500 Nitro Crimp Die

MRBlack

AH veteran
Joined
Feb 26, 2019
Messages
218
Reaction score
467
Location
Missouri Ozarks
Media
10
Hunted
South Africa, United States
Has anyone had any luck finding something similar to the Lee crimp die for 500 NE? I am using a set of Hornady dies and I am not overly impressed with the roll crimp. What have you all found is the best way to crimp? Thanks in advance!
 
I had lee custom make their Factory Crimp Die of my 500 Sharps. The Sharps is .5" shorter but otherwise quite similar to a 500 NE so I suspect they could do it. They did balk at doing it but eventually capitulated; never hurts to ask.
 
I don't have a 500 but do have a 470 ne. I use the RCBS dies or sometimes the Redding die to crimp after the bullet has been seated as an extra step never together. Works for me.
 
I have never done anything more than a slight roll crimp using seating dies and never had a problem. It has always worked well on both bolt action and double rifle cartridges.
 
Nothing works as well as a LEE FCD for crimping. Any type of roll crimp shoulder mechanically pushes down the axis of the case as the crimp is applied. Always some likelihood the process will actually lessen neck tension in the process or cause variability of that tension. Not so with the collet system of the Lee Factory Crimp Die.
 
Anthony George here in Australia makes custom FCDs. If things don’t pan out with Lee, let me know and I can send you details.
 
CH Tool makes a wonderful taper crimp die that has proven awesome for me. Loved it for my 450NE that I ended up getting one for my 450/400 and 500 as well. They had them in stock.
 
No matter how you end up crimping, always a good idea to test the effectiveness. For double rifles, fire a few full power loads, leaving a test round, unfired, in one side. For the test round, mark bullet to mouth junction- a dab of correction fluid works. After firing 5 or so rounds with test round in chamber, carefully measure COAL of test round and inspect junction between bullet and mouth for movement.
 
Anthony George here in Australia makes custom FCDs. If things don’t pan out with Lee, let me know and I can send you details.
I could probably make good use of this option if the offer extends and an F.C.D. for 450/400 NE3" were possible. My last effort to get custom dies from Redding was unsuccessful which I accepted..but they sent the empty shells and projectile back and that didnt do me any favours with Border Force / Customs. If I'd known, I would have had the paperwork handy but I didnt.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,281
Messages
1,571,625
Members
169,384
Latest member
SanfordVes
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top