4457 changes this past week

Some how the expiration date fell off this form on my computer. Not sure how. :whistle:

CBP Form 4457_0-1.jpg

You might be dealing with this guy. You never know.

Joburgs-dumbest-policeman.jpg

Attachments

• Joburgs-dumbest-policeman.jpg
    Joburgs-dumbest-policeman.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 137
So here's a question. My recurve is the most expensive thing I will be taking. It is custom made and no numbers of any kind. How do I account for that?

All you do Is put in a description of the bow.
I have a hand made knife with no number so all I did was describe it which is sufficient.

when i got my 4457s the officer said he didnt want anything listed except the fire arm. last two time i couldnt find any body interested in looking at our 4457s when we came home,go figure.

I have had my firearm checked about 50% of the time that I have crossed a border. None of the other items listed on my 4457's. But what if you get that one customs officer that wants to look at everything that you have with you? You just never know when it might happen.

I have had my firearm checked about 50% of the time that I have crossed a border. None of the other items listed on my 4457's. But what if you get that one customs officer that wants to look at everything that you have with you? You just never know when it might happen.

Exactly.

Just like when earlier SSI suggested not putting multiple guns on the same form just so the guns and form would match up. The form isn't to prove you bring are bringing something back, it is to prove you already owned what you came back with was already owned, but there is always that one guy....

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe others have had issues coming back with cameras, electronics, optics, etc. but I've never once been asked to provide proof of ownership (as in I was in possession of it prior to leaving the US). I've been traveling internationally for 2 decades now - business and pleasure - and the only time anyone domestically even remotely expressed interest was in NY when I returned from a Canadian moose hunt. When I first started traveling with guns through RSA, I obtained a 4457 for everything - firearms, scopes, archery equipment, optics, cameras. Aside from the firearms, most of these things have changed frequently. Since then, I've redone the firearm 4457's to have only the firearm and I've trashed all the other forms. Even after traveling to the Far East for several years, where the opportunity to by cheap electronics and cameras exists, no one questioned what I carried back.

Since my focus for the past few years has been on Zim, my upcoming trip is routed thru Dubai to completely bypass RSA and the BS at O.R. Tambo. If headed to RSA, or transient thru RSA is unavoidable, use someone like Henry or AfricaSky Quest House to get your SAPS520 pre-approved (which will have a notarized copy of your 4457).

The CBP4457 is good for life if nothing changes, and in my experience, the only practical use it serves for the international hunter is for foreign counties with more stringent firearm registration policies to claim that you, the foreign visitor, have complied with some form of "rigorous" registration.

I can not say who told me this, but at the time, just cut off the portion of the form that has the date on it. Mine are all at the bottom right hand corner. Snip. Easy peezee.

For those of us that have to travel a distance to a customs office, mine is (3 hrs. one way), I will find out tomorrow if we can mail our old form in with a new signed form with a stamped self addressed envelope to save the travel hassle. I have had other people get my 4457's as long as they have my old form with a SIGNED new form, with no problems. Our Customs agents are very helpful.

Remember in 2014 when we were to have a EIN number, use the AES system etc. etc.? That has not gone away either, it is still in the workings as of Tuesday.

One hurdle after another, we should be ready to join a track team. LOL!

You all have a good night.

Some how the expiration date fell off this form on my computer. Not sure how. :whistle:

You might be dealing with this guy. You never know.

When I saw what expiration date folks were talking about; like you and your solution I, thought why not just cut everything outside the box. Problem solved ;)

Honoring my previous post about contacting Customs Agent about mailing the 4457 in by mail for updating the date for the 6 month rule, will not fly. Another person can take forms in for you as long as you have the new 4457 signed.

The call was worth it for I now have an email from PHASA and Richard Holmes with importing rules for the US, UK and other countries.

I am not computer savvy so I sent the email to Jerome to post here for all to see. There is nothing about the expiration date just the 6 month rule. Hope this puts this issue to rest.

If you download the 4457 from the customs site, that form has the actual words " Expiration Date" 02/29/2016 on it, and that is why there has been issues at SAPS. The form Brickburn downloaded on this forum is the same one that I have with no such wording. At the bottom of this form is CBP Form 4457 (06/92). Just cut this off too so there is no confusion or questions at SAPS.

You can cut off the top of the site form and be golden.

All of this stuff makes me wonder if I will ever go again, its become such a stupid hassle which is the intention!:mad: In 2014 on my last trip all of the travel in the states was a huge PITA. Couple that with the issues we had with FWS to clear trophies and I wonder if its worth it. The only easy part was dealing with CPB to register two rifles and odds and ends. My local office is only 20 minutes away:D and while not over friendly, they don't act like turds either. Cant say the same for FWS afterwards though!:mad::mad: We were told its a good idea to register ANYTHING with a serial number if you want easy entry with your stuff. Lest we forget, last time out we got questioned upon return because I didn't mention our rifles on the declaration form entering JFK!!. When I told him they were already mine and I had the forms, he said it didn't matter,o_Oo_Oo_Oo_O you have to now declare your own firearms on the declaration form upon entering the states. How stupid is that?!?!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: Its becoming a matter of "let me count the ways that I can hassle the honest citizens"!

i hear you loud and clear.

I'm using the PH's rifles this year. I'm tired of dealing with gov't BS too. I predict it's only going to get worse, and that using/renting the outfitter's rifles is going to get more common.

So does "not older than 6 months" mean dated by an inspector or the so called expiration date of the form? Guess I will have to renew all my forms regardless!

And they are worth every dime we pay them.:cool:

sestoppelman,

Date that your customs agent signed to the form.

So has anyone else heard of this at all? @riflepermits.com ?

Or has it been seen through an official source?

I could of course be wrong, but it seems like this is just an email of suggestion and not anything official. Why would the U.S. be the only country requiring documentation signed within last six months? Why not require all foreign documentation to be within the last six months?

RogerH, thanks!! Royal, I think its the RSA end that states no older than 6 months. Or am I missing something?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
majisman

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross