.450 3.25'' Nitro Express reloading data

Solodisco

Reaction score
Hunted
United States
Does anyone know where I can find some reloading data for a .450 3.25'' NE? More specifically for a 480gr soft nose bullet. I am not interested in reloading reduced loads.

I am currently using Hornady reloading dies for this caliber.

I intend to use all reloads for practicing and not hunting.

I have experience reloading smaller caliber but this is my first big bore.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Solodisco, What powders and or bullets would you like to use? I can take a look at what QuikLoad has to say. For example, I just did a workup using a 480 Gr Hornady DGX pushed by 95.8 Gr. of
H4350 resulting in 44,166 Lbs. of pressure 4,785 Ft Lbs, of energy vel. 2119 FPS. There are several reloading data sites on line, have you looked at any of them?

This is exactly what I am looking for. I'm still searching for the reloading data sites.

I'm thinking of mostly soft nose bullets. I can not shoot solids at any of the ranges near me. Either Woodleigh or Hornady DGX.

How long are the barrels on your rifle?

In his book African Dangerous Game Cartridges, Pierre van der Walt lists 92 Gr. of H4350 pushing a 480 Gr bullet at 2125 FPS out of a 26" barrel. I have absolutely no experience with either of these loads. I'm just trying to be helpful. Use either or both of those loads at your own risk.

"barrels" suggests a double.
in which case you might get better regulation with imr 4831.
I know I did, but have no record of the load.
some achieve regulation with h4831.
burning rate faster to slower is 4350, imr4831,h4831.
slower powders require bigger charges for the same velocity, but do it usually with less pressure.
if the barrels are crossing over too close, a slower powder can help.
bruce.

Here are some loads that might work for you. I've had good luck with them in my 25" Verney-Carron;
98gr H-4831, F-215 primer
95gr IMR-4831, same primer. Both loads are in the 2120 fps.

Bruce, you are correct. My rifle is a double. Thank you so much for breaking down the differences in these powders and discussing burn rates. Those details I haven't found in my current reloading manuals for some reason. It looks like I have a good selection to work with here.

Jorge, thank you as well, you have mentioned primers. I am finding a lot of different results regarding LR or LR Magnum primers with no real answer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hi88vipsite

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg