.460 weatherby

I'd hate to even think of shooting that rifle from the prone positions that the bipod suggest.
 
Hello dear all big game hunters!!

shall highly appreciate the comments on a Weatherby .460 Weatherby M rifle, would like to gather information on its practical performance in Africa as have just procured this exquisite Mark V deluxe rifle lately.

Regards

Monish
I used a .460 Weather in Tanzania in 1972. I am 6’2” and 225 lbs and I practiced weekly for a year before my first and only safari. What I see about the penetration of this rifle is an understatement. A shot into the shoulder of a Cape buffalo was recovered under the skin in his rump. A shot entering the neck of an elephant (he had his trunk and head raised) exited between the shoulders after shattering the spine.

After this my PH had a bleeding ear and I couldn’t hear anything for two hours afterwards. On previous shots I used ear protection which has its own downside.

A test shot fired into a mvule tree (hardwood) went through 32” and exited.

Despite this performance, I would have used something lighter if I had it to over again.

A few years later my PH visited and we went to the old Weatherby shop in South Gate. Roy Weatherby was there in his office in the back of the shop. He said that they had come up with the .460 mostly for advertising purposes so they could say they had the most powerful rifle. He also said they were surprised at the sales of the .458 Winchester which had come out earlier. He also mentioned the .40 caliber limit that some African countries we’re putting on hunting for thick skinned game.

he said that he considered the .378 more than adequate for anything on this planet and that he had not personally fired a .460 and had no plans to do so.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,308
Messages
1,572,367
Members
169,546
Latest member
MariaCross
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top