.416 Ruger

Viral_SIGness

AH fanatic
Joined
Apr 30, 2020
Messages
664
Reaction score
811
Location
Virginia USA
Media
28
Those of you that have them, what kind of performance are you getting with it? I've heard, unlike it's older brother, it has to be ran at crazy high pressure to match it's intended/inspiration cartridge.

I would love to hear from 20" and 23" users.

Thanks!
 
I have it in the Guide Gun. Here is one result.
 

Attachments

With 24“ barrel I achieved 705 m/s with 74grs CFE223 and 400grs bullet.
A 350grs bullet can be accelerated to 760 m/s with 79grs CFE223.

I do not believe in 2300fps (400grs) out of a 20“ barrel.
 
With 24“ barrel I achieved 705 m/s with 74grs CFE223 and 400grs bullet.
A 350grs bullet can be accelerated to 760 m/s with 79grs CFE223.

I do not believe in 2300fps (400grs) out of a 20“ barrel.
2000-MR will give you 2300fps with a 20in. barrel according to my Hornady manual. Nosler manual shows 2424fps with 24in. barrel.
 
This is what Hendershots lists for their custom ammo in 416 Ruger, however they don't list the barrel length.

1617846949595.png
 
The buff in my avatar was taken in Zim with a 20” barreled Ruger Hawkeye Alaskan. I used a 400gr Barnes TSX using 2000-MR powder @ 2364 fps. (Hornady DGX factory loads clock 2383. Measured with LabRadar)
 
I have not chronographed my 350 grain TSX loads. But, I do expect less velocity than a 416 Remington with equal barrel length. The Ruger case has a few less grain capacity and the SAAMI maximum pressure is less than for the Remington.
This is from the Swift reloading manual # 2, 400 grain Swift A-Frame, using a 24” test barrel, Hornady brass, and CCI-250 primers.
A4469911-0568-4E4C-960F-98C3D694B789.jpeg
 
The 416 Ruger with 350 grain A-Frame, Hornady brass, CCI-250 primer, 24” test barrel.
1BB28C63-01F6-4F19-97EB-214D86104606.jpeg
 
North America use, I personally prefer the 350 grain bullets in the 416 Ruger and Remington. Some use the 300 grain TSX with happiness. I wish Barnes would make a 325 grain again, in the TSX form.
I am a TSX fan, though would use the A-Frame without a second thought. I have had excellent accuracy out of factory loaded 350 grain A-Frames in the 416 Remington.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,383
Messages
1,574,667
Members
170,088
Latest member
BrianMcnea
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top