500 Jeffery Project

dogfog1

New member
Joined
Sep 20, 2011
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
Hi,

Being left handed and looking for rifle for a basis of the 500 Jeffery project, has anyone built one on say a Weatherby or Remington RUM action rifle.

A quality new barrel would be far cheaper than finding a LH safari rifle in that calibre.

Any idea's

Many Thanks

G
 
I bought my CZ 550 from the CZ Custom Shop in 375 H&H (right handed) some years ago. After a couple of years I decided it didn't have enough recoil so had Harlan Satrang at the CZ Custom Shop rechamber/rebarrel it to 500 Jeffery. I love the gun. You could call Harlan and ask him what it would cost to build you a left handed one. Here's a link.

Safari Classics | Triple River Gunsmithing

Here's a picture of my 500 Jeffery



My son's left handed also, I thought about buying him a GMA Left handed action in 505 Gibbs, putting a Krieger barrel on it but sanity prevailed and I found him a LH Winchester stainless M70 Classic in 416 Remington.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0005-1.jpg
    IMG_0005-1.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 259
Yes !!! Fabulous ! :devil::devil:
"African Weapon par excellence" as we say!
 
Re hello from France,
One of the best gunmakers in Europa , a french gunmaker.

http://www.dorleac-dorleac.com/

Old english style ... ultra hight quality ! :acclaim:

prices ... not for my possibilities ...:crying:
 
I bought my CZ 550 from the CZ Custom Shop in 375 H&H (right handed) some years ago. After a couple of years I decided it didn't have enough recoil so had Harlan Satrang at the CZ Custom Shop rechamber/rebarrel it to 500 Jeffery. I love the gun. You could call Harlan and ask him what it would cost to build you a left handed one. Here's a link.

Safari Classics | Triple River Gunsmithing

Here's a picture of my 500 Jeffery



My son's left handed also, I thought about buying him a GMA Left handed action in 505 Gibbs, putting a Krieger barrel on it but sanity prevailed and I found him a LH Winchester stainless M70 Classic in 416 Remington.

My 500 Jeffery has a 1 in 10" twist McGowen barrel. It will twist a bit in your hands with stiff loads. Here's a three shot group taken at 50 yards (no false advertising) shooting 570g TSX's at 2410 fps . If you haven't shot one of the big 50s before, I recommend you do. The recoil can be a little sporty ...

 

Attachments

  • 570TSX_105g_H4895.jpg
    570TSX_105g_H4895.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 234
I M P R E S S I V E !
Like with a .22LR ....:clapping:
Stronger ? maybe ...
 
I M P R E S S I V E !
Like with a .22LR ....:clapping:
Stronger ? maybe ...

Thanks bebo the credit goes to the gunsmith, Harland Satrang of the CZ Custom Shop and the barrel maker McGowan. Even I can shoot off of a rest ...

:)
 
Hi Colorado,

That is a nice gun, I did speak to CZ Custom a while back about doing me a LH version and never followed it up after I got a rough price. Didn't really want to spend a that much at the time. That's why I was looking for a straight LH rifle to re-barrel.

G
 
Hi,

Finally got the project started, a gunsmith is re- barrelling a Weatherby MK5 sleeper in 460 to 500 Jeffery, so the long wait for perfection has just started.

G
 
Hi,

Finally got the project started, a gunsmith is re- barrelling a Weatherby MK5 sleeper in 460 to 500 Jeffery, so the long wait for perfection has just started.

G

Long wait ... Let's keep in touch!
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,265
Messages
1,571,022
Members
169,227
Latest member
SusieParra
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt Meister
480-410-1594
azklmsr462@gmail.com

have a great evening
autofire wrote on ThinAirHunter's profile.
I think forum prohibits making reference or giving personal references to PH/Outfitters that don't advertise on this forum.

But you can call me. I would be happy to discuss Cape Buffalo .

Bob 813-310-6992
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
curt672 wrote on Robmill70's profile.
So What's the story on the 340 ??? thanks Curt
 
Top