500 Jeffery 535gr load data, does anyone have INFO?

uplander01

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA, SCI
Hunted
Zimbabwe,Namibia, Mozambique, Canada (BC, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Newfoundland, Oueen Charlette Isl), USA Rocky Mountain Region, Alaska
Hello ALL

Trying to start gathering information on 500 jeffery hand loading information, particularly for woodleigh 535gr bullets. Would like to have a reasonable load at 2200ish. Can anyone snap a pic out of the woodleigh loading manual, I can't find one anywhere?

570gr are a much better bullet weight for the 500 Jeff

Not opposed at all to using 570,....I'm just having trouble finding data in general. loaddata.com has a few but not much.

With such a short neck on the case I figured a 535 might stay a little straighter during seating but I could be off base there?

Manual
20210503_005646.jpg

@colorado has done quite a bit of work with the 500 Jeff

Sorry, don't know how I missed this post. I shoot the 570g TSX at 2300 fps. I use Jamison brass, CCI 250 (large rifle magnum primers) and 103g of H4895. This load is straight out of the book "Any Shot You Want". Recoil is "sporty". Your 535g load looks good and probably will kill any land animal with less recoil :)

This data is from Pierre van der Walt most excellent book:
"African Dangerous Game Cartridges" published by Pathfinder Adventure Books, Johannesburg, South Africa copyright 2011.

If you can, buy a copy of this book as it is the most informative, detailed, scientific, and interesting of African cartridges .

The section on the .500 Jeffery is very informative, as to the true origins of from the 12.7x70mm Schuler, the various cartridge dimensions, and the final CIP specs.
I had a CZ 550 in this cartridge.
Loading data is from this book, from the Barnes Reloading Manual #4, 2008.

As usual, use good reloading practices, starting 5% below start loads, and work up, in case your chamber and leade dimensions vary from CIP standards.

START LOAD MAX LOAD VELOCITY
Alliant Rel-15 106 grains Max 114 grains Velocity 2440 fps
Hogdgon Varget 101 grains Max 108 grains Velocity 2407 fps
IMR-4895 99 grains Max 107 grains Velocity 2394 fps

Hope this is helpful.

Hello ALL

Trying to start gathering information on 500 jeffery hand loading information, particularly for woodleigh 535gr bullets. Would like to have a reasonable load at 2200ish. Can anyone snap a pic out of the woodleigh loading manual, I can't find one anywhere?
@uplander01
I can check load from a disc for you if you want.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LucaFitzgi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross