416 Taylor tomorrow!

400 Swift
​
Hodgdon Varget​
​
77.0C​
​
2,450​
​
5,334​
​
22.0​
​
​
​
​
​
​
​
​
​
400 Barnes
​
Hodgdon Varget​
​
77.0​
​
2,460​
​
5,377​
​
22.0​
​
​
​
​
​
​
​
​
​
400 Nosler
​
Ramshot TAC​
​
79.0CM​
​
2,550​
​
5,778​
​
22.0​
Though I knew it was poss w/ modern powders, the TAC load is just too much (in every way). All DG taken w/ the 416 was using 2,450 fps loads (same as all other 416s using much more powder.) With the Varget load, the Swift SPs and Barnes Solids print very similarly, and <1" groups. The M98 X shouldn't let you down ('had 3 prior and made 'em all shooters w/ proper bedding, trigger jobs and handloading.) Typical for IMR powders, they and the Nos PT were more accurate (1-hole groups,) but about 150 fps slower (I might consider using that combo for longer shots at bear/moose/PG. Also more pleasant to shoot.)

1647540103522.jpeg
_IGP7815.JPG
 
Last edited by a moderator:
My .416 Taylor is built on the Whitworth action. I love the .416 Taylor, and am positive you will too! Beautiful rifle!
 
Many 458 WMs easily converted to 416 C-T M w/ a bbl swap and headspacing, thus all the Interarms/Whitworths out there.
 
Many 458 WMs easily converted to 416 C-T M w/ a bbl swap and headspacing, thus all the Interarms/Whitworths out there.
Actually, any rifle chambered for the cartridges in the .458WM family (.264WM, 7mm RM, .300WM, .338WM) with the same case lengths, widths and bases, could be converted to a .416 Taylor fairly easily with a barrel swap and chambering for the Taylor. I've thought about that with building a .375-.338WM? All of the above cartridge brass could also be used to form the Taylor brass. Probably need an intermediate neck expander die(s) when using the .264, 7mm and .300, but it would work as the case dimensions are all the same.
 
Actually, any rifle chambered for the cartridges in the .458WM family (.264WM, 7mm RM, .300WM, .338WM) with the same case lengths, widths and bases, could be converted to a .416 Taylor fairly easily with a barrel swap and chambering for the Taylor. I've thought about that with building a .375-.338WM? All of the above cartridge brass could also be used to form the Taylor brass. Probably need an intermediate neck expander die(s) when using the .264, 7mm and .300, but it would work as the case dimensions are all the same.
Yes, although the 300 is longer, it's still the same action. But many realize the shortcomings of the 458 and convert to Taylor! There will be others that burn effigies and pulpit-pound over the latest, greatest 458 galvanized solid tin bullets etc. (w/ low SD), but Kevin Robertson and I (and all of his experienced followers know differently and understand and appreciate Statistics.) A higher SD bullet at higher V will pay dividends in the field...That said, of most of the calibers you mention, I'd only convert a 458 WM. Why ruin a 264 or 300 WM?????! LOL (.338 WM is a bit of a misnomer for Sales & Marketing. 2850 for factory ammo? Zzzzz. It is the very beginnings of the awesome .338 caliber-even the 338-06 with hot handloads can keep up with it!) I'll take the 100+ gr A-Sq case every time! 3250 fps. Accurate. Deadly. RUM? Inaccurate. Corporate comittee. If you need a gun of that stature, get a semi-custom or fully custom! (like an old A-Sq.-predecessor to the 338-378 Wby.)
 
Last edited:
Actually, any rifle chambered for the cartridges in the .458WM family (.264WM, 7mm RM, .300WM, .338WM) with the same case lengths, widths and bases, could be converted to a .416 Taylor fairly easily with a barrel swap and chambering for the Taylor. I've thought about that with building a .375-.338WM? All of the above cartridge brass could also be used to form the Taylor brass. Probably need an intermediate neck expander die(s) when using the .264, 7mm and .300, but it would work as the case dimensions are all the same.
I have used 338wm brass in my RCBS press with Redding dies to make 416 Taylor cases with one pass. 458wm is easy to use but much pricier than 338. Cutting the extra couple millimeters off of the 300wm cartridges is a pain in the a$$ but if that’s all you got. I finally got some Norma and Quality Cartridge brass with the correct head-stamp and it was really dear.
 
I have used 338wm brass in my RCBS press with Redding dies to make 416 Taylor cases with one pass. 458wm is easy to use but much pricier than 338. Cutting the extra couple millimeters off of the 300wm cartridges is a pain in the a$$ but if that’s all you got. I finally got some Norma and Quality Cartridge brass with the correct head-stamp and it was really dear.
I'll have to try it using my significant quantity of once fired .338WM brass. I wasn't sure if the neck was too "tight". So far, I've only used .458WM brass which IS one clean pass even with my old RCBS Jr. press. Thanks for the info!
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,364
Messages
1,574,299
Members
170,003
Latest member
EdgarLic1
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top