416 Rigby

vinnymbogo

AH veteran
Joined
Aug 11, 2009
Messages
215
Reaction score
218
Location
SE Alberta
Media
7
Hunting reports
Africa
1
Member of
SCI, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation,
Hunted
Canada, USA, Tanzania, South Africa, Zimbabwe, and Mozambique
Hey guys & gals,

After borrowing one of my PH's rifles, I was amazed at the knockdown power of the big guns (450 Watts) so I ended up getting myself a CZ 416 Rigby. The problem I'm having is that none of my reloading manuals (I have them all, almost) are older and have no data on the 416 Rigby. I've had excellent results with IMR 7828 in all my other magnums.

Does anyone have any suggestions on starting loads for the 416? I plan on shooting 400 to 410 grain bullets. I've got Hornady brass and Hornady and Woodleigh bullets. I can't find any info online that uses 7828 (preferred) but any other powders and recipes will help me out. Thanks in advance.

Vinny
 
Hi Vinny,
Here are some loads from the latest addition of the Hornady reloading book (8 th addition). They only list a 400 gn projectile.

1. H4350 - 74.6gn(2100fps): 79.9gn(2200fps): 85.2gn(2300fps): 90.5(2400fps)
2. IMR4350 - 81gn(2100): 84.7(2200): 88.5(2300)
3. RL19 - 84.2(2100): 87.5(2200): 90.8(2300): 94.1(2400)
4. IMR4831 - 83.3(2100): 87.3(2200): 91.2(2300)
5. H4831 - 84.8(2100): 89.4(2200): 94.0(2300): 98.6(2400)
6. WIN WMR - 83.2(2100): 88.7(2200): 94.3(2300)
7. A3100 - 86.8(2100): 90.7(2200): 94.5(2300): 98.4(2400)
8. VHT N-165 - 86.9(2100): 91.8(2200): 96.6(2300)
9. RL-25 - 91.0(2100): 95.1(2200): 99.2(2300): 103.4(2400)

The last load for each powder type is the maximum, so I would suggest starting at 5% less and working up.

Hope this helps.
 
Thanks richteb.

I appreciate the quick response. I'm sure I'll find a load that works from the info you've posted.

Have a good weekend.....

Vinny
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,287
Messages
1,571,743
Members
169,406
Latest member
TheresaR90
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top