7mm-08 a not so hidden gem

thriller,
a 130 gn 270, 140 gn 7mm, and a 150 gn 308 are all ideal on pigs for both body and head shots.
the trouble with headshots on pigs is where their brain is - high in the head.
bruce.
@bruce moulds
117gn 25 cal, 225gn 25 cal, 135&150 303 cal or 265gnFTX 44 cal as well Bruce. Plus a heap of others mate.
Bob

.280 Rem and 7mm-08 are not big in South Africa.

Dont think they do anything the 7x57 and 7x64 dont already do well.
There is an answer to the original post

@bruce moulds
117gn 25 cal, 225gn 25 cal, 135&150 303 cal or 265gnFTX 44 cal as well Bruce. Plus a heap of others mate.
Bob
bob, also 100 gn sierras are good on pigs in 25 cal as well as 120 gn in 6.5.
you just don't need heavy for calibre bullets for pigs, or super controlled expansion.
I will not include varmint rifles the 243 here.
bruce.

bob, also 100 gn sierras are good on pigs in 25 cal as well as 120 gn in 6.5.
you just don't need heavy for calibre bullets for pigs, or super controlled expansion.
I will not include varmint rifles the 243 here.
bruce.
@bruce moulds
It's good you won't mention varmit rounds and never mention the 243 in any sentences regarding hunting.
Bob

Have Bob n Bruce seen the .280 on used guns.? $600 Mmm i would like that but to mych on my plate

thriller,
a 130 gn 270, 140 gn 7mm, and a 150 gn 308 are all ideal on pigs for both body and head shots.
bruce.
Shooting around 100 hogs with my 7-08 made me think otherwise and I wouldn’t keep another one if it was given to me for free but you can like whatever you want I just didn’t see any added benefit to the round over a 308.

thriller,
bruce.
Thanks for lesson on hogs but I shoot about 150-200 per year. With my 308.

Im not sure there is an added benefit, its just personal preference i think.
My 7-08 with 140gn has far less tecoil than the .308 168gn in the same platform .

The benefits may be for people looking for a reduction in recoil for smaller shooters etc.
The 140gn Winchester factory load using soft points drops hogs. It works.
.308 will always have more followers.
The 7mm-08 is capable and i shoot pests from a car so i have found it well suited. I would like to build a lightweight 7mm-08 just because. Or a Rem model 7

For a truck gun for hogs. A Tikka CTR in 7mm-08 should not dissapoint bit i dont think Tikka have much following in the States.

Hey Bob, have I ever mentioned I love the .243 for deer hunting?;) :A Stirring: :E Frightened: :A Outta:
@Ragman
No and hopefully you don't I DONT like that horrible little caliber. To big for small game and to small for medium game.
Bob

@CBH Australia
Chris I know I'm flogging a dead horse but nothing can make me like it. Just the thought of having to use one because it's the last gun on earth sends me into a case of the horrors.
It's to big to be a .224 and to small to be a 257. A .224 will do anything it can do with projectiles up to 80 grains. The .257 takes over from there up to 120grains. Henceforth where does the .243 fit. NOWHERE that isn't already covered.
Bob

and you would find that 7mm 140 gn bullets would kill them all.
bruce.
False but whatever floats your boat I still wouldn’t use one I have and I hated the gun and round. It’s ok that you like it I just didn’t.

@CBH Australia
Chris took me a while to figure out the emojis but I think I got it.
Your think I'm one eyed.
Love stirring the pot
But I can't figure out why your hiding under the chair unless you don't like admitting you use a 243.
Last one you better get our of here before your mates find out you use a 243
Haha haha
Bob

CBH
Chris
My daughter is a strange one mate. At her house she is a vegetarian but doesn't push it in others . Strange part is when she comes home to see Dad the first question she asks is have you got any venison, goat or wild pork. She turns carnivore when she comes home. She also likes shooting.
If you or any one on this forum can figure out the female psyche please let me know.
Cheers mate Bob
Even the good lord can’t figure them out. That’s why we no longer reside in the garden of Eden:(

Im not sure there is an added benefit, its just personal preference i think.
My 7-08 with 140gn has far less tecoil than the .308 168gn in the same platform .

The benefits may be for people looking for a reduction in recoil for smaller shooters etc.
The 140gn Winchester factory load using soft points drops hogs. It works.
.308 will always have more followers.
The 7mm-08 is capable and i shoot pests from a car so i have found it well suited. I would like to build a lightweight 7mm-08 just because. Or a Rem model 7

For a truck gun for hogs. A Tikka CTR in 7mm-08 should not dissapoint bit i dont think Tikka have much following in the States.
When I was 8 years old my father bought me my first rifle which was a Remington Model 7 in 7mm08. I love the cartridge for its flat shooting ballistics, granted it’s not a 22-250, but it’s capable of making 400 yard shots on deer sized game. I’ve killed many wtetail over 300 yards.

I agree that it’s great for beginners and shooters looking for reduced recoil. I bought my wife a Ruger American Compact 7mm08 just for this reason.

If you hand load, the cartridge becomes even more versatile with a plethora of 7mm bullet weights. In my opinion it stacks up against the 308 well and has advantages over the 308.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarinVvw21

Latest profile posts

Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg
Unforgettable memories of my first hunting safari with Arub Safaris in Namibia (Khomas Hochland) !!!

Namibia.jpg
Oryx.jpg
Kudu.jpg
ghay wrote on Joel Rouvaldt's profile.
Love your rifle! I'm needing a heavier rifle for Africa. Sold my .375 Dakota Safari several trips ago. Would you have any interest in a trade of some sort involving the custom 338/06 I have listed here on the site ( I have some room on my asking price. I also have a large quantity of the reloading components and new Redding dies as well as a box of A-Square Dead Tough ammo.