.500 Jeffery

FMJ NO NO NO......
These are the other 600's. that came with.
1705269696334.png

The below, I ordered with 570 A-Frames .. & this is what was delivered.?
Life is full of mysteries ...
1705269902043.png
 
@IvW All the Factory: Kynoch, Norma 570's, 540's, 535's are FMJ
And the Specified loads are split: 600grn FMJ or SN @ 2100fps.

What's wrong with the Woodleigh's here? if you care to share.
Many thanks.
 
Everyone can have their own personal opinion about the use of what kind of bullets, but when it comes to elephant hunting, and the cartridge 500 Jeffery was developed primarily for that purpose, there is no question that full metal jacket bullets or solids should be used. From a bigger caliber size, it hardly matters anymore whether a bullet expands a little bit or not, which makes the use of SP bullets of this caliber unnecessary.

In the case of the cartridge 500 Jeffery, it can be discussed whether 535gr FMJ or 600gr FMJ bullets should be used. A good alternative might be the Hydrostatically Stabilised bullets from Woodleigh, but no experience with it.
 
Everyone can have their own personal opinion about the use of what kind of bullets, but when it comes to elephant hunting, and the cartridge 500 Jeffery was developed primarily for that purpose, there is no question that full metal jacket bullets or solids should be used. From a bigger caliber size, it hardly matters anymore whether a bullet expands a little bit or not, which makes the use of SP bullets of this caliber unnecessary.

In the case of the cartridge 500 Jeffery, it can be discussed whether 535gr FMJ or 600gr FMJ bullets should be used. A good alternative might be the Hydrostatically Stabilised bullets from Woodleigh, but no experience with it.
Thank you, really. Well stated.
@grand veneur : Those are a nice collection.
@buckstix : you'll absolutely love it.
 
@IvW All the Factory: Kynoch, Norma 570's, 540's, 535's are FMJ
And the Specified loads are split: 600grn FMJ or SN @ 2100fps.

What's wrong with the Woodleigh's here? if you care to share.
Many thanks.
Well as stated each can have there own opinion or what they want to use.
I have always preffered useing heavy for caliber bullets and I dont like FMJ bullets and prefer solid brass meplat bullets.
I got given 2 boxes off Superior ammunition loaded with fmj 535gr bullets. They did not perform very well for me. Riveting and deforming.
Used them on pg and kept the brass.

570gr and 600gr outperform 535gr. I dont wish to experiment either. Once one has a combination that works everytime one should stick with it.
 
So that there are no misunderstandings, when I mean FMJ bullets I also mean monolithic solid bullets.

Because I am a little older, I only used FMJ bullets, but saw how monolithic bullets increasingly came onto the market. I am not an opponent of these bullets as long as one can shoot them safely and accurate in all types of rifles.
 
These are good write ups, @IvW @grand veneur : I get a little lost in theory of today's available solid's, Monolithics's, etc. Still asking, researching.
Many thanks.

Never knowing the original owner, merely curious where 600grn, 2100fps came about.
 
Not sure either but I've always heard that was a standard 500J load with a 600g Woodleigh. Seems like it would work :)
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,425
Messages
1,575,866
Members
170,414
Latest member
Freddy30K
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

Hornedfrogbbq wrote on Rhoyland4's profile.
Do you mind me asking what auction you are referencing? I'm not in the market for any of those rifles...just curious.

Frosty in Fort Worth
K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
 
Top