8x64S? Any owners and shooters?

LOL... everything is harder to get here in Canada but I have not really looked hard. Trying to get a 7x64 going....
I have the twin rifle to this 8mm in 7x64, a great caliber.

Looks great! Hope it does well for you. (y)
Thanks Dean! Appreciate the referral to Gostomskis. I am into this rifle a heck of a lot less than I would have been into the BRNO 600 that started this quest!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the twin rifle to this 8mm in 7x64, a great caliber.
Yeah. My 7x64 is a stainless zastava m70 with b&c stock. Nice rifle but the factory iron sight fell off so dealing with that now. And it is why I was thinking about getting its bigger brother. Kind of like having 7x57 and 8x57.

Last edited:
Stainless Zas?? Never have seen one or heard of one, better post up a pic or two!

Stainless Zas?? Never have seen one or heard of one, better post up a pic or two!
Yeah. I thought this would be my ultimate Mauser... but it is rougher than any other zastava I have seen, etc. but it is all stainless, including trigger assembly. Should have bought one new but by the time I decided they were all gone so I got a slightly used one with better stock.

Sweet. I was ordering some reamers from ptg and almost pulled a trigger on one in 8x64. But then I’d have to get the dies and I did not know where to source brass or factory ammo, so I aborted the thought of it.
Dies can be got from CH4D

Ammo here:

You may possible have the rifle I bought from Tradeex which I sold to a guy in BC.
BTW keep an eye on Tradeex they stock dies & brass from time to time.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-12-30 at 8.29.25 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-30 at 8.29.25 AM.png
    575.6 KB · Views: 138
  • Screen Shot 2020-12-30 at 8.29.26 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-30 at 8.29.26 AM.png
    567.3 KB · Views: 145
I got it out to the range today, its official: its a shooter! Just wanted to sight in a scope and shoot up a box of S&B for the brass. Once I got it zeroed at 100 I just kept shooting and most of the shots were within about an inch and half and most in a cluster. Dang satisfactory for a factory load.

Now as I seem to have lots of 8mm bullets of various weights from 170 to 220 I can get to loading for it. Sierra 175's seemed to shoot really well in 8x57 so will probably start there.
Rifle worked perfectly.

Dies can be got from CH4D

Ammo here:

You may possible have the rifle I bought from Tradeex which I sold to a guy in BC.
LOL...Stop tempting me...BUT thank you for the info and links! And yes the rifle came from BC.

I got it out to the range today, its official: its a shooter! Just wanted to sight in a scope and shoot up a box of S&B for the brass. Once I got it zeroed at 100 I just kept shooting and most of the shots were within about an inch and half and most in a cluster. Dang satisfactory for a factory load.

Now as I seem to have lots of 8mm bullets of various weights from 170 to 220 I can get to loading for it. Sierra 175's seemed to shoot really well in 8x57 so will probably start there.
Rifle worked perfectly.
A fellow hunter and target shooter who has probably passed away by now, had his Brno 8.2x57 rechambered to 8mm-06. It worked very well BUT he did say that the 175gr Sierras tended to blow up on red deer. If you are loading to full potential, that could be an issue, dependant upon distance to animal.

Not likely it will ever go hunting with me at least, just something to mess with.

Have a look here:

Got this to the range again today. Had to do some more stock work after the last shoot, done. Today was trying out a load using 220 gr SGKBT bullets with the near last of my H4831. Shot really well. 56 grs got me a group about .75" and 58 grs a half inch all touching group! 4 shot groups at 100 yards.
This thing shoots really well for such a tired looking old thing. Recoil is amazingly mild, for a fairly light rifle. Action is just slick, perfect feeder and extractor, bolt lift is very easy even at 58 grs.
Just a dang good performing rifle in an odd caliber. Odd shooter too I suppose!

We had a guy that bought a J bored 8x64 made in Czech. I know the switch from .318 to .323 happened in different places at different times.

Please insure if you buy a 8mm anything other than 8x68S that you are not buying a .318. Still plenty of 2nd hand .318 rifles in Europe.

Not so much stateside. This one obviously is an S as it started out as an 8x57 JS so marked and the 'smith just opened up the chamber to 64.

I have a BRNO Model 21, which I had converted from 8X57JS to 8X64S and a Kreighoff "Teck" double rifle I had converted from 7X65R to 8X75RS. The Krieghoff is still in Germany awaiting import, but the Model 21 has proved to be a hammer on white tail deer.

I got an original Brno in 8x64S. Great shooter and hard hitter. The best factory hunting rounds I tested, mono Brenneke TOG 14,2 gr. Probably my next choice for African plains game short and medium range. Never reloaded it

I got an original Brno in 8x64S. Great shooter and hard hitter. The best factory hunting rounds I tested, mono Brenneke TOG 14,2 gr. Probably my next choice for African plains game short and medium range. Never reloaded it
What model is your BRNO?

I reload for everything, and the scarcity of loaded ammo or brass makes it a necessity. The round is quite potent.
With my top loads I am driving a 220 gr Sierra Game King at 2730 fps for an energy of 3640 ft/lbs.

Right now I am working with some 180 gr Barnes TSX bullets to see how they do. Early results seem to show it likes the bullet well enough and I am planning to run a few over the clock tomorrow and see what kind of MV I am getting with the same powders used with the 220 gr SGK.

My rifle, basically a Mark X Mauser with factory barrel has done well with Ramshot Hunter, IMR4350, and Norma URP. These powders shine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LavadaMacG

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.