Lifetime bronze benefactor
Platinum supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Everyone need your help please. Shootest43 has as he always does been so kind to run a QL scenario for me. I am shooting my Merkle 470 NE with 24 inch barrel using Barnes 500 TSX bullets. The Barnes site said to use IMR4831 as the best powder. With that powder and bullet Shootest43 is able to work up a load for me that generates 2027 FPS which is fine for me coming in just under the max pressure. The fill rate is 84%. Here is my questions please:
1. Do I need a filler with a shell fill rate of 84% like I used with my 500 NE?
2. If I do still need a filler what will that filler do to increasing the pressure?

Thanks so much everyone for your help and expertise!!!!

I do not use filler with my 4350 and 4831 loads in the 470NE.

I use IMR4831 105.0 GRAINS no filler excellent accuracy MV=2160FPS
ALSO you can use RUTUMBO powder with excelent filling capacity no filler needed

Thanks everyone! It seems for mildest recoil RL 15 with a filler is the best choice

RL15 is a great choice for the 470, definitely reduces the recoil compared to slower burning powders like RL19.

JJ just also replied to me about using the RL 15. I have both RL 15 and IMR4831. I will keep the latter as back up

What did JJ say. I am getting ready to load some RL15

I shared with him IMR4831 producing 2027 FPS at 90.5 grains versus 81 grains of RL15 at 81 grains producing 2012 FPS. JJ told me to absolutely go with the RL 15 load

Not trying to hijack the thread, but the title is very applicable

This one is worse than most but any idea what's up with this? Sizing die in contact with shell holder. Wont happen if I back off the sizing die, but then it doesnt size the full length of the neck, can actually see it step up in diameter before the shoulder.

.470NE Redding Dies, Barnes Brass. Not as bad with Swift nickel brass
20230409_114640.jpg

First an update. I bought RL 15.5 at 86 grains producing 2052 FPS.

I believe that is due to lube on the shoulder. Remove the die and clean any residue that may be inside the sizing die.

Para45 not taking any chances. I am having JJ to give her a full review like always. He asks for 40 rounds to regulate. I told him it just might regulate on the first two shots or it may not and he will then regulate. It seems the four doubles I have had all seem to regulate around the 2050 FPS area

Para45 not taking any chances. I am having JJ to give her a full review like always. He asks for 40 rounds to regulate. I told him it just might regulate on the first two shots or it may not and he will then regulate. It seems the four doubles I have had all seem to regulate around the 2050 FPS area

Good call, let the expert do what they do best. Is this the double you are taking on your next hunt?

I believe that is due to lube on the shoulder. Remove the die and clean any residue that may be inside the sizing die.
Thanks! Buddy of mine said the same, also suggested a different lube. So will be trying both.

Good news is I think I got the a-frame load pretty good. Summary is from 30-100 yards all the shots from both different barrels are within 2.25-2.5", and groupings out of the same barrel are basically touching. Largest difference between barrels was actually at 50 yards at that 2.25" ish. 30yds was 1", 100yds was 1.25". I dont know a ton about regulation but that seems sufficient. It's a Blaser S2 so I could adjust it, i just dont think that warrants the ammo and possibility of widening it to mess with it.

Hopefully the lube fixes the case thing, and I have similar luck matching the solids to the aframe load

Not trying to hijack the thread, but the title is very applicable

This one is worse than most but any idea what's up with this? Sizing die in contact with shell holder. Wont happen if I back off the sizing die, but then it doesnt size the full length of the neck, can actually see it step up in diameter before the shoulder.

.470NE Redding Dies, Barnes Brass. Not as bad with Swift nickel brassView attachment 527625

@PARA45 is correct, to much lube. Some dies have a hole cut in them to relieve pressure.

Good call, let the expert do what they do best. Is this the double you are taking on your next hunt?
It is if I can get it back in time. Getting the gun from Ralf Martini in Canada then ASAP sending to JJ.

I agree. I just feel better having a master like JJ do everything for me including a complete review and fix if needed on any new double to me. This gives me great confidence in the gun from the start and well worth the money

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RooseveltM

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg