458 Win Mag. Short Barrel Chrono Results...

I put the ole 458 Win to a very strict test this evening.
258 gr CEB Socom bullet.
2800 fps muzzle velocity.
50 yard impact distance.
Deer weight 60lbs.
Tracking distance....zero yards
Field notes. ALWAYS....and I mean ALWAYS....use enough gun. :)
60lb deer? Are you sure you didn't shoot the neighbor's yellow lab? Ha! Ha! Ha!

Toby 458,
Interesting report, thank you.
Your 370 grain load is the same velocity as my 350 grain NF 350 SS in my 1886 45-90 ( 458 2.4) rifle.
My NF 450 grain is 2150 fps and as you would expect is deadly on ele, Buff , etc.
52608_600x400.jpg

I am just about to run some 45-90 Express loads over my chrony to get more exact data, but looks good now. Same loads for my 45-90 DR when testing with my 1886 is done.

Last edited by a moderator:
Deer weight 60lbs.
Field notes. ALWAYS....and I mean ALWAYS....use enough gun.
Never ever underestimate those dangerous Deer....... you may be glad you had that 458 for this mission....... 375 caliber may not have accomplished the mission, and you might not have been around to tell the tale.........I am just happy to hear you came out unscathed in the battle..........
:ROFLMAO:

I put the ole 458 Win to a very strict test this evening.
258 gr CEB Socom bullet.
2800 fps muzzle velocity.
50 yard impact distance.
Deer weight 60lbs.
Field notes. ALWAYS....and I mean ALWAYS....use enough gun. :)
Outstanding!!
Always, Always use enough gun.

Suppose that reinforces that the 458 Winchester we kill them all, be they be big or small.

Were you able to do a forensic bullet wound investigation ?

Yes, it was a battle for the ages. I'm currently thinking about writing a book about this hair raising experience! Lol!
As for forensics, I did skin her myself, and the damage was typical of most any fast moving rifle wound. Caliber sized hole going in, and quarter sized coming out. But when it hit her, it bowled her over like she got hit with a boat paddle. Lol!

Toby...... I would suspect very strongly that the blades from the Raptor also exited.... probably 8-10 inches away from center...... unless they got caught up on a bone or something....... ??? No way those blades would stay in a deer, of any size unless some bone was involved. Not sure you paid attention to that while skinning.......? Insides should have been mostly soup.......

Toby...... I would suspect very strongly that the blades from the Raptor also exited.... probably 8-10 inches away from center...... unless they got caught up on a bone or something....... ??? No way those blades would stay in a deer, of any size unless some bone was involved. Not sure you paid attention to that while skinning.......? Insides should have been mostly soup.......
I didn't notice any other exit wounds. We were skinning at night, and were in a hurry to get finished, so we didn't gut her completely out. But from what I could see, there was massive internal damage. There's not much resistance inside the ribcage on such a small deer, so maybe it wasn't enough to completely break up the front of the bullet and pedals?

No, the blades would have sheared 1.5-2 inches inside anything aqueous, and even a small deer they would have sheared no doubt....... dark, in a hurry, and you just didn't see them, that is all......

Next time, if possible, pay a little more attention, you will see them........

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jack849688

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg