Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
BASC
Hunted
UK, Norfolk, Cambridgeshire, Dumfries and Galloway, Isle of Arran (Scotland). RSA, North West, Kalahari, Limpopo
Hello Gents,
Just wondering if you chaps have a preference of powder for the 416 rigby? I have seen in the shooting the british double rifle that imr 4350 has less felt recoil when used in 416 rigby. Needless to say I'm leaning toward that so I could concentrate on placing the shot where it needs to go.
Any hints and tips would be very much appreciated as always.

H4831 was the trick in the CZ I had in this caliber.

I experienced way less recoil with this powder and 350 grain TTSX than the Hornady factory ammo.

Screen Shot 2017-12-06 at 8.09.15 PM.png

94.5 +/- RL22, 400gr Northfork, 2370fps +/- works well for me in a CZ.(y)

94.5 +/- RL22, 400gr Northfork, 2370fps +/- works well for me in a CZ.(y)

How about felt recoil with that? Just so you guys know I only come it at 65kg on a good day!!

How about felt recoil with that? Just so you guys know I only come it at 65kg on a good day!!
Offhand it's not bad at all. From the bench I'm good for about 12 rounds before I start noticing it. My youngest is your weight and has no problems with it offhand. I don't know that he has fired it from the bench though. I think you would be more than fine with it.

"The" load for the .416 Rigby has always been 104 grains of H4831 with a 400 grain bullet.

RL 22 gives the highest V and E but either of the aforementioned IMR powders provide the greatest accuracy and a bit gentler to shoot in this size cartridge. I believe IMR 7828 also works well in a 100 gr cartridge. So long as you're getting 2,350-2,450 fps with a 400 grainer, should be good for dangerous game. My way of reducing felt recoil with the .416 is to convert a .458 Win Mag to .416 Chatfield-Taylor. With the .416 and 400 grain bullets and modern powders, there is not much of a ballistic advantage at all in using larger cartridges such as the Rem, Rigby, or Wby. I can get >2,500 fps by using newer duplex powders such as those offered by Accurate and Ramshot, but am quite happy with Mickey Mouse groups at 2,460 fps using 77 gr of Varget (akin to 4350). Good Luck! A well placed shot will always conquer over a miss going several hundred fps faster, and even Kevin Robertson himself suggested that there's no advantage to a V over 2,450 fps in .416 (w/ 400 gr slugs) on dangerous game. Much higher and the bullet does not perform its intended terminal ballistic plan.

I’m having good results with reloader Swiss rs70

Does this mean you might actually use the double?

I never by a rifle without the intention of using it. It’s like being married to a super model and not making love with her. What are you doing saving her for the next man!!

I never by a rifle without the intention of using it. It’s like being married to a super model and not making love with her. What are you doing saving her for the next man!!
Well said.

Hello Gents,
Just wondering if you chaps have a preference of powder for the 416 rigby? I have seen in the shooting the british double rifle that imr 4350 has less felt recoil when used in 416 rigby. Needless to say I'm leaning toward that so I could concentrate on placing the shot where it needs to go.
Any hints and tips would be very much appreciated as always.

Just purchased the new slowest IMR 8133 powder. Anyone have a load with this?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VenusPined

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross