450/400 NE 3" for Elephant

Aussie_Hunter

AH elite
Joined
Jan 30, 2020
Messages
1,331
Reaction score
4,988
Media
101
Hunting reports
Africa
1
Australia/NZ
2
I have been searching the forum and can't seem to find anything specific on the 450/400 for elephant, it's probably on here somewhere I just can't find it?

I'm considering an elephant hunt for 2027, if I end up doing the hunt I really want to use my double in 450/400 NE 3". I know mostly what I see and hear is the 450/400 is capable for elephant. But I'd really like to hear from people that have used the 450/400 on elephant and what their thoughts are, ammo used etc.

My 450/400 regulates well at 2090-2100fps with Woodleigh softs, haven't worked up a load with solids just yet but when I do it will be with Hornady 400 grain DGS. I would also like to hear thoughts on this load as I'm pretty sure regulation with the DGS bullets will be simialr velocity to the load I have already worked up for softs.

Any thoughts, input is appreciated.
 
I plan to use mine for my 2028 elephant. It regulates well and shoots Swift Breakaway solids to the same point of aim as A-Frames. That’s what I plan to use.

I’m also interested to hear about others experiences.
 
I have been searching the forum and can't seem to find anything specific on the 450/400 for elephant, it's probably on here somewhere I just can't find it?

I'm considering an elephant hunt for 2027, if I end up doing the hunt I really want to use my double in 450/400 NE 3". I know mostly what I see and hear is the 450/400 is capable for elephant. But I'd really like to hear from people that have used the 450/400 on elephant and what their thoughts are, ammo used etc.

My 450/400 regulates well at 2090-2100fps with Woodleigh softs, haven't worked up a load with solids just yet but when I do it will be with Hornady 400 grain DGS. I would also like to hear thoughts on this load as I'm pretty sure regulation with the DGS bullets will be simialr velocity to the load I have already worked up for softs.

Any thoughts, input is appreciated.
FYI my .470ne prints 500gr Woodleigh RNSN & 500gr Hydros to same point of impact with the same load and the hydros worked great on my tuskless.
 
I have been searching the forum and can't seem to find anything specific on the 450/400 for elephant, it's probably on here somewhere I just can't find it?

@Philip Glass has shot elephant with a double chambered for 450/400 with great success.
 
I got a VC in .450/.400 3” three or so years ago. I’ve taken two bull elephant thus far. It’s a great gun. I shoot Hornady DGS (which it was regulated with).

IMG_3768.jpeg
IMG_6463.jpeg
 
Probably would need to do some LD for proper regulation, and I don't see any published data for it, but North Fork flat point solid has developed quite a reputation - they make a 400 gr cal .410

Moving forward, I'll either load their SS or flat point solid for my 404 Jeff.

Solids need to not do 2 things: come apart, or bend. All the field reports I've read don't give any indication they do either. It would be the bees knees for an ele brain shot, I think, even with 450/400.

If I ever buy a double, it'll be 450/400 3"
 
I got a VC in .450/.400 3” three or so years ago. I’ve taken two bull elephant thus far. It’s a great gun. I shoot Hornady DGS (which it was regulated with).

View attachment 795521View attachment 795520
Thats also what I have a Verney round body in 450/400. Fantastic elephants! The 450/400 with the DGS obviously works just fine on elephant.
 
Probably would need to do some LD for proper regulation, and I don't see any published data for it, but North Fork flat point solid has developed quite a reputation - they make a 400 gr cal .410

Moving forward, I'll either load their SS or flat point solid for my 404 Jeff.

Solids need to not do 2 things: come apart, or bend. All the field reports I've read don't give any indication they do either. It would be the bees knees for an ele brain shot, I think, even with 450/400.

If I ever buy a double, it'll be 450/400 3"
Unfortunately can't get North Fork where I am
 
Unfortunately can't get North Fork where I am
Bummer. 450/400 still plenty for tembo, esp with a woodleigh hydro. Never hunted ele yet, but I wouldn't hesitate with that setup.
 
I did not shoot an elephant with my .450-400 when I owned it, but it did shoot two buffalo with it. And I also shot two buffalo with a .375 H&H. I observed a comparatively greater reaction to the shot, and as good or better results with the .450-400. So If the .375 is considered adequate for elephant, I'd have to say the .450-400 is almost certainly better.
My Merkel 140AE double was regulated for Hornady factory loaded softs and solids, but had no trouble also shooting Swift A frames and North Fork cup point solids, and Woodleigh softs and solids, all to the same good groups.
 
The 450/400 NE 3" has taken MANY elephants since its creation!

Hornady DGS have proven to work... but they wouldn't be my first, second, or even third choice. If you can get Woodleigh Hydro's to work, use those! If they don't regulate, what about the standard Woodleigh FMJ?
 
Fellow forum member @Franco has taken a few elephant with his Heym 450/400 with great performance on each. He shared his decision to move up to a 500 wasn’t because the 450/400 seemed less capable to taking bulls, but had one hunt get a little western with multiple elephant charging by and if he needed to start dropping ele or doing body shots, the 500 seemed to make more sense solely in that herd scenario. He seemed to still prefer the 450/400 to the 500.
 
I'll repost an answer from Liesl @Tokoloshe Safaris on the same subject:

"My back up rifle is 450/400 Heym 88b
I also have a 470 89b and I hate to say it but the 450/400 out shoots my 470 by far.
I have been doing a-lot of Pac Elephant these last few months and the amount of penetration and damage the 450/400 does is insane. The accuracy of the rifle too."

I got to test Liesl's/ Shawn's 450/400 NE Heym 89 at about 50yrs. It has a red dot installed. The target explains the "accuracy" comment. (RB top, LB bottom).

Screenshot_20260928_140324_Gallery.jpg


Screenshot_20260928_140916_Gallery.jpg
 
I have been searching the forum and can't seem to find anything specific on the 450/400 for elephant, it's probably on here somewhere I just can't find it?

I'm considering an elephant hunt for 2027, if I end up doing the hunt I really want to use my double in 450/400 NE 3". I know mostly what I see and hear is the 450/400 is capable for elephant. But I'd really like to hear from people that have used the 450/400 on elephant and what their thoughts are, ammo used etc.

My 450/400 regulates well at 2090-2100fps with Woodleigh softs, haven't worked up a load with solids just yet but when I do it will be with Hornady 400 grain DGS. I would also like to hear thoughts on this load as I'm pretty sure regulation with the DGS bullets will be simialr velocity to the load I have already worked up for softs.

Any thoughts, input is appreciated.
Perfectly adequate for elephant. Even frontal brain shots on big bulls. Just make sure that the bullets are actually going at 2100 FPS. Hornady factory loaded DGS solids traveling at 2050 FPS sometimes fail to drop big bull elements with frontal brain shots.

A good, handy caliber with a very modest recoil.
 
Great bulls where did you take them? Did you do a hunt report?
I didn’t do reports… I will going forward after I finally did my first one this year on my Tanzania hunt
One Bull was last year with Buzz in Maetingwe on the Bots border early season
The other is a small own use management Bull in the Caprivi with Jamy Traut next to BwaBwata East (the pic made him look bigger….not intentionally)
The .450/.400 was great. I originally preferred a .470 Nitro but this pair of VCs came in and me and CME bought them at a good price. I really like the aesthetics of the VC
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,275
Messages
1,571,376
Members
169,345
Latest member
HyeFabela5
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top