.475 No2

redriverjake

AH veteran
Joined
Sep 25, 2011
Messages
160
Reaction score
272
Media
7
Hunted
Zambia, Tanzania, USA, Mexico, Europe, Middle East, Australia,
Other than the .475 No2 being a fantastic looking round, what do ya'll think about it in general ?
 
Great cartridge, would make sure that ammo is available that it's regulated for.
 
I've just read that some of the old hunter's would chose the 470 over the 475's. So it would probly be a reloading situation ?
 
The .475 No. 2 Nitro Express is a British rifle cartridge.

One of several rounds (including the .470, .475, and .476 Nitro Express)[1] designed and introduced between 1905 and 1910,[2] after the British Army banned the .450, in India and the Sudan,[3] all with comparable performance,[4] the .475 No. 2 was used in a number of double rifles. In addition, Jeffery chambered a slightly less powerful loading in his rifles.

A good general purpose round, it is suitable for all big game,[3] though somewhat overpowered for anything in North America.[3] Its power is almost identical to the .458 Winchester Magnum,[3] with a larger diameter bullet; whether this is an advantage remains in dispute.[5]

The standard factory load used 85 gr (5.51 g) of cordite over a 480 gr (31.1 g) slug, while Jeffery used a 480 gr (32.4 g) bullet which dropped 0.6 in (15 mm) more at 200 yd (180 m).[3]

That was taken from Wikipedia!

I'm thinking, I'd rather have 458 Win, ammo is cheap and availability is very good.
 
Considering that we live in the times we do I'm inclined to agree with you .
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,383
Messages
1,574,664
Members
170,087
Latest member
HeikeFenne
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top