404 Jeffery Model 70 kickoff

RStien321

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hey folks,

I found a great deal on a .300 RUM in Model 70. It is a stainless rifle with a synthetic stock. My plan is to use this as the foundation for a 404 Jeffery conversion.

Working with my gun smith, I know I am going to use NECG sties, barrel band swivel, and have a Leupold VX-5HD 1-5 firedot4 scope that will sit in QD rings. I will have the barreled action finished in a matte or blued coated finish. The variable I don't have locked in yet is the stock. I do not have budget to do a $$$ custom walnut stock, but there are a few options that are still possible:

1. Standard Winchester Safari Stock
-Probably my classic dimension stock, but would prefer to have a slightly higher grade of wood, ebony forend, ect.​
2. Winchester Super Grade Safari Stock
-Has a bit more comb height. Probably would be great for scope work (which should be 90+% of the work.​
3. McMillan Express Stock
-McMillan's McWalnut finish is pretty awesome, and the stock + stainless action would be an incredibly durable rifle. But there just seems to be something wrong with putting a classic caliber in a fiberglass stock.​
Curious others thoughts who have some experience hunting with larger calibers?

Wincheseter Safari Supergrade.jpg
Winchester Safari Express.jpg
McMillan Win Express.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

ChrisG

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Member of
NAHC, NRA, Rocky Mtn. Elk Foundation.
Hunted
USA, Canada
If its a .404 why don't you go with more English lines on the stock! I have always been partial to Westley-Richards and Rigby stock lines. they just have a very classy look and they feel wonderful in the hand

C.W. Richter

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
PA SCI, Various Endless Mtns., PA Region Clubs
Hunted
Zimbabwe 2x, Namibia 2x, RSA 2x, USA, Canada
Hey folks,

I found a great deal on a .300 RUM in Model 70. It is a stainless rifle with a synthetic stock. My plan is to use this as the foundation for a 404 Jeffery conversion.

Working with my gun smith, I know I am going to use NECG sties, barrel band swivel, and have a Leupold VX-5HD 1-5 firedot4 scope that will sit in QD rings. I will have the barreled action finished in a matte or blued coated finish. The variable I don't have locked in yet is the stock. I do not have budget to do a $$$ custom walnut stock, but there are a few options that are still possible:

1. Standard Winchester Safari Stock
-Probably my classic dimension stock, but would prefer to have a slightly higher grade of wood, ebony forend, ect.​
2. Winchester Super Grade Safari Stock
-Has a bit more comb height. Probably would be great for scope work (which should be 90+% of the work.​
3. McMillan Express Stock
-McMillan's McWalnut finish is pretty awesome, and the stock + stainless action would be an incredibly durable rifle. But there just seems to be something wrong with putting a classic caliber in a fiberglass stock.​
Curious others thoughts who have some experience hunting with larger calibers?
View attachment 367214
View attachment 367215
View attachment 367216
Those are pretty. Boyd makes heavier laminate stocks of varying colors that would tend to help reduce recoil as well. 'Had a nice green-gray-black one on a gun I built out of spare parts, dubbed "Frankenstein." Old F could shoot very accurately to 700 yds with the help of that stock (.22-250 using heavy bullets.) I recommend having it bedded for your action. HS Precision makes some fantastic models w/ the aluminum bedding blocks and pedestals. 'Have one on a custom 70 .416 that shoots one-hole groups! Good luck. Come to think of it, there are now CNC companies that can trace the stock of your chosing (typ synthetic), rough cut to size (for $100s) and then have a competent gunsmith finish/checker, etc. for much less than the old $4K-$7.5K jobs done purely by hand. The CNC takes a Lot of the work out of it. There was a firm in PA a few years back...perhaps more today?

Last edited:

375 Ruger Fan

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
NRA, DSC
Hunted
Namibia, Zimbabwe, South Africa (Eastern Cape & NW), Canada, New Zealand, Alaska, TX, LA, MO, OH, MT, ID, WA, WY
The 300 RUM Win Mod 70 that I converted to a 404 Jeff was a Super Grade and has a very nice stock.

404 Jeffery 3.jpg
404 Jeffery 6.jpg

WAB

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
DSC, NRA, SCI
Hunted
Zambia, Botswana, Mozambique, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Scotland, England, Canada, Alaska, Ireland
Would the stock from a M70 in .458 fit your rifle? I’ve got one that I had oil finished with an ebony forend tip and pachmayr decelerator pad added. I subsequently had a custom stock built so that stock is just stuffed in a corner of the safe room.

RStien321

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Would the stock from a M70 in .458 fit your rifle? I’ve got one that I had oil finished with an ebony forend tip and pachmayr decelerator pad added. I subsequently had a custom stock built so that stock is just stuffed in a corner of the safe room.

It sure should! Just sent you a PM.

Reactions: WAB

Forrest Halley

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
I like the Safari stock and some sunny hill bottom metal...but that adds a bit to the cost.

BeeMaa

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Life Member, SCI
Hunted
Eastern US & RSA

ve7poi

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
Life member SCI
Hunted
British Columbia, Alberta, South Africa
On Winchester mag insert there are protrusion on each side eighth of inch grind off then you get 3. Rounds down plus one in chamber with standard bottom metal

Kevin Peacocke

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Cleveland Gun Club
Hunted
Zimbabwe, SouthAfrica
Definitely go for a classy walnut stock, and definitely the classic Westley Richards pancake cheek piece. Put a shadow line around it too. After all this rubbish this year it is time for some spoiling, go all out and make something to be proud of.

RStien321

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
On the question of custom stocks - where do folks usually go? I seem to be able to find Winchester “factory” stocks in the $200-$300 range. McMillan in the $600 range. And then custom wood seems to start at $2k and go to infinity. What have people found in the $600-$2k.

WAB

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
DSC, NRA, SCI
Hunted
Zambia, Botswana, Mozambique, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Scotland, England, Canada, Alaska, Ireland
On the question of custom stocks - where do folks usually go? I seem to be able to find Winchester “factory” stocks in the $200-$300 range. McMillan in the $600 range. And then custom wood seems to start at $2k and go to infinity. What have people found in the $600-$2k.

I use LeRoy Barry at Canyon Creek Custom Gunstocks. I believe he is still doing Wayne’s stock work at AHR so you have a good idea of the quality. His work is first class and he’s as reasonably priced as anyone out there. I’m typically into a stock for 3+, but there are a number of extras on those stocks. I think he could get you into something for close to 2.

RStien321

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
On Winchester mag insert there are protrusion on each side eighth of inch grind off then you get 3. Rounds down plus one in chamber with standard bottom metal

Right - that’s what I was expecting with the standard. I believe the sunny hill bottom metal can extend the capacity to 4+1?

Professor Mawla

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
My proposition is to always go for the Super Grade stock . Glass bed the stock with fiber glass and reinforce it with cross bolts .

Will you be getting the barrel from Douglas or Pac Nor ?

Lhleggtowner

AH member
Reaction score
The one I’m doing now ...... a 404 based off of a Winchester , I’m just inletting the stock for the barrel, bedding it with a new lug. I am adding cross bolts for support. I didn’t want to blow the budget on a stock yet.

arizonajake

AH senior member
Reaction score
I saw somewhere the bolt face diameter on the .404 cartridge is actually larger than on the ultra-mag series, but the rim diameter is smaller.

Does it make a big difference?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DWill

Latest profile posts

Cervus elaphus wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Hi Bob, how's things going in Wyong?. Down your way a couple of years back but haven't been in NSW since Ebor for the fishing. just getting over some nasty storms up here in Qld, seeing the sun for the first time in a few days. I'm going to NZ in the spring and hope to clean up a few buns while there and perhaps shake the spiders out of my old .303LE (currently owned by my BIL). Cheers Brian
A couple pictures of the sable i chased for miles in Mozambique, Coutada 9!! We finally caught up to him and I had the trophy of a lifetime. Mokore Safaris, Doug Duckworth PH
sable Coutada 9.JPG
sable 2 - Coutada 9.JPG
Safari Dave wrote on egrmpty507's profile.
Did you purchase your hunt at a US SCI fundraiser?
uplander01 wrote on colorado's profile.
Heard you may have load data for the 500 Jeffery,.....any info would be appreciated. Was thinking 535gr, but already had a response that the 570gr would be a better way to go, not sure why.
Rickmt wrote on Leica Sport Optics's profile.
will Leica Amplus 6-2.5x15x50 fit on a pro success Blaser with low mount?