If you had to Pick One of These Calibers for Dangerous Game, Which would it be?

• Total voters

CBH Australia

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Sporting Shooters Association Australia, Africa Hunting website!!!
Hunted
Australia and now South Africa
So I’m just reading this old thread. Did you purchase something? What was it and did you get your Buff?
I have a .375 and awaiting the chance to travel North and hunt Buff.
Somehow I got sidetracked here and I am travelling to Africa in January, that’s OK that was on my wish list too.

J.Ogilvie

AH member
Reaction score
So I’m just reading this old thread. Did you purchase something? What was it and did you get your Buff?
I have a .375 and awaiting the chance to travel North and hunt Buff.
Somehow I got sidetracked here and I am travelling to Africa in January, that’s OK that was on my wish list too.
Thanks for the reply. I have decided to go with a Winchester Model 70 in .416 Rem Mag. I've just started saving money for it, as well as a future trip to Africa.

Dr Ray

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Recoil is a factor but you have to have the confidence in yourself to handle such. It’s “up there” but concentrate on shot placement.

bebo

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
I have owned a Winch 70 Safari .416 Rem .... fabulous ! Scoped with a Leupold low magnification : accurate to 150 yds and more.
if you pull up the recoil is not violent, dry as the .338wm, it is similar in nature to the 375hh, more flexible, slower.

BeeMaa

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Life Member, SCI
Hunted
Eastern US & RSA
I'm not sure of the availability of Blaser rifles in Oz, but it could be something to consider.

The 416RM barrel with the steel receiver and kickstop come in around 4 Kg (almost 9#).
Add a scope & mount with ammo and you are around 4.5-5 Kg total.
It would make shooting the big bore much easier although heavier to carry all day.

njc110381

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
I've got no experience of the .416 Rem but have a Rigby. Also had a .375H&H in the past. What I will say is that having shot both, I found the .375 a step up but nothing to worry about. I shot that rifle prone, over a ox of ammo at a time with no problems at all. When I got the Rigby I fired it for the first time and wondered what the hell I'd done. I honestly thought I'd ever shoot it accurately but it turns out I was wrong. I'm getting there now but I've put a lot of rounds down it. Cost is a factor between .416 and .375 here, not sure about where you are? You need to be able to take it to the range and get a few rounds down it regularly to get good with it.

The .375 will do all you need. The .416 will do it better as long as you can shoot the thing. Have you found one to have a few shots with yet?

fourfive8

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
USA, South Africa, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Botswana
Either caliber will work of course. While there is difference in recoil between the two, the 416 Rem is some heavier but not by a huge amount. You won't notice a large increment in recoil going from 375 to 416, but you will when getting into the 458 Lott category. Use a sissy pad when shooting off the bench, don't tighten up too much- that IS the secret to shooting the big recoilers- knowing how much to flex with the shot. Use a low power scope with liberal eye relief- the closer to 5" the better and don't crawl the stock. Practice on the sticks or sitting or some kind of field rest along with regular target time off the bench.

I have shot all manner of rifles from small to large and both the 375 and the 416 are in a league that really can't be compared to a 308. All I can say is it's a lot more. Sit more upright at the bench, use good hearing protection, use a sissy pad and don't overdo the number of shots at any one range session until you get used to the thump. Once you get used to what to expect, not so much an issue. A really thick, soft sissy pad will only make felt recoil worse. Use a fairly thin stiff and large pad that covers more area. It you need more, the ultimate is a thin sandbag.

Once you get used to it, you will like the 416 if you end up with one. A good tough 370 or 400 grain bullet is plenty horsepower and provides measurably more poop than the 300 grain standard in a 375. And when you're squeezing the trigger on big buff, no matter the variety, adrenaline and absolute focus should take over and you won't feel the recoil. Practice rapid, cycling the bolt with ammo in the magazine while at the range to get used that. Most big animals like buffalo most times require more than one shot for insurance.

njc110381

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
you are an honest man.
most importantly honest with yourself.
that is the road to success.
bruce.

I think when striving to achieve anything in life, that's the best way to be. Take it on the chin when you fail but realise it doesn't have to be that way. If you're honest with yourself and your peers you can make a team effort to make changes and improve. Your posts have helped me a great deal in the past and there are a few other names on here who really stand out as putting the effort in when a question is asked too. Now I'm reaching a point where I can offer a little advice on the basics.

We never stop learning from the day we're born to the day we die. Learning on your own is much harder than swallowing one's pride and opening up to those who can help you!

bruce moulds

AH legend
Reaction score
follow through, the secret of any sport.
tennis, football, golf and so on.
long range target, shotgun, pistol, dangerous game the same.
good follow through must be a habit, and there is only one way to develop a habit to the level of blinking when eye is threatened.
including follow through deliberately in regular dry firing is cheap, practical, and effective, and can be combined with working the action.
only good practice will develop good habits.
strong good habits will overcome such things as recoil violence in the subconscious.
bruce.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadelaineR

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Tally-Ho Hunting Safaris wrote on jfowler812's profile.
hi Mr fowler

im happy to do these deals for 2021

i will knock off 10% off each deal if you take 2 so $18000 per package

look forward to your response

regards
Mule deer and Colorado elk seasons almost done! Hunters driving farm roads, looking for racks, their PH driving them along, I ask that you not pull into my drive. The buck behind me, on the boundary line of the GMU somehow knows. The hunter laughs, I would invite you in to see my Searcy rifles but social distancing prevails, darkness arrives and the buck slides away into secret tree grove...
Boyd Brooks wrote on Skinnersblade's profile.
Ellwood Epps has 1 box of 25-20 in stock. Look them up on the web. They are located in Orilla Ontario.
Lkhntr wrote on Warpig602's profile.
On the vx6 2-12 what does the zl2 stand for?

Thanks, Oliver
bowjijohn wrote on AfricaHunting.com's profile.
Many thanks for re formatting my article for the forum

I served my time in both the bush and during the bush war

I hope it did it justice

Education is where it is at - without it the wild places are history

You - sir - are well placed to make a difference

J