9.3x62 bedding job. Some input please before I pull the trigger.

John Camp

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Hunted
Mexico, Georgia, California, Missouri, Tennessee, Iowa, Idaho
So I finished my first bedding job. This is my CZ 550 American in 9.3x62. The project is an attempt to transform it into a lighter and more nimble stalking rifle. The first step is to discard the giant fence post stock and put it in a CZ 550 Standard Sporter. First problem was the additional recoil lug. The Standard Stock came off of a 308 and it is thin, and a pound lighter, so I decided to employ the 2nd lug. I inlet the stock for the barrel lug and bedded both lugs with Brownell's Pro Bed 2000. Opinions please: will the bedding and 2 lugs be enough for a 9.3x62 in this stock? Should I also install crossbolts?
20200919_172328.jpg
20200919_172337.jpg
16005525128585496307788538156861.jpg
16005525710747759637073313942921.jpg

You will be fine. Likely more than enough in my opinion. If you want to add them, certainly no harm. You could also dremel out some of the bedding behind the action lug and put a steel rod in there with more bedding compound.

You will be fine. Likely more than enough in my opinion. If you want to add them, certainly no harm. You could also dremel out some of the bedding behind the action lug and put a steel rod in there with more bedding compound.
I thought about that too. I would install the screws if I could find a jig for the job but no one seems to manufacture or sell them anymore. I might have to take it to a smith, except that I do not know of one personally and don't like the idea of giving up the rifle for an unknown number of months.

The bedding alone will be good, btw a good looking job for a first attempt.

The bedding alone will be good, btw a good looking job for a first attempt.
I was a bit concerned. The action and stock really did not want to be separated.

Nice work. You should be fine, it’s not a heavy recoiling caliber. You may want to check behind the tang. A lighter stock like this is more susceptible through the wrist.

Nice work. You should be fine, it’s not a heavy recoiling caliber. You may want to check behind the tang. A lighter stock like this is more susceptible through the wrist.
I bedded it there as well. I took about 1/32 of an inch out around the rear bushing and filled it with the epoxy. Not really sure how this is supposed to help but most instructions I found suggested it be done.

Reactions: WAB
Agreed, that bedding looks fine. Good 1st job! Likely plenty strong, however cross bolts or pins won't hurt and are just as easy if not easier to install as what you just did. Easy to make and use your own jig if you have a drill press. Once you see how the jig works.... very simple, straight forward process.

Just a matter of securely attaching a fixed, exposed, short point (1/8"-1/4" of a small nail point is adequate) to your drill press table- usually in a piece of scrap plywood. Align that fixed point nail tip on jig to the larger diameter cross bolt drill bit tip, then clamp the jig to the table so they are tip to tip.

Mark and drill 4 small, shallow (no deeper than about 1/4") holes (for two cross bolts/pins)- two on each side of the stock- indicating the centers for the cross bolts/pins. The trick is to mark those exactly across from each other and at exactly the right place on the outside of the stock. Usually a tee square and some careful measuring will help. Once the four small, shallow holes are drilled in the stock, simply place one of the holes over the fixed point (the short, exposed, sharp nail tip) in the jig clamped on the table. Carefully drill the full diameter hole after using the opposing small entry point hole as a starting index point for the larger bit. Use a sharp, straight bit. Hold secure and steady with hand pressure and ease the bit through the stock until the bit's tip just touches the jig's tip. You are now within about 1/8"-1/4" of being all the way through- indexed exactly and lined up side to side as measured and marked. You can remove the stock and jig from the table and complete the drill through. Repeat for the next cross bolt hole. Go slow and steady to help prevent edge chip out. Once the drill bit tip touches the jig tip, the hole is plenty long enough to guide the bit the short remaining distance to complete the job.

Last edited:
Agreed, that bedding looks fine. Good 1st job! Likely plenty strong, however cross bolts or pins won't hurt and are just as easy if not easier to install as what you just did. Easy to make and use your own jig if you have a drill press. Once you see how the jig works.... very simple, straight forward process.

Just a matter of securely attaching a fixed, exposed, short point (1/8"-1/4" of a small nail point is adequate) to your drill press table- usually in a piece of scrap plywood. Align that fixed point nail tip on jig to the larger diameter cross bolt drill bit tip, then clamp the jig to the table so they are tip to tip.

Mark and drill 4 small, shallow (no deeper than about 1/4") holes (for two cross bolts/pins)- two on each side of the stock- indicating the centers for the cross bolts/pins. The trick is to mark those exactly across from each other and at exactly the right place on the outside of the stock. Usually a tee square and some careful measuring will help. Once the four small, shallow holes are drilled in the stock, simply place one of the holes over the fixed point (the short, exposed, sharp nail tip) in the jig clamped on the table. Carefully drill the full diameter hole after using the opposing small entry point hole as a starting index point for the larger bit. Use a sharp, straight bit. Hold secure and steady with hand pressure and ease the bit through the stock until the bit's tip just touches the jig's tip. You are now within about 1/8"-1/4" of being all the way through- indexed exactly and lined up side to side as measured and marked. You can remove the stock and jig from the table and complete the drill through. Repeat for the next cross bolt hole. Go slow and steady to help prevent edge chip out. Once the drill bit tip touches the jig tip, the hole is plenty long enough to guide the bit the short remaining distance to complete the job.
Thanks for the detailed explanation. I understood some of it. I keep rereading it, but I can not follow it all. I think this is something I will have to see before attempting.

OK, I just got it. That is simple. As long as the pin is in line with the bit I am good to go. OK, thanks again. I am going to work this up and practice on a 2x4.

Good deal! I apologize for the excess verbiage. I tried to explain in enough detail without a series of pictures- not easy to do. :)

Practice on a 2x4 would be good idea and would demo without risking the stock. I think the tricky part is location of the holes/pins and making sure they pass through the intended area. I know on a Win 70 it is a tight fit between the cross bolt and the front action screw. - not sure about the CZ clearances but they have to be adequate as many are double pinned. It would be smart to study the exact cross bolt locations on a CZ so fitted.

When I pillar bedded my Winchester safari express, the 9/16 drill bit cut through a portion of the factory cross bolt. It left plenty of cross bot to do its job but it is a very close fit.

Good deal! I apologize for the excess verbiage. I tried to explain in enough detail without a series of pictures- not easy to do. :)

Practice on a 2x4 would be good idea and would demo without risking the stock. I think the tricky part is location of the holes/pins and making sure they pass through the intended area. I know on a Win 70 it is a tight fit between the cross bolt and the front action screw. - not sure about the CZ clearances but they have to be adequate as many are double pinned. It would be smart to study the exact cross bolt locations on a CZ so fitted.
I have been studying. I have both an American and Lux stock and both have two crossbolts. There is plenty of room upfront because the front action screw is anchored in the recoil lug. The rear looks a little more demanding but I am up for it.

Here it is. No split out and everything lines up. The varnish separated a bit around the counter bored holes. I will just strip it down and refinish. I have 3 others I will do at the same time.
20200925_172850.jpg

Excellent when a plan comes together!

Excellent when a plan comes together!
Thanks again for the direction. It really was a smile task but it did take a while. It would be faster and a lot less stressful if I had something other than a little cheap Chinese press. One tool at a time I guess. I will keep a lookout for a quality one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ModestaHac

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg