7x64/284 rem for long distance work

Search you tube for HighCountryHunter he uses a 7x57 with 162 a-max for most of his shooting. Will give you an idea of how they work in simialr terrain.

I'd use the 7x64 for long distance work if your comfortable doing it. Correct me if I'm wrong but in WWII wasn't the German army considering the 7x64 for their sniper teams? They decided against it because they wanted a single calibre for all military agencies.
It's a great round. I have a 7x64 but haven't played with it much.......yet.

been on the Berger website and they recommend a 1:9 twist for the 180grn VLD. If I have a 1:10 twist how much would that effect the BC and would it be suitable??

Dan Hardy Hardy Barrels also recommends 1.9 and just ordered a barrel for the Blondes Varberger currently 22 inches ....the barrel .....behave Brickburn. ......

Anyhow going with a 26 inch barrel ...and see what we ....sorry she can reach ....but the 170gr bullets dropped black wildebeest last year out to 300m without protest ......

Dan Hardy Hardy Barrels also recommends 1.9 and just ordered a barrel for the Blondes Varberger currently 22 inches ....the barrel .....behave Brickburn. ......

Anyhow going with a 26 inch barrel ...and see what we ....sorry she can reach ....but the 170gr bullets dropped black wildebeest last year out to 300m without protest ......

The one I'm looking at getting has a 26 inch barrel but has a 1:10 twist

I dont know enough to figure out but will tell you in a couple of months when I get the barrel and get it fitted ...

The one I'm looking at getting has a 26 inch barrel but has a 1:10 twist

I don't think 1:10 will work with 180's at the velocity you will get with them. 162/168 will give the best balance of velocity/drop/drift in a 280 or 7x64.

It's funny when you change the altitude on the burger twist rate calculator it becomes suitable!?

Yep, higher altitude the air is less dense so the projectile becomes more stable. General rule is 1:10 will stabilse 168gr, 1:9 or 1:9.25 will stabilise 180gr. Faster also increases stability.

Yep, higher altitude the air is less dense so the projectile becomes more stable. General rule is 1:10 will stabilse 168gr, 1:9 or 1:9.25 will stabilise 180gr. Faster also increases stability.
I guess as its going to be a mountain rifle the 180grn should be ok for those longer shots. And when in the lowlands just use a 140grn as the shots will be shorter range

I don't think the 180gr will give you anything more, other than more recoil. In my 7mm mag I run 162/168gr because I can't run the 180 fast enough to get enough gain. When I had a 7RUM and could launch the 180gr at 3200 fps it was worth it.
What velocity do you think you will get the 180gr to go?

A 162 amax at 2816fps with a 10mph cross wind will drift 7.6" at 400 yds
A 180gr Berger VLD at 2700 with a 10 mph cross wind will drift 7.9" at 400 yds, if you can get it to go 2800 fps then it drops to 7.5".

Last edited:
This thread reminds me that I need to get my 7mm out more often.

I have a 7x64, and absolutely love it.

Sorry I don't have any advice on shooting long range, it is beyond my capability, I limit myself to self imposed limits which are much more modest.

Within the ranges that I personally use it for I find it is extremely effective.
I am only (at this stage) using 140gn slugs and have taken a few Boars weighing up to, and in some instances over, the 100kg mark. It puts them down with authority.

The cartridge can be a breeze to load for if you can get cases, depending on where you live, but if you can accumulate components I believe it is very worthwhile and effective for medium to smaller-large soft skinned animals.

Best of luck with your choice.

My own "Long range" rig is a Sako M85 Bavarian 7x64. It is equipped with a 1:10" twist barrel, and so I use 160 gr. bullets in it. it does not shoot 175 gr bullets very accurately (because of the slow twist I assume). However I normally don't shoot at unwounded game very far away, 300 yards or so is about my maximum. So I use moderately tough bullets that open at all reasonable ranges like the Nosler Partition and Accubond.

just a quick update gents. have been getting 1/4 moa with nosler 168 LR accubonds. just need to chrono them now

My own 7x64, a CZ 500 Lux is responsible for my tightest ever 4 shot group at .18". It shoots extremely well with 150 gr Nosler Bal Tips and Re22. About the best one can expect from 175-180 gr bullets will be close to 2800fps depending on individual barrels. I have a .280 Rem that would shoot faster than a buddies Improved version. He couldn't match my speeds without hot pressures. You just never know. I have never chronoed my current 7x64 but if its at all like my .280, I could get 2900 with a 160 Nosler and 2780 with a 175, never tried heavier, no need. I think 160 is about perfect for this class of 7mm. For deer size game, even elk sized game, have a look at the Barnes Tripe Shock. We use the 140 at 3000fps in a .284 Win it hits very hard. One shot wildebeest with a frontal chest shot.

just a quick update gents. have been getting 1/4 moa with nosler 168 LR accubonds. just need to chrono them now

That's good shooting.

I see it's an old topic here, but I'd like to respond. The 180g Bergers won't stabilize in my 1/9.5 twist rifle. Inside 300 yards they are ok. Outside and they start to spread. The 168 do much better. I used a .264 130g VLD Hunter that blew clean through a pronghorn antelope last year making soup out of the lungs. It did a great job.

But I've switched to the TTSX for my next hunt. We will see how they do end of this week or first of next. I'm not moving around well at the moment. So I'll cruise AF while I heal.

Interesting how relatively slow the twists are. Most of the CIP twists tend to be ~8.5. Certainly my Lothar Walther barreled 7x64 is 8.66. (1: 220mm)

I'm having new one built, Mausingfield Action, 26" barrel and hoping to launch something like 160gr accubonds reasonably quickly. For longer range work the ELD-X look tempting.

I've been playing around with using the 7x64 for shooting out to 1200 at Bisley. I reckon that the 7x64 just won't quite throw the heaviest (~180gr) pills quite fast enough to shoot them well at longer ranges. With the slippery 160-168 pills it should work better. (For me the velocity trade off isn't worth it).

A note on LR Accubonds. I friend of mine used them out of his 7mm Rem Mag. on white tails in the USA. He shot 4 deer and didn't recover 2 of them. The 2 he did recover didn't have much, if any of an exit. These shots were not further than 200 yds so perhaps be careful if you use the LRABs as a general hunting bullet

(Sorry for rambling reply)

An acquaintance of mine did a hunting trip to Mongolia in the early 2,000s and subsequently ran a number of commercial guided hunts to Mongolia. He advised that the standard sporting rifle there was: the Brno ZKK 600, chambered in 7x64 and that shots were upward of 200 metres.

I shoot 280ai very often, it has become my go to rifle for almost all the hunting I do in the US. I used to be a 300rum guy, but I just can't justify it with the performance I get out of my 280.

I just bought a 7x64 in a Sako Bavarian Carbine, I haven't had a chance to shoot it much, but so far, I love it.

With any luck I should be taking a deer on Saturday with my 7x64. I’ll have to see how the long range accubonds do

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HoraceBrei

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!