9.3x62 barrel contour

Jamie D Van Roekel

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I’m probably getting to be a pain in the rear with all my questions the last couple days, but I’m kind of in new territory on the 35 Whelen and 9.3x62. Most of my guns are a bit speedier. Ex. 17rem, 243, 270, 300Win, 375RUM, and Rigby that I have loaded to Weatherby velocity.

Yeah, before you guys tackle me. My age is knocking a little sense into me.

My question is what contour barrel would you advise me to use on the 9.3. I’m not into real light rifles. If I’m going to give up weight I would rather do that in the stock then in the barrel. Less muzzle jump and more stable shooting.

I was thinking a 4 or a 5 contour. A 4 seems a bit light but a 5 seems a little heavy for a cartridge as small as a 9.3.

What y’all think?

I built one on a #5 contour that is 25in long. weighted the stock to get perfect balance and is is one of the most accurate rifles I own.

I also would recommend a 5 contour but with a 22 or 23” length. It should balance perfectly and the powder will burn completely in a 22” barrel.

I'm not up to date on contour number, but a magnum sporter would prob be what you are looking for if you like a bit of heft.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HowardDove

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,