cal pappas

Contributor
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Fellas:
I have far more bullets than I need. For sale are some cast bullets for the .500 black powder express, approximately 350 grains, sized to .510” and powder coated. The bullets are in a 30-cal ammo can and the weight is 33 1/2 pounds with the top off the ammo can. I approximate 32 pounds of bullets.

32 pounds x 7000 grains to the pound is 224,000 grains
Divided by 350 grains per bullet equals 640 bullets.
Check my figures as I was a history teacher, not a math teacher.
Price is $300 plus shipping. I will keep the bullets in the ammo can and the can will fit in a medium flat rate box. Shipping and insurance is $22. Still, for 600+ bullets the price I think is fair.

If you believe the price too high, please consider my time to gather wheel weights from the local garage, 2-3 hours to melt and flux the lead into clean one pound ingots, my time to cast was over three hours, two hours to size, and one hour to powder coat. Time wise it’s not a money maker but, as mentioned, I have way too much stuff to carry over to the next world when I pass on.

I have been using this mould for 30 years and the bullets shoot very well. I also use them in 50-caliber Winchester express lever action rifles as well as several bpe doubles I have owned over the decades.

Thanks for looking and your consideration.
Cal

I would take 100 but 600+ is too many for me. I have a win 1876 that they would be perfect in.

Thanks for your message.
I have one gent thinking on the lot. If he passes I will consider breaking them up.
So, you have an express 1876? I have one and have been shooting these bullets since the early 1990s when I purchased it. I use 35 grains of IMR 4198. In fact I was shooting it just yesterday. If you do a lot of shooting, as do I, you'll go through 600 bullets in a year or two. I'd like to see a pic of your rifle.
Cheers,
Cal

Thanks for your message.
I have one gent thinking on the lot. If he passes I will consider breaking them up.
So, you have an express 1876? I have one and have been shooting these bullets since the early 1990s when I purchased it. I use 35 grains of IMR 4198. In fact I was shooting it just yesterday. If you do a lot of shooting, as do I, you'll go through 600 bullets in a year or two. I'd like to see a pic of your rifle.
Cheers,
Cal
My load is about the same with 4198. Here is a pic of the rifle. The second pic is the .50-95 next to a mod 94 for size comparison.

294ED541-7A9A-45A9-8AC2-763A6065A3BA.jpeg
E5FF2BFE-71EF-4146-AD3B-95B6F2DB0B43.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, a pleasure to see your rifle. The '76 is a massive weapon. I bought my rifle in the mid-1980s, sold it in the mid 1990s when I began an interest in double rifles. Saw it at Vintage Doubles three years ago and immediately bought it back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elisabeth1

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross