.404 Jeffrey and .416 Rigby: which is bigger?

MM was a NICELY proportioned woman. I wouldn't recognize TS if she introduced herself to me. However the gold standard of larger among women is absolutely Dolly Parton.

I have both a .404 Jeffery and a .416 Rigby. Using only factory ammo, the .416 has noticeably greater recoil, and the recoil charts (see Chuck Hawks for example) bear this out. Having said that, a lot obviously depends on the weight of each rifle and how well each fits you. I had a CZ .416 that pounded me to the point I developed a flinch. I got rid of it and stayed away from the .416s for some years. Then I tried one which clearly fit me better because, while I wouldn't say it was a joy to shot, it was very manageable (it also cost me a lot more!).

I would love to be in Africa today carrying one of these looking for something suitable . . .

You’re spot on.
I’ve fired my 416rigby and a 404 one after the other with almost no discernible difference in recoil.

Yup I fired my 404 and a 416 Rigby one after the other with almost no discernible difference in recoil.....
:A Banana: :E Rofl:

I have both a .404 Jeffery and a .416 Rigby. Using only factory ammo, the .416 has noticeably greater recoil, and the recoil charts (see Chuck Hawks for example) bear this out. Having said that, a lot obviously depends on the weight of each rifle and how well each fits you. I had a CZ .416 that pounded me to the point I developed a flinch. I got rid of it and stayed away from the .416s for some years. Then I tried one which clearly fit me better because, while I wouldn't say it was a joy to shot, it was very manageable (it also cost me a lot more!).

I would love to be in Africa today carrying one of these looking for something suitable . . .

Thanks. How would you best describe "fit"?

Length of Pull relative to your arm's length?

I'm sorry but don't have a definition, other than I shoot better with some firearms than with others.

Having said that, I'd say it would be a combination of stock design, weight, length of pull and the usual adjustments, as well as balance. My second .416 is made by Rigby, and time was spent making sure it would work for me, but most importantly, I think the English gun makers make a very balanced weapon.

To me fit includes, length of pull, position and design of the comb, drop of heel, thickness of stock, design of pistol grip, weight and balance, amount of cast on/off and dimension of the stock in relation to your dimensions. Probably some other things come into it as well.

Fit means you shoulder the firearm with closed eyes aiming, when you open your eye or eyes depending on sight fitted the sights are perfectly lined up. Of course the balance of the firearm is just as important.

Rifle fit is a dark art- known only by a few gun manufacturers. Fashion seems to dictate stock shape far more than recoil. CZ is a Company that managed to manufacture the same rifle with a bad recoiling stock (monte carlo) and easier recoil stock (standard) on the 550 action.
It is also more than lining up the sights with your natural aim point. It is the physics of recoil acting on your shoulder,hands and face. The rifle will recoil- does it do so in a way that doesnt smack you in the face ? That is good fitting.

if you look at the bullet weights and muzzle velocities that will tell you the story

I reload both calibers with the same 400 Gr. bullet and powder. The 404 gets 84 Gr. of H4350 for 2300 FPS, while the Rigby gets 92 Gr. of H4350 for 2400 FPS. The rifles I have in those calibers all shoot under an inch with the loads mentioned. Although I have to admit that that I prefer the 404 over the Rigby.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Donnie58Q

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!