6x45 caliber on small game

Raptor

Reaction score
Hi all , has anyone hunted with this caliber before (6x45) . I read an article in the Magnum magazine about this caliber an it seems like the ideal small game rifle . This will be my sons first rifle , it shoots a 6mm bullet at 2400fps . According to the article that was written by Gregor Woods the penetration at bushveldt distances is phenomenal .

I would be confident with it with anything up to hartebeest sized game with ranges not beyond 150 meters. With good premium bullets of course.

It's a very old article btw I still remember it.

I remember that article as well.

With quality bullets a good scope and the shooter ensuring good shot placement it will do the job.

It has light recoil and might be the ideal calibre to start a youngster on or for a lady hunter...

I have been thinking of building one of these rifles for a tiny ten safari. I think pushing an 85 gr Barnes TX would be just the ticket.

Was with when a kudubull was shot full frontal at 150m with an 100gr Ken steward round nose bullet,bullet was recovered in thigh.

I built my first 6x45 some 30 years ago. I still have that rifle and have shot a lot of game with it. I have culled Kudu, Springbok, Hartebeest, and Impala with it. I have shot Mule deer, Pronghorn, Rockchucks, coyotes and other varmints. All one shot kills btw and thats a better record than my .416 Rem I think!

I use only two bullets for big game, the 75 gr. Barnes X no longer available but I still have a small supply and my all time favorite bullet is Gerards GS Customs 75 gr. Monolithic Hollow Point. Both will out penetrate or at least equal any 100 gr. bullet.

For varmints I like the light Nosler Bal. tips and the great 60 gr. Sierra HP..

My rifle is a Sako L-461 with a 3 pos. mod. 70 type safety that Tony Barnes built out of a piece of bull barrel. A Douglas barrel, and a 0 tolerance bench rest chamber. It is stocke in dark red full fiddle back claro that Tony had and took 28 LPI checkering, I have never seen a piece of claro that hard or as Jack Belk said, that piece of wood is "harder than Woodpecker Lips" Barrel is 18 inches and the gun looks like an old English big bore..I shot a couple of 10 shot groups with it that mic .265 and .510, not too shabby..Its the most accurate rifle I have ever owned, thus the 30 years without selling it.

Great gun and great caliber.

hi gents

I've been reading your thread, and hope that i'm not hijacking it...
The 6x45 has a serious following here in RSA! And at one stage, factory ammo was readily available.
A 6mm bullet of 100g traveling at +-2300fps is deadly medicine for up to blesbok, and some use it on even larger game. With lighter 60 - 70g bullets, pushed 2700+fps, it could be used for springbok and other small game (given the right conditions)

So back to my question! :)

I'm in the process of buying a Brno Mod.2 in 222, and looking to convert it to 6x45. Does anyone know how hard the conversion will be? i know i need a 6mm barrel, but does anyone know if the magazine will accomodate the longer overall length of the 6x45 (as apposed to the 222 :) )

Thanks a lot!

Marshy

Marshy I don't know about the .222 thing I have a Zastava 6x45 and spitzer rounds in 100gr dont fit into the magazine without trimming the points about 2 gr of(That is factory bullets)

Plongeur,

Could i ask who 'smithed your 6x45 for you? also, what did it cos, and do you know anywhere where i could find a mini Zastava action?

:)

oh! and try the 100g flat-bottom bullets :) i believe that might solve the problem ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YvonnePaws

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg