404 Jeffery Model 70 kickoff

RStien321

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hey folks,

I found a great deal on a .300 RUM in Model 70. It is a stainless rifle with a synthetic stock. My plan is to use this as the foundation for a 404 Jeffery conversion.

Working with my gun smith, I know I am going to use NECG sties, barrel band swivel, and have a Leupold VX-5HD 1-5 firedot4 scope that will sit in QD rings. I will have the barreled action finished in a matte or blued coated finish. The variable I don't have locked in yet is the stock. I do not have budget to do a $$$ custom walnut stock, but there are a few options that are still possible:

1. Standard Winchester Safari Stock
-Probably my classic dimension stock, but would prefer to have a slightly higher grade of wood, ebony forend, ect.​
2. Winchester Super Grade Safari Stock
-Has a bit more comb height. Probably would be great for scope work (which should be 90+% of the work.​
3. McMillan Express Stock
-McMillan's McWalnut finish is pretty awesome, and the stock + stainless action would be an incredibly durable rifle. But there just seems to be something wrong with putting a classic caliber in a fiberglass stock.​
Curious others thoughts who have some experience hunting with larger calibers?

Wincheseter Safari Supergrade.jpg
Winchester Safari Express.jpg
McMillan Win Express.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
If its a .404 why don't you go with more English lines on the stock! I have always been partial to Westley-Richards and Rigby stock lines. they just have a very classy look and they feel wonderful in the hand

Hey folks,

I found a great deal on a .300 RUM in Model 70. It is a stainless rifle with a synthetic stock. My plan is to use this as the foundation for a 404 Jeffery conversion.

Working with my gun smith, I know I am going to use NECG sties, barrel band swivel, and have a Leupold VX-5HD 1-5 firedot4 scope that will sit in QD rings. I will have the barreled action finished in a matte or blued coated finish. The variable I don't have locked in yet is the stock. I do not have budget to do a $$$ custom walnut stock, but there are a few options that are still possible:

1. Standard Winchester Safari Stock
-Probably my classic dimension stock, but would prefer to have a slightly higher grade of wood, ebony forend, ect.​
2. Winchester Super Grade Safari Stock
-Has a bit more comb height. Probably would be great for scope work (which should be 90+% of the work.​
3. McMillan Express Stock
-McMillan's McWalnut finish is pretty awesome, and the stock + stainless action would be an incredibly durable rifle. But there just seems to be something wrong with putting a classic caliber in a fiberglass stock.​
Curious others thoughts who have some experience hunting with larger calibers?
View attachment 367214
View attachment 367215
View attachment 367216
Those are pretty. Boyd makes heavier laminate stocks of varying colors that would tend to help reduce recoil as well. 'Had a nice green-gray-black one on a gun I built out of spare parts, dubbed "Frankenstein." Old F could shoot very accurately to 700 yds with the help of that stock (.22-250 using heavy bullets.) I recommend having it bedded for your action. HS Precision makes some fantastic models w/ the aluminum bedding blocks and pedestals. 'Have one on a custom 70 .416 that shoots one-hole groups! Good luck. Come to think of it, there are now CNC companies that can trace the stock of your chosing (typ synthetic), rough cut to size (for $100s) and then have a competent gunsmith finish/checker, etc. for much less than the old $4K-$7.5K jobs done purely by hand. The CNC takes a Lot of the work out of it. There was a firm in PA a few years back...perhaps more today?

Last edited:
Would the stock from a M70 in .458 fit your rifle? I’ve got one that I had oil finished with an ebony forend tip and pachmayr decelerator pad added. I subsequently had a custom stock built so that stock is just stuffed in a corner of the safe room.

Would the stock from a M70 in .458 fit your rifle? I’ve got one that I had oil finished with an ebony forend tip and pachmayr decelerator pad added. I subsequently had a custom stock built so that stock is just stuffed in a corner of the safe room.

It sure should! Just sent you a PM.

Reactions: WAB
Used safari stock when I did my conversion from 416 Rem mag to Jeffery

On Winchester mag insert there are protrusion on each side eighth of inch grind off then you get 3. Rounds down plus one in chamber with standard bottom metal

Definitely go for a classy walnut stock, and definitely the classic Westley Richards pancake cheek piece. Put a shadow line around it too. After all this rubbish this year it is time for some spoiling, go all out and make something to be proud of.

On the question of custom stocks - where do folks usually go? I seem to be able to find Winchester “factory” stocks in the $200-$300 range. McMillan in the $600 range. And then custom wood seems to start at $2k and go to infinity. What have people found in the $600-$2k.

On the question of custom stocks - where do folks usually go? I seem to be able to find Winchester “factory” stocks in the $200-$300 range. McMillan in the $600 range. And then custom wood seems to start at $2k and go to infinity. What have people found in the $600-$2k.

I use LeRoy Barry at Canyon Creek Custom Gunstocks. I believe he is still doing Wayne’s stock work at AHR so you have a good idea of the quality. His work is first class and he’s as reasonably priced as anyone out there. I’m typically into a stock for 3+, but there are a number of extras on those stocks. I think he could get you into something for close to 2.

On Winchester mag insert there are protrusion on each side eighth of inch grind off then you get 3. Rounds down plus one in chamber with standard bottom metal

Right - that’s what I was expecting with the standard. I believe the sunny hill bottom metal can extend the capacity to 4+1?

My proposition is to always go for the Super Grade stock . Glass bed the stock with fiber glass and reinforce it with cross bolts .

Will you be getting the barrel from Douglas or Pac Nor ?

The one I’m doing now ...... a 404 based off of a Winchester , I’m just inletting the stock for the barrel, bedding it with a new lug. I am adding cross bolts for support. I didn’t want to blow the budget on a stock yet.

I saw somewhere the bolt face diameter on the .404 cartridge is actually larger than on the ultra-mag series, but the rim diameter is smaller.

Does it make a big difference?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andresonjames29

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.