Badboymelvin

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hi guys,

Just have a quick question about the 404 Jeffery...

For the people that own one - or want to own one, would you still be perfectly satisfied with the 400gn projectile at 2150fps?
Or is that old hat these days and would you step it up to 2350fps?

I think that there is something nice about the original load, but can't comment as I've never used one...

Cheers,

Russ

With beter projectiles and reloading options I would opt for around 2300fps.

As a Professional hunter. I find nothing to complain about with factory ammunition in .404j, nothing. Just bought 4 boxes today.
Possibly another .404j Mauser next week.

Hi Lon
In our part of the world, it is currently very difficult to get any 404 ammo. Rarer than hens teeth and rocking horse poo. We scrounge around for shells and projectiles at silly prices. We beg for primers for whom ever has a stash hidden away. 404 Jeffery dies, when rarely seen, cost more AUD$400 a set and a first born! But I have a left handed weatherby mk v custom, shells, projectiles, dies and starting the reloading journey. I am also fortunate in having Mr Nelson of 35 whelen fame living an hour or so up the road.

So Russ, I intend to start out pretty conservatively, and stay with convention. Might amp it up in a year or 3 and chasing buffalo.

regards

peter

Last edited:
Hi Peter,
Try buying components or loaded ammo in Zim. Especially . 404j. Darn near impossible if you can expect to pay $400.00 a box or more.

I am understand your desire to improve on a excellent cartridge. I am vert satisfied on Hornady solids on elephant and stopping shots on buff. Bonded softs on all else and will use the old non bonded on cats.

As to bullet selection Trophy bonded sledgehammers and bear claws have always been satisfactory. Swift A frames are also great if used for what they are meant for.

Hi guys,

For the people that own one - or want to own one, would you still be perfectly satisfied with the 400gn projectile at 2150fps?

I think that there is something nice about the original load, but can't comment as I've never used one...

Cheers,

Russ
I couldn't get to a safe node around 2300fps with A-Frames and VV N560, I ended on the 2180fps node. The case is nice and full and there is no excessive pressure on components or rifle.

I used the load that I got from @Shootist43, who got it from @Von Gruff .

84.0 g of H4350 and a 400 gr Swift A Frame. This load generates a little over 2300 fps in my 23 inch barrel with really low SD and ES.

Use the original load with 400 gr TSX. So yes 2150 fps.

Kevin as usual I agree with you. The one exception is your choice in 4X4.

Hi Peter,
Try buying components or loaded ammo in Zim. Especially . 404j. Darn near impossible if you can expect to pay $400.00 a box or more.

I think excessive pricing goes for all big bore ammo in Zim. My PH was telling me that .500 NE factory ammo was going for $30 a round or more if one could find it last year.

Been shooting work-up loads with 400gr A-Frames at 2200fps. Very comfortable even with longer range sessions. I'm working it up to 2300-2350fps with a 400gr, the ultimate intent being 2150fps with a 450gr. No doubt the 400gr A-Frame will get home at 2200fps. Expansion and penetration tests are going really well. (Penetration was a hair under 40").
0419221706b.jpg
0419221706.jpg

Captain Oscar

What was the penetration test media?

I load my 416 Rem Mag to 2300 fps with 400gr Swifts. I'm having it re-barreled to a lighter contour 21 1/4", and will probably step down to around 2200 fps. The buffalo I shot with my 2300 fps load seemed to be pretty impressed. I doubt 100 fps lower will make much difference.

I just finished developing a load for my .404 J, using Hornady brass, Federal 215 Magnum Primers and 400 gr. Woodleigh bullets, using Hornady dies. 74.0 grains of Hodgdon Varget (ADI 2208 ?) produced a 3-shot group measuring exactly 1 inch at 100 meters. I did not use a chronograph and visual inspection revealed no extractor marks on the case heads or cratering of primers. This worked in my rifle and I do not advocate anyone replicate this load. What turned out to be safe pressure levels in my rifle may not be the case in yours.

I started by shooting a 3-shot group with 73.0, then, 73.3, 73.5, 73.8 grains. No load produced a group grater than 1.5 inches at 100 meters. I suspect muzzle velocity is approximately 2,200 fps.

The rifle is a Remington P-1917 with a 24" PacNor barrel having a 1 in 14" rate of twist and a Timney trigger. Stock is a Richards Microfit made from Bastogne walnut. Randy Selby, of Wapiti, Wyoming, built the rifle and installed Talley bases for quick release rings. Scope is a Leupold 1.5X -5X.

The Pachmayr Decelerator recoil pad worked well, since my shoulder did not start complaining until I had fired about 16 rounds.

Last edited:
Hi guys,

Cheers,

Russ
Original first loads were 2150 later loads were 2300 to 2350....ideal killing speed for heavy dg is as close to 2300.....SD is the one factor that is present in all classic dg calibers and the only thing that gives a 458 wm a whim of hope...
2250 to 2300 would be ideal.

I am converting a 375 ZKK 602 375 to 404 Jeff for my daughter and am having 430gr bullets made for her target speed will be 2200 fps....sd above .30 is good for dg especially elephant .33 and above is just fenominal....

Shooting 400g TSX and CEB solids at 2250.

A very misunderstood caliber and most coming from some who may have never used it..First of all there were many complaints in the early years of the 2100 fps, so the arms companys pumpet it up to 2300fps and all the negativity went south...The modern day handloading folks headed for Africa pumped it up to 2650 FPS in a 26 inch barrel and it gave no problems in the African heat..I used it for over 45 years and shot many buffalo with it with all these loads early on and settled on a 400 gr. bullet, mostly Woodleighs at 2400 fps give or take 50 fps, as to barrel length without a problem of any kind, and it was a killer plus...Some still go by if it worked 100 years ago it works today as well, well maybe thats not right is my take on the subject, its damn sure a better killer at 2400 fps the 2650 killed as well but it turn my trigger pull into a controlled flinch!! The great 9.3x62 and 7x57 , both great caliber have had to share poor judgment much the same, s much the shame..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TrimKetoBoostsupplement

Latest profile posts

Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg
Unforgettable memories of my first hunting safari with Arub Safaris in Namibia (Khomas Hochland) !!!

Namibia.jpg
Oryx.jpg
Kudu.jpg
ghay wrote on Joel Rouvaldt's profile.
Love your rifle! I'm needing a heavier rifle for Africa. Sold my .375 Dakota Safari several trips ago. Would you have any interest in a trade of some sort involving the custom 338/06 I have listed here on the site ( I have some room on my asking price. I also have a large quantity of the reloading components and new Redding dies as well as a box of A-Square Dead Tough ammo.