.416 or larger in left hand - recommendations??

philheise

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, Dallas Safari Club
Hunted
Namibia (Omaruru, Mariental), South Africa (Limpopo, Eastern Cape, Northern Cape)
Does anybody have any recommendations for finding a left-handed rifle in .416 or larger caliber?

Does anybody have any recommendations for finding a left-handed rifle in .416 or larger caliber?
I'm in the same boat as you. Ruger makes their 375 Ruger in LH, and then you could rebarrel it to the 416 Ruger, which gives up little or no ground to the other 416s. Only issue with that one is availability of ammo in Africa if you need some in a pinch.

Seems like I remember reading that all the RUM cartridges were based on the 404J cartridge. That being the case, shouldn't be a huge deal to convert back to 404J, assuming you can find one chambered in LH

Montana Rifles would have been a good choice until a couple years ago.

If you go to gunsinternational.com and search "416 Rigby" there is a left handed CZ from the CZ Custom Shop.. Listed price is $3K

Reactions: BCD
Go to GB and search on Left handed in Bolt Action.

Then click on calibers. Not a lot to choose from.

1627258922964.png

Good suggestions on where to look. I'd also suggest you not overpay. You'll be told they are rare, and they are, but so are left handed big bore shooters. The rifles sit quite often.

Good suggestions on where to look. I'd also suggest you not overpay. You'll be told they are rare, and they are, but so are left handed big bore shooters. The rifles sit quite often.
I agree! They should be willing to negotiate otherwise it'll always sit there and be old inventory.

As a lefty myself I've learned Gun Broker and patience. Checking out pawn shops doesn't hurt either since left handed big bores don't move fast. I actually saw a Left handed 416 Remington in a pawn shop in Alaska probably 10 years back now. So I know they exist.

Also, if single shots work for you, keep your eye open for Ruger #1 in big bores.

I have a Weatherby MKV Left Hand in .458 win mag for sale if you're interested, with several boxes of ammo. Otherwise, like previous replies alluded to, gunbroker.com and gunsinternational.com are your best bets.

I found two left handed CZ550’s in 375 after a few years of looking with the goal of rebarreling one to 458 Lott in order to have a pair.

Phil
LH 416 Rigby posted on this site Thursday ... don't know how to forward to you...take a look

I’m left handed myself , but I learnt how to cycle a right handed bolt action rifle with my left hand during my military service in 1971 . If you practice enough , it almost becomes like second nature and completely instinctive .

But with the abundance of left handed bolt action rifles on the market now , going through all this trouble is completely unnecessary . During my 1978 African mixed bag Safari , I came across my first left handed big bore bolt action rifle in my white hunter’s camp - A left handed Remington M700 in .458 Winchester Magnum . Today , lots of other options can be found on Guns International . The left handed Sako M85 is a good choice for a fellow southpaw . Not too expensive .

If you don’t mind shelling out some extra funds for a quality left handed big bore rifle which you plan on using for the long run , then I’d strongly suggest going the custom route . Granite Mountain Arms sells left handed Mauser actions in all sizes , up to their African Magnum Mauser action . Source such an action , get a custom barrel from either Pac Nor or Douglas , have a classic stock made to your measurements and then get a competent gunsmith to put your rifle together . Or you can contact either Reto Buehller or John Bolliger , both of whom offer custom rifles in left handed GMA Mauser actions . African white hunter , Jeff Rann is a left hander and he had John Bolliger build him a custom .505 Gibbs on a left handed GMA African Magnum Mauser action .

I have slogged down this road for years - decades, in fact. Nearly all my left handed rifles are custom-built guns. If you want a real CRF large bore rifle that you can depend on, I suggest spending the money to have a rifle built by a capable maker. I chose Reto Buehler to build a LH .404 Jeffery on a Granite Mountain small ring Mauser 98.

I have slogged down this road for years - decades, in fact. Nearly all my left handed rifles are custom-built guns. If you want a real CRF large bore rifle that you can depend on, I suggest spending the money to have a rifle built by a capable maker...

I agree. I have gone the custom gun route for decades..

I believe I know where a No 1 is. If you PM me I'll give you the number to call. He's got several big bore options.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AishaYpd4

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross