9.3x57 anyone?

Hedge774

AH legend
Joined
Aug 18, 2025
Messages
2,283
Reaction score
3,714
Media
4
Hunting reports
Africa
1
Australia/NZ
1
Hunted
Limpopo, South Africa
Hey guys. For some reason I'm ridiculously drawn to a Husky 146 in 9.3x57. I love my 9.3x62 rifles and don't "need" a 146. I just never see them mentioned in here. I know that they are kind of anemic next to the 62, but do any of you hunt (Or just shoot) the 57? What do you think of it? As always, I appreciate your opinions!
 
I love mine. Since it's on a 98 action, my handloads are pushing 2100 fps with 286 gr bullets. Great for bears, hogs, or deer in thick cover. Anywhere someone would use a 45-70, it shines.
 

Attachments

  • FB_IMG_1769452498556.jpg
    FB_IMG_1769452498556.jpg
    284.9 KB · Views: 98
  • FB_IMG_1769452469031.jpg
    FB_IMG_1769452469031.jpg
    370 KB · Views: 107
In the US, I would have better luck finding unicorn teeth than 9.3x57 cartridges...
 
I love mine. Since it's on a 98 action, my handloads are pushing 2100 fps with 286 gr bullets. Great for bears, hogs, or deer in thick cover. Anywhere someone would use a 45-70, it shines.
Good evening, Sir. I see yours is scoped. I've contemplated on buying a untapped model and using a peep site. Would you suggest an optic instead? Thank you!
 
I drilled/tapped mine and put warne bases on it. That scope is a bushnell european model 1-4 with an illuminated German #4. I put it on it for a bear hunt in Canada. No problem shooting 150 yard with that set up. I used leupold QD rings so it pops off if you want to use the iron sights.

Any of the 1.5-4 or 6 scopes should work well. I do like heavy post style reticle for low light, dense cover, or quick target acquisition
 
Thank you, Sir! I do appreciate the insight.
 
What is the advantage of the x57 over the x62?

Im guessing here (too lazy to look it up), but im assuming the 9.3x57 is the 8x57 necked up to 9.3. If that is the case, then making brass shouldnt be too hard.
 
The 62 has more powder, pressure, speed, and energy. You are correct on the casing, Sir.
 
The Husqvarna 146 in 9.3x57 built on FN Mauser 98 actions, pre WWII era is a classic Swedish stalker trim, lightweight 7–8 lbs scoped, and points beautifully with that schnabel forend. It's not mentioned much because it's rarer than the 9.3x62 versions, and ammo/brass is a bit harder to source Norma makes some, but forming from 8x57 is common.

Ballistics wise, it's about 100–150 fps slower than the 9.3x62 with the same 286gr bullet 2,200–2,300 fps vs. 2,350, so yeah, a tad anemic by comparison more like a beefed up .358 Win or .35 Whelen than the full power x62. Recoil is mild, accuracy is usually good in well preserved rifles, and it's plenty lethal on deer moose elk at reasonable ranges 150–200 yards max ethical for most loads.
 
One thing that has not been mentioned is accuracy, and it may not be of any importance to anyone. But, I can honestly say that in my experience the 9.3x57 is a very accurate cartridge.
For many years I had Blaser R8 barrels in 9.3x62 and 9.3x57. I developed multiple loads for both. Two different cartridges in the same modern rifle, tested in the same conditions.
Short story, is the 9.3x57 was bloody accurate. Was it recoil? Well it may have contributed a little bit, but I don’t find the 9.3x62 a hard kicking caliber. The 9.3x57 was just bloody accurate in my R8.
 
What is the advantage of the x57 over the x62?

Im guessing here (too lazy to look it up), but im assuming the 9.3x57 is the 8x57 necked up to 9.3. If that is the case, then making brass shouldnt be too hard.
Very easy to do, one past through a 9.3 sizing die is all it takes.
 
Raven Rocks has Norma 9.3X57 brass in stock, just received mine Saturday.

Paul
 
Every time I start lusting for one, which is quite often, my Model 70 in .358 Winchester tells me NO, You Don't need it! I'm your huckleberry!;)
8JhrbEc.jpeg
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,287
Messages
1,570,654
Members
168,922
Latest member
.416
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
curt672 wrote on Robmill70's profile.
So What's the story on the 340 ??? thanks Curt
rdog wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Bob i was at Rebel gun works last Friday they had once fired 25/20 brass in their up stairs section , how are the knees going?
hunted So Africa 4 times and more to come
 
Top