505 gibbs load suggestion

How has your experience been with your 505 Gibbs? I've gotten the 505 bug & it's pretty bad.

I've been shooting an 11.5 lb AHR CZ 550 #3 package in 450 Rigby with 500gr A-Frames & it's pretty darn brisk with a brake. The stock doesn't fit me the best so.....why not get another rifle??

The 505 I'm looking at is 12.5 lbs w/o brake. I'm thinking the recoil may be similar if I keep the velocity with 570gr Swift A-Frames, 600gr CPS's to 2100 fps or so. My gunsmith has lead me to believe the recoil will be very similar. I'm not sure if I've lost my mind or if I need a frontal lobotomy.
My mrc 505 weighs 11.6 lbs and my cz 458 Lott is 8.6 lbs. the 505 with 600s kicks way more

The most serious big-bore shooters I've known (a father/son team of PH's in Africa) had a standing-height benchrest for testing the big ones. You can come pretty close to the same thing with shooting sticks, or shooting off a rest on the hood of a full-sized pickup.

I've done my share of shooting the .505 and .500 NE and you can have 'em. Have also fired a .600 NE and found it much easier, mostly because it weighed a lot more!

I’ve built a nice load using Doctari’s Dzombo’s which I got from him when he left SA for Texas. I get 2150 fps using 124gr of S365. This is in my Heym actioned rifle which I had local smith Klintworth extend the magazine to allow me to hold 4 +1 . I have emptied the mag on a target to check feeding . It certainly gets your attention but my reasoning is that since this is my elephant back up gun a bit of pain on shoulder is worth the insurance! I added a kick eze pad to lengthen the pull to 16 inches and that has tamed the beast somewhat. Interestingly my original Gibbs also had its stock extended by the previous owner Pat Bromfield- who was the first game ranger in Botswana circa 1960. I have only shot 525 hornady in this rifle. My next project is to test N560.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AshleyOyi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg