9.3X62 for Cape Buffalo?

Hi Laurie!!
Nice to meet you!! As you probably know the 286gr projie made the calibre's reputation. I like the Woodleigh 286gr RNSP as they've deliberately set out to emulate the old Kynoch ballistics, and as the game hasn't changed, those projies would be ideal.

But in saying that, the degree of cover that you'll be hunting in would also influence your choice of bullet. I'd be asking your PH what would be the thickness of cover, and ranges you're likely to be hunting in at the time of your hunt (and also the type of weather to prepare yourself for). That should give you a good idea of the type and weight of bullet to use. PM me if you want to discuss further.

Best of luck with your hunt - and please post up a report and some pics!!

Cheers!
Tim (y)

PS: Yeah, that was me in the catalogue.

timbo,
do not forget the 293 gn tug bullet.
in factory ammo this also made a good name for the x62 in Africa.
9.3 bullets of the past were perfectly matched to the speeds of factory loads, unlike cartridges like the 280 ross which just blew up the bullets of the day.
the old tig and tug bullets so suited to the x62, and also not bad in the x64, are not fully up the x64 velocities on bigger animals.
bruce.

timbo,
do not forget the 293 gn tug bullet.
in factory ammo this also made a good name for the x62 in Africa.
9.3 bullets of the past were perfectly matched to the speeds of factory loads, unlike cartridges like the 280 ross which just blew up the bullets of the day.
the old tig and tug bullets so suited to the x62, and also not bad in the x64, are not fully up the x64 velocities on bigger animals.
bruce.
Quite right Bruce! I was aware of the histories of the old tig and tug projies, but omitted mentioning those as Laurie already likes (and intends) using Woodleighs. I just thought throwing tigs and tugs into the mix would just confuse things a bit. But even with Woodleighs, (which I'm sure Laurie is already aware) to get the best out of the Woodleigh range, reloaders must stay within the velocity envelope advertised for each bullet.

As an aside, occaisonally I've also used Barnes 286gr projies in my 9.3x62 and I've found them to perform just as well as the Woodleighs.

Cheers!
Tim (y)

Thanks for the advice Bruce & Tim. I have not been a fan of Barnes X in lower velocity or lower capacity cartridges for the obvious reasons of powder space intrusion/ lowering of velocity which impedes the expansion of the X even more. I think their place starts at about 2800fps where they can perform to beyond 200m. I find their penetration great but I like the whoomp sound the Woodleighs make & how quickly they kill! Perhaps some oz bias as well....

Laurie

Yesterday, I got my hands on this 53 years old rifle.

Mannlicher-Schoenauer GK in 9,3x62, 65 cm barrel, double set trigger, flag and tang safety, claw mount bases, dents and scratches and worn blueing, barrel ok.

I will give it a home.

:whistle:

HWL

Yep, without pics it didn't happen!;)

GK!.JPG
GK2.JPG
GK3.JPG
GK4.JPG

HWL

Beautiful HWL(y)(y)(y), Oh, so sleek body..man she looks great

Reactions: HWL
Beautiful......

What a find!

Beautiful HWL(y)(y)(y), Oh, so sleek body..man she looks great

Dear Gert Odendaal

We have all the rifles, and you have all the beautiful animals and the Limpopo area!

Luft(waffe)hansa is grounded and we sit at home and dream about Africa.

Should the situation last longer, I will start eating gun stocks.....

:(

HWL

Very nice rifle HWL. Glad you offered your home to the orphan!(y) That chambering is as scarce as hen's teeth on this side of the pond Were you able to secure the scope with it or are you going to have rings made?

Very nice rifle HWL.
Glad you offered your home to the orphan!(y)
That chambering is as scarce as hen's teeth on this side of the pond.
Were you able to secure the scope with it or are you going to have rings made?

The rifle was without scope, and without the corresponding mount parts.

Because the bases are claw mounts, the missing parts have to be hand made.

This is an expensive job, but would bring the gun to it's original conditions.

Now, I am thinking what to do.

Iron sights only would be the cheapest.

A pivot mount I could mount myself, .....or the original claw mount, we call it SEM, Suhler Einhak Montage.

And the final question, what scope to mount on a gun like this.

HWL

Last edited:
HWL, you know you (family) are anytime welcome to visit me in South Africa as long as you wish to stay, you have a vehicle at your disposal to use when ever /where ever you want to drive to, all meals ( a lot of braaivleis) is free and on the house ...and you can even spend your time in the gunsmith shop of my good friend Johan Greyling of JS Gunsmithing ....I even have a set of claw mounts for your 9.3 x 63 Mannlicher Schoenauer, will take measurements and photos for you to see if they will fit on your rifle..you can have them ...(y)(y):A Banana::A Banana:

HWL, please follow this up for me with this company, I believe you are making use of them buying your rifle components in Germany??
I need a price on the 9.3 x 70 cal items ...

Dear Mr Odendaal,

Thank you very much for your enquiry. We do not sell the reamers for that calibre, but we have a LEE die set in 9.3x70 MAGNUM in stock (LL89770). For a detailed quotation, please let us have your complete delivery address.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards

Irmgard Kaack

To the South African members who want to buy a beautiful collectors 9.3 x 62 caliber hunting rifle ...there is one that will be available shortly coming from a person`s estate , the process will be completed shortly..I will upload photos of the rifle in the near future...(y)(y)...we need to enlarge the 9.3 x 63 caliber society ....:LOL::LOL:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SherrillGl

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg