470 NE Crimp or Not

1peggy

AH senior member
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Spain, Germany, Zimbabwe, Zambia
Sorry if the answer is buried in a thread. I just acquired a Krieghoff 470. I plan on using H4831 and either Woodleigh, Hornady, or Swift bullets depending on how each shoot. Original regulation was Woodleigh bullets in Federal Premium Safari ammo.

Do I need to crimp? I have read about the Lee Crimp Dies and have one in 416 Rigby and 45-70 but I do not have a press for the oversize die (and do not want to buy one.)

What say exalted ones?

Any pet H4831 loads appreciated.

When loading for my 470 Nitro, I always crimped. If you can reload with your press, you should be able to crimp, I am not sure what you mean by oversized die. I use a Lee crimp die.

I mostly loaded with Reloder 15. The “standard” load is 89 grains with a foam wad.

If you are using H4831 you will need around 104 to 108 grains.

The load data is for information only. Proceed at your own risk.

One other note, in my experience there was a difference in recoil between the two powders even though they achieved the same velocity.

YES U NEED A CRIMP
H4831 I WOULD STAY AWAY FROM
RL15 IS THE POWDER OF CHOICE I USE 2gr DACRON OVER POWDER

I think the question should be why not crimp? I used a Lee FCD that needs to be special ordered. At least myself and not so long ago @BnC 04 ordered one.

Following @Mike70560’s advice to start low, I used H4831 in my .470. 109gr is my load, but again start low and work up and use a chrono if you have one to record velocity at each load increment.

YES U NEED A CRIMP
H4831 I WOULD STAY AWAY FROM
RL15 IS THE POWDER OF CHOICE I USE 2gr DACRON OVER POWDER
Are we talking about pillow stuffing? Do you measure it and does it change the load data. If you have a pic that would be great.

I used 1” thick foam, punched it out with a shortened 470 case and a hammer.

I believe Trader Keith sells some precut foam wads but they are pricey.

As @PHOENIX PHIL stated i placed my order with Lee and the return time was much less than their estimated time they first provided so that was nice.
Makes crimping a breeze.

I just roll crimp with a seating die, has always proven to be more than enough. When having to use a case filler I use open cell foam.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FlynnHeini

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.