Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Member of
Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Hunted
United States, South Africa
Good morning, all-

I thought I would tap into this vast knowledge base to get your thoughts on converting an FNX Tactical to .460 Rowland. I don't have any first hand experience with this round, but I was turned onto it by one of the firearms associates at the local gun store.

The .460 is quite a powerhouse: essentially a .44 Magnum on a modified .45 ACP platform. Case length is 1/16" greater than that of the ACP, but OAL remains the same by seating the bullet deeper. Essentially, this is similar to the relationship of a .357/.38 Special. The beauty is the fact that I can still fire .45 after the conversion. Mechanically, the pistol remains the same, with the exception of the chamber being lengthened. Additionally, company provides a stiffer recoil spring and a muzzle brake to prevent the slide from slamming back too hard and fast, due to the increased pressures.

I have been in direct contact with Rowland. According to them, the FNX is a very good platform for this conversion, as it has a fully supported barrel.

At any rate, do any of you have any experience with this round? I am certainly intrigued by it, and the potential to have 15+1 on board of .44 level power, and (supposedly) increased accuracy.

I should also make mention that this pistol will not be used for high volume shooting. Rather, my "woods gun" while fishing, hiking, etc. Also, I would like to use it for these small southern whitetails, wild hogs, and possibly bear (with dogs).

Thank you all in advance.

The big round for a 45 sized bullet is the 255gr hardcast.

It has a sectional density of 179, that's poor, the 147gr 9mm is 169, the 220gr 10mm is 196.

All are poor, you're 460 rowland will not be a 44 mag, any comparison usually compares about the worst 44 mag loads to the 460 loads, which are essentially a custom market load. The 340gr 44 mag is .260 something sectional density, this is better, good, not great, but about as good as can be expected in a revolver. Several calibers for revolvers will hit this mid 250s area. About the only caliber I can think of that does better with over the counter ammo is the 500 S&W, the 700gr for that has a 400 sectional density.

Of course you can buy custom molds and cast your own bullets as you see fit. You'd need a bullet at about 380 grains to match the 340 in the 44 mag and 427 grains gets you a 300 sectional density.

But go for it, sounds fun, there are worse ways to spend money and it does have more power than the 45acp. Hopefully that 255gr will drive straight and deep when you need it, bullet tech being what it is... it may very well be ok.

460 Rowlands have a track record of needing work to make them 100% reliable if you do a conversion. May be best to send direct to them to make it 100% reliable. Can also be good right out the gate. Im sure it will be a fun project either way.

I tried a 460 Rowland on Glock and quickly sold it.

Biggest issue was reliability. You are trying to cram more power into the system then it was designed for. I probably could have got it working, eventually. But I wouldn't have trusted it for bear defense without running hundreds of expensive rounds through it.

Second it has almost 44 Mag power but not quite. But the bullets are round tipped not flat like cast bullets in a 44. So I'd expect less tissue damage then a 44 mag. The 10mm Glock was less fussy a had almost as much pentration. So I kept the 10mm and sold the 460.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnT3006

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg