.454 Casull primers?

CoElkHunter

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA (Life), RMEF
Hunted
USA: Colorado, Wyoming, Arizona, Kansas, Nebraska, California. Ontario, Canada, RSA.
This is probably a stupid question, but I’m real adept at asking these? I recently purchased a Ruger in .454 Casull and notice the cartridge uses a small RIFLE primer. I have a couple thousand Federal AR Match small rifle primers. Will these work? Thanks!

I generally use CCI Small Rifle Magnum primers. I have previously tried Winchester Small Rifle primers and they worked OK. I haven't tried Federal Small Rifle primers but I know their small pistol primers have a reputation for being soft and only suitable for light target loads. Your Federal AR Match Small Rifle primers shouldn't be a problem, but the only way you'll know is to 'suck it and see'. Start with a low pressure load and work up to the heavy stuff. A chronograph is a good tool for determining the consistency of the loads and the only way to know how they perform in YOUR gun.

I generally use CCI Small Rifle Magnum primers. I have previously tried Winchester Small Rifle primers and they worked OK. I haven't tried Federal Small Rifle primers but I know their small pistol primers have a reputation for being soft and only suitable for light target loads. Your Federal AR Match Small Rifle primers shouldn't be a problem, but the only way you'll know is to 'suck it and see'. Start with a low pressure load and work up to the heavy stuff. A chronograph is a good tool for determining the consistency of the loads and the only way to know how they perform in YOUR gun.
Thanks so much for this information! My son had been reloading his 5.56 with these and I didn’t know if there was a difference between these versus regular small rifle primers?

I prefer to use mag primers in my 454. I also use H-110 powder
I might have to buy the magnum primers then, but maybe I could use these with lighter practice loads? Thanks for the powder suggestion. I also noticed in my Hornady manual W296 ? is listed for this cartridge with different bullet weights? I haven’t reloaded handgun cartridges in years and this is the first larger bore handgun I’ve owned. I’m just trying to get the proper components together right now. Thanks!

I’ve used both magnum and non magnum small rifle primers, mostly CCI 400 & 450, in Casull loads with similar results from both. Winchester small rifle primers will do also. What you need to watch for is possible primer flow in the higher end loads with the Federal primers, or ignition problems if hunting in below 0* temps.

If you run 300 grain bullets with around 17.0 grains of HS-6, you should have no problem with the Federal primers. The Ruger isn’t going to stand up to Freedom Arms dinosaur killer loads anyway, unless Ruger has made significant changes since I sold mine.

Ultimately, it’s going to boil down to whatever combination your revolver likes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OdessaHayg

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.