Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
OFAH, DSC
Hunted
South Africa, Canada, USA
I am curious whether anyone has experience with the 400 H&H cartridge? I can only find discussions about it in a general sense but no one actually with reloading or field experience.

Sorry this thread seems to have escaped me....
Been shooting and loading for the 400H&H since 2011. Got the 400H&H bug from Duke McCaa and his son of Gulf Breeze Fire Arms after meeting them at the SCI show 2010. Gulf Breeze is a Dakota dealer and they have been selling 400H&H bored Dakota's for some time.
I have shot numerous animals with the 400 including a Cape Buff in Zim in 2012. Can't say enough about this cartridge other than there is no commercial loadings for this round or SAAMI specs, there are a few custom loaders like Superior that loads for the 400H&H.
It will push a 400gr bullet at 2400fps for the magical 5000lbs of energy and send a 300gr TSX down range at 2700fps. Perhaps it is the stock dynamics of my gun but, it's is a very soft shooter and the cartridge feeds extremely easy. Some of the .411 dia bullets on the market are, Barnes, Hornady, Northfork, CEB, Swift and Hawk. Varget, RL15 or H4895 will get you down range.
My rifle started with a new Win mod 70 in 375H&H, a Shilen barrel in .411 dia was chambered and fitted with irons and a Z6 1x6 scope. So far it seems to shoot everything I have put through it sub MOA.
Let me know if I can help I'm not that far from Ontario....

Thanks for the info. I recently got a 375 and love it. This 400 H&H seemed like more of a good thing, but with the dirth of info it is not easy to develop an appreciation for the cartridge.

I have no first hand experience with it. The cartridge seems very well designed and should work as well as any of the other much more readily obtainable similar cartridges.

Maybe a 450/400 with more range?

The 450/400 pushes a .410 dia 400gr bullet as 2150fps for 4000lbs of energy. Where as the 400H&H sends a 400gr bullet down range at 2400fps and 5000lbs of energy. It offers the same performance as most of the 416 class cartridges as far as velocity and energy. Pressure wise it falls between the Rigby and the Remington.

Sounds very intriguing. Should I assume that the comparison is also where it sits in terms of recoil? Are you able to compare it to the 375 H&H or 416 Remington in terms of shootability? I am wondering whether it has an advantage over the 416 in that regard?

The advantage of the 400H&H vs the 416Rem if any is one of pressure and perhaps a bit more sectional density and perhaps cartridge design, but we are really nitpicking. As far as recoil you cannot change the laws of physics regardless of the pressure difference, the recoil of a round pushing a 400gr bullet at 2400fps will be the same. Recoil will be mitigated by stock dynamics, fit and weight.
So why the 400H&H vs the 416 variants?
Why not ...

I had high hopes for this cartridge, but it seems to be fading away. Wouldn't stop me from building one though, it would be a nice big brother to the "obsolete" .400 Whelen I hope to own someday.

It is a nice caliber, I wish Holland and Holland had legitimized the 404-375 H&H wildcat (375 H&H necked up to .423) and the 470 Capstick instead.

It has not really been marketed at all. But, I may consider it if/when I get buffalo hunting. (Assuming one could get brass for it at that time):unsure::A Wheelchair:. I suppose I could build it on my 375 H&H and it would be cheaper than that fantasy 450/400 double I also think about. It would also be fairly versatile. Here's to day dreaming about the future !:D Barman:

It is a nice caliber, I wish Holland and Holland had legitimized the 404-375 H&H wildcat (375 H&H necked up to .423) and the 470 Capstick instead.
but don't the chosen cartridges have the advantage of SD and momentum?

Zephyr, do you have pictures of your setup?

* Brass can be purchased from Quality Cartridge, Midway claims they carry Quality Cartridge as well.
* It is very easy to resize 375 H&H brass a bit short but ok for practice rounds
Dies I got from C&H
*My Rifle looks like a basic Mod 70 the only difference is that I lengthened the LOP and stripped the finish adding some red dye to the wood in the finishing process.
* Versatility Like most of the .40 class cartridges with the right bullet it is an honest 200yrd gun. Thinking of a possible Buff and Eland hunt in the near future, a 360gr NorhFork SS at 2400-2500fps will do the trick.

Lets see I have in the safe a
300H&H
375H&H
400 H&H
All based on the same cartridge, the 465H&H is based on the 378 Weatherby case.
I guess that leaves only the 275 H&H to be put in the safe....
Other than a few .22s I have nothing smaller than a .30 cal in the safe ......:whistle:

Lets see I have in the safe a
300H&H
375H&H
400 H&H
All based on the same cartridge, the 465H&H is based on the 378 Weatherby case.
I guess that leaves only the 275 H&H to be put in the safe....
Other than a few .22s I have nothing smaller than a .30 cal in the safe ......:whistle:

your missing some key H&H cartridges!
375 flanged
500/450 NE
500/465 NE
577 NE
600 NE
700 NE

you better get working on rounding out that collection of yours. :D

-matt

on the topic of the 400 H&H, aside from its collectors value I don't see any reason to use it. no offense intended but it wont do anything the 416 Rem Mag cant do for less money.

-matt

I should have been more specific and stated bolt guns....
Gotta Gibbs 450ne, might use it for trade bait some day on a Side Lock ...

on the topic of the 400 H&H, aside from its collectors value I don't see any reason to use it. no offense intended but it wont do anything the 416 Rem Mag cant do for less money.

-matt
Your right and no offense taken but since when are gun nuts sensible??

I should have been more specific and stated bolt guns....
Gotta Gibbs 450ne, might use it for trade bait some day on a Side Lock ...

there is the new 465 H&H I forgot to mention.

-matt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MorrisFloc

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg