energy. I am heading up to the Caprivi to hunt a buffalo next year, will advise on the results.

Now the proud owner of a 375 H&H and a 416 Rem Mag, so I'm good no matter where I go in Africa. Have three hunts booked over the next four years, want to get my Africa fixes in before I get too old :) I love my 9.3x62's but once I learned it wasn't legal everywhere I decided to get the bigger bores and going to be selling my 9.3x62's. The 9.3 has become my favorite caliber so picked up at nice 9.3x74R O/U rifle to satisfy my 9.3 cravings. She's light, compact, and shoots beautifully out to 200 yards with a 2-12 Leopold scope and 230 grain Norma Ecostrike ammo. Don't really need anything more than that for the States. Els & Co is making me a nice shotgun style sling for her, she doesn't have swivel mounts.

I used both 9.3x62 and 9.3x74R with 286grs Nosler Partition for plain game hunt incl 800Kgs eland and I was very satisfied although I have to admit that I shot eland 3 times with no exit wound. Also I recovered bullet from Oryx. Tested in water jugs I can confirm 36" penetration - more than enough. My experience is that all bullets recovered (from game or water, doesn't matter) looks exactly the same. Seems that 300grs Nosler Partition or A-frame would be perfect for buff.

IMG-4347.JPG
IMG-4345.JPG
Eland's Hart.JPG

Now the proud owner of a 375 H&H and a 416 Rem Mag, so I'm good no matter where I go in Africa. Have three hunts booked over the next four years, want to get my Africa fixes in before I get too old :) I love my 9.3x62's but once I learned it wasn't legal everywhere I decided to get the bigger bores and going to be selling my 9.3x62's. The 9.3 has become my favorite caliber so picked up at nice 9.3x74R O/U rifle to satisfy my 9.3 cravings. She's light, compact, and shoots beautifully out to 200 yards with a 2-12 Leopold scope and 230 grain Norma Ecostrike ammo. Don't really need anything more than that for the States. Els & Co is making me a nice shotgun style sling for her, she doesn't have swivel mounts.
375H&H plus 416 Rem Mag? Sounds like you just love buying new toys. Personally, i would just take the .416 and a lighter, flatter shooting rifle (I favour the .338WM , but there are many calibres to choose from ). Note also that most 375's actually perform quite well with 380 - 400gr bullets, thereby putting them very much in the class of the .416 Rem. If going that route it is worth considering having the chamber reamed to .375 Ackley - in which event you would have as close to the mythical perfect African all rounder

If you load your 9.3x62 with the correct powder to reach the minimum allowed joules/foot pound's your 9.3 will be legal in more countries than not. I also love Els&Co Leather. I have another order on the way myself.

I've had the same problem. I'd very much like to buy some of Voere's stuff, but they're nearly impossible to find in the US except for the odd used one you can find online. There are distributors in Canada, but that's the best I've been able to find so far.

I've had the same problem. I'd very much like to buy some of Voere's stuff, but they're nearly impossible to find in the US except for the odd used one you can find online. There are distributors in Canada, but that's the best I've been able to find so far.
It is unfortunate. I remember seeing the one in Quebec and thought about emailing them but I figured it would be a lot of trouble and of course much more costly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnT3006

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg