416 WSM first range trip

Always good to know that they worked even if you weren't planning on using them on buff as a first choice. That 500 is a big hammer I remember backing a buddy up on his elephant. His 400gr 416 at 2300 and my 500 Jeff 570grt at 2295 on the video it was a marked difference in the impact and the reaction to the shot.

@TOBY458 It is solid performer. I have a 416 ruger and 500/416 so I have the bigger 416's covered.
This was just a neck up of a standard wsm case and fireform. I have included the case beside a 458 B&M for comparison. The B&M cases are bigger.

@Downandlow the neck is .323 long.

View attachment 591374View attachment 591375
I have a 416WSM in the works. How do you find the AA powder for case separation? B&M loads say spherical powders cause shorter case life compared to stick powder? The WSM case should allow longer bullets in a short action which is what I have. B&M cases are too long for short actions in my opinion.

I’m wondering on your 416 WSM what cartridge u used to size up. 325 is what I’m planning on using. There are subtle differences in case dimensions with 7mm the longest to shoulder followed by 325, and then 300 and 270. I’m leaning toward using the 325 but reaming the chamber to 7mm WSM shoulder length and hopefully gain a few fps.
Also do you have to anneal your brass? Thanx for the info. I’ll post some pics of my project as I go.

Silky

I have been using the 300 WSM as my base case and it seems to work well. Haven't tried the 325's.
Looking forward to seeing how your project turns out.

I have a 416WSM in the works. How do you find the AA powder for case separation? B&M loads say spherical powders cause shorter case life compared to stick powder? The WSM case should allow longer bullets in a short action which is what I have. B&M cases are too long for short actions in my opinion.
Yup, the skinny-long .416-caliber bullets might be better off in the shorter WSM case if you need to make it fit into a short action.
Where the B&M case really shines in a WSM-length action is with .458-caliber bullets.

I tried some 300WSM cases for dummy rounds and they stretched out ok so far. Guy at Pacific Tool and Gauge where I got the reamer said some guys were just shootin 300WSM rounds in the 416 to fire form cases, NOT recommending but just saying.
I use a 300 to 358 tapered button then 358 to 416.

The increase in bullet diameter from .308 to .416 = 35.06%
I have never had a problem necking up .338 Lapua Magnum to .458 Thumper.
That was with either RCBS neck expander in two steps (.30-375 then .375 -.45)
or with simply blowing it out in fire-forming.
That increase in bullet diameter from .338 to .458 = 35.50%, about same or little more than with .300 WSM to .416 WSM.

Using new brass or properly annealed once-fired brass should be no problem.

I used new Lapua brass that was beautifully annealed from factory.
Necking .338 up to .500-caliber caused about 3 split necks per 100.
I got basic cylindrical and necked it down for the .500 and .510 wildcats which had "improved"
shoulder anyway, really needed to be made from necked down basic cylindrical:

a5-1.jpg

I use basically the same taper expander that I use for the 400 whelen than the 416 wsm sizing die takes it up the last little bit. My rifle is built on a WSM win70 action.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LavadaMacG

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.