.404 Jeffery Built On FN ‘98

Larry had the peep squirreled away somewhere in his shop. The peep has what they used to call a target aperture which is removed by unscrewing it before going out in the field, which leaves a ring that you’re not aware of when sighting. AKA ghost ring. My intent was to hunt it with a Leupold 1.5-5 straight tube with heavy duplex cross hairs with the peep sight in my day pack. Barrel mounted express sights look so damn salty, but I found I couldn’t shoot as well with them as I had in my 30s, so peep sight it was.
I agree most of the "express" rear sights are more cosmetic than functional. However, for a while in the nineties Winchester had a rear sight for their Safari Express Model 70 that was highly functional. It is adjustable both windage and elevation AND the leaf folds down. Remington at the same time made very similar multi adjustable ramped rear sight for some Model 700s but leaf does not fold down. The Winchester rear sight is screw attached so easily removed if desired. The hooded front sight that came with it was also screw mounted rather than silver soldered.

For some reason vision in my shooting eye continues to improve as I age. Very odd. I can make leaf iron sights work if I look over my glasses. Need to get the prescription updated ... again! It is handy having the option to quick detach the scope for iron sights in crappy weather, something that would be very handy hunting the USA's soggy Pacific Northwest.

This .404 was built by Larry Brace and Dennis Olson. Larry opened up the post war FN action to the rear, no metal was removed near the lower locking lug recess. 3+1 capacity. 23” cut rifled Krieger barrel. Stock was turned from a quarter sawn blank of exhibition grade Bastogne walnut pattern by Shane Thompson. Dennis put it all together, adding two recoil cross bolts. NECG ramped barrel band front sight base with Sourdough style front sight. NECG scope bases and one of their removable back up peep sights. Weight empty is 8lb 4oz; this is a walking around gun made to be carried by its owner in brown bear and Cape buffalo country. 200 new Norma cases, new RCBS dies & shell holder. It’s basically new, fired only 4 rounds. Price $6750, plus the cost of shipping & insurance.

View attachment 584587View attachment 584588View attachment 584589View attachment 584590View attachment 584591View attachment 584592View attachment 584593View attachment 584594View attachment 584595View attachment 584596View attachment 584597View attachment 584598View attachment 584599View attachment 584600View attachment 584601View attachment 584602View attachment 584603
beautiful rifle!!!!

Beautiful rifle!

Excuse my ignorance, but I'm new to dangerous game rifles. How would anyone ever know what scope mounts are on this rifle. I see that it has a peep.

Does the peep come off and is there a scope mount under it?

Do the rings come with the rifle? Or just the bases?

Is there anyone on this planet, or any planet, that knows who made these scope bases and if there are any corresponding rings that will mate with them?

Thank you!

crossone

Beautiful rifle!

Excuse my ignorance, but I'm new to dangerous game rifles. How would anyone ever know what scope mounts are on this rifle. I see that it has a peep.

Is there anyone on this planet, or any planet, that knows who made these scope bases and if there are any corresponding rings that will mate with them?

Thank you!

crosson

This .404 was built by Larry Brace and Dennis Olson. Larry opened up the post war FN action to the rear, no metal was removed near the lower locking lug recess. 3+1 capacity. 23” cut rifled Krieger barrel. Stock was turned from a quarter sawn blank of exhibition grade Bastogne walnut pattern by Shane Thompson. Dennis put it all together, adding two recoil cross bolts. NECG ramped barrel band front sight base with Sourdough style front sight. NECG scope bases and one of their removable back up peep sights. Weight empty is 8lb 4oz; this is a walking around gun made to be carried by its owner in brown bear and Cape buffalo country. 200 new Norma cases, new RCBS dies & shell holder. It’s basically new, fired only 4 rounds. Price $6750, plus the cost of shipping & insurance.

View attachment 584587View attachment 584588View attachment 584589View attachment 584590View attachment 584591View attachment 584592View attachment 584593View attachment 584594View attachment 584595View attachment 584596View attachment 584597View attachment 584598View attachment 584599View attachment 584600View attachment 584601View attachment 584602View attachment 584603
That is a beautiful, skillfully crafted rifle. GLWS, that’s a great deal.

Prayers to you in your fight against cancer. May the Lord bless you, your family, and your doctors.

Beautiful rifle!

Thank you!

crossone
There are no ignorant questions only ignorant answers. We all started somewhere with lack of knowledge.
Those are Talley bases, and as another poster pointed out, a Talley peep for the rear base, very nice.
Talley rings, available in 1 inch and 30mm for most any scope.
A very reliable system, many very experienced people here with vast African experience have used them on safari and recommend them.

Many custom gunmakers use them. They work well and return to zero is solid.

Perfect.404! In my mind anyway….ive been trying to piece something very similar together…good luck

There are no ignorant questions only ignorant answers. We all started somewhere with lack of knowledge.
Those are Talley bases, and as another poster pointed out, a Talley peep for the rear base, very nice.
A very reliable system, many very experienced people here with vast African experience have used them on safari and recommend them.

If that is the quick detach peep sight New England Custom Gun sells (which may be made for them by Talley), they advertise it as fitting standard p-rail = Weaver bases. It's why I considered buying one.

I really really hate to let it go, but my cancer has metastasized into my spine, so I decided I need to let someone else hunt it. I’m optimistically holding onto my 7x57 and 9.3x62.
Prayers sent for your healing.

Beautiful rifle built by two acclaimed gunbuilders in one of my favorite DG cartridges. Good luck on the sale and best wishes for beating the big C....

Best wishes and prayers for your recovery.
Beautiful rifle, Dennis built my 404 and I love it. GLWS

What is the outside diameter of the barrel at the muzzle? Like the barrel profile

What is the outside diameter of the barrel at the muzzle? Like the barrel profile
From the photo of the bore, the taper at muzzle looks rather slim. Must be if the rifle only weighs a little over eight pounds.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge on the bases and the peep; saves me quite a bit of time digging for the info. I intended to leave the rifle scoped, unless a real good reason to take it off and install the peep turned up.

Thank you! This is a great forum!

crossone

Dave, what is the LOP?

I echo the best wishes of those before me.
It’s 13.5” to accommodate my pre prednisone body shape.

Before I decided on that dimension I shouldered many, many different rifles and shotguns many times to see what worked. This was done with my eyes closed to avoid a forced fit. That length, more than any other, allowed me to be looking through the sights at a target when I opened my eyes.

Beautiful rifle!

Thank you!

crossone
They’re Talley, and are numbered. My original statement of them being NECG was in error. I apologize for any confusion caused by that mistake. And my thanks to those who caught it and sorted it out.

Dave

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeriEllzey

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Woods wrote on Hunter-Habib's profile.
Forgive me if this is the incorrect area, I signed up to this forum just now because I wanted to be on the list to purchase a copy of your autobiography. Please feel free to pass my information along to whomever is selling. Thank you so much. I look forward to it!
I like the Tillie in my picture. They are supposed to fit loose (2 fingers inside hat band), have mesh for cooling, and hold their shape after washing.
SSG Joe wrote on piratensafaris's profile.
From one newbie to another, Welcome aboard!
BLAAUWKRANTZ safaris wrote on Greylin's profile.
We have just completed a group hunt with guys from North Carolina, please feel free to contact the organizers of the group, Auburn at auburn@opextechnologies.com or Courtney at courtney@opextechnologies.com Please visit our website www.blaauwkrantz.com and email me at zanidixie@gmail.com
Zani
FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek