375 Ruger

62flint

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
SA
Seems a 375ruger is more available than a 375HH in my area, I had my mind made up on a m70safari in 375hh , but with the abundance if Rugers I am seeing should I get one of those instead? I understand ballistically they are the same. I was thinking the 375hh I could find ammo easier. I will be handloading my own, so only time I would buy is if the ammo got lost in transit.

I think you should stay with a 375 H&H. The performance of both is nearly identical, but 375 H&H is easily available at almost any camp in Africa. 375 Ruger is much more limited to Namibia and South Africa. I’ve had one trip where the gun arrived and ammo didn’t. I’ve very glad I had a 375 H&H.

I had a .375 Ruger, it is a nice round and rifle, but gifted it to a friend. The H&H has far better availability of components and factory fodder. Stick with the H&H.

If you're handloading, I don't think it matters at all. Brass for the H&H is definitely more available, but otherwise, its a wash. I had an H&H traded for a Ruger. After I got back from my first elk hunt, I decided my elk rifle should be stainless steel and Laminate or composite, so Ruger it was in their guide gun. If you are going Blued and walnut, then I agree with the "get the H&H" camp. They're right on the money.

In my simple opinion, the current production Winchester M70 are smoother out of the box than Rugers.

Not to say that a Rugers can’t be slicked up by a good gunsmith. The Ruger is more compact and is a very good platform.
I just like Winchester more.

And the H&H is versatile and available.

Looking at Ammoseek gives you an idea of ammo availability in the US.

1703554001109.png

1703554103186.png

Check brand options available other than Hornady for ammo and brass.
Why? I have shot lots of Hornady factory ammo and reloaded lots of Hornady brass and personally have no problem with it. When I purchased my 375 Ruger about 10 years ago, I also purchased about 300 rounds of factory ammo, at $58/box, to have a good supply of brass in case the cartridge didn't catch on. I think the 375 Ruger has made it and is here to stay. Swift does make some factory ammo and brass, and I bought a couple boxes with 300 gr Swift A Frames.

Because Hornady will only make ammo - no brass for reloading - you will have to find someone willing to part with cases - tough to do - or pay $65 and up for 20 rounds via AmmoSeek.com.

This is the shortcoming on "better, new cartridges". Hornady is too busy bringing out the latest one (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 99 PRC) to be bothered with properly supporting all the people that fell for their marketing a decade ago when the "better, new cartridge" was the .375 Ruger.

I can get 2700 FPS/56,000 PSI from my Ruger Alaskan's 20" barrel with W760. That puts me at 10% under max pressure in a nice harmonic node with the 270gr SP-RP or Barnes TSX. A 20" barrel was ALOT easier to still hunt with, and handle in general, than the typical 24"-26" H&H barrel. The .375 Ruger is significantly better than the H&H IF ONE IS STARTING OVER OR FROM SCRATCH. I wouldn't sell an H&H to switch horses here. I didn't have an H&H when I bought the .375 Ruger. I will eventually buy a .375H&H just to have the classic.

Either you have to be shit hot rich to buy boatloads of 300gr factory ammo, or you have to be willing to handload/reload factory ammo as you can scrape it out of your budget. (My case, for sure!)

If you tell your PH you are bringing in a .375 Ruger when you reserve your hunt and ask them to insure they have 40 rounds for you in the camp, I bet they will back you up.

Go with a buddy who is also taking .375 Ruger, and then the airline has to lose two guy's baggage.

Also, book your connections 3-4 hours apart so the people in baggage handling can get your bags onto your connecting flight. Our ticket agent tried the 30 minute connection flight crap and we had to start all over on booking flights. Good thing we did - we would have missed the international flight out of Newark, as we were 30 minutes late getting in.

The .375 Ruger is a better cartridge, but the games in the industry - Winchester and Federal not making any of the ammo, Hornday not making components - are hurting it. It will still be a while before the ubiquity/availability of ammo is adequate. However, if you want to use the Ruger, you can make it happen. The .375 H&H will get the job done too. You pick and TRAIN with the rifle before you go!!!!

Buffalo Bore loads the ammo also. In 2021, theirs was $125 for a box of 20 rounds of Barnes 270gr TSX.

Maybe handle both rifles and see which comes up to your shoulder better and the grip and trigger position fits your hand best. The perfect rifle will shoot as accurarely and quickly as a fitted shotgun on the trap field. You may never find that in a factory rifle but some fit much better than others.

From a retailers perspective in small town USA the Ruger simply has more appeal to our average customer. I realize I'm talking a different demographic from many of the regulars on this sight, not trying to argue that point. Anyway, a Ruger M77 in .375 Ruger will retail for a few hundred less than Winchester M70 in .375 H&H. Not a huge deal and I prefer the Winchester BTW.

Mossberg chambers a rifle in .375 Ruger that is readily available. lt retails for around $550...only weighs 6.5 lbs...ouch! Savage makes a couple versions of the model 110 in .375 Ruger, they retail for around $800 and $1,200.

I talked about this in another thread and was more or less called a lair but .375 Ruger ammo is easier for me to get in our store. If I look at couple of our big suppliers there are over 20 different options for 375 H&H ammo but all are sold out at the moment. Only a few options are available for the .375 Ruger, factory offerings from Hornady of course and also Swift and Buffalo Bore. The 375 Ruger is always available mostly because of the Hornady.

And last even though most of you dismiss it the .375 Ruger is a more efficient cartridge. In hornady factory loads with the 300gr Bonded and Solids the difference between the Ruger and H&H is 130 fps that is pretty significant. On the other hand if you compare factory loads from Swift with like bullets the difference is only about 40 fps, not important.

And if the budget allows there is a world of great rifles out there chambered in .375 H&H, that is not the case with the Ruger. But since the .375 Ruger works in a standard length action it is easy to get one built. I am getting a push feed M70 Classic from the 90s re-barreled to .375 Ruger. Already got a couple re-barreled recently one to 338-06 AI and another to 35 Whelen. I like M70's!

I’m a new 375R owner and hornday is the only game in town , luckily I have the reloading system to produce the ammo, you want barns or swift bullets in 300gr for DG or 235-250 for deer & elk its a necessity to stockpile components To roll your own
factory ammunition is about = in price, selection is not , luckily reloading formula is super easy running 4350 @ about 80-81 grains for every thing 235-300gr bullets
IMG_0724.jpeg

Last edited:
I did some internet searching today. Finding 375ruger brass is tough.
The shorter barrel and overall length of the river is appealing. But I think I am going to keep looking for a m70 safari in 375hh.
Was hoping to find one local but I guess I will just have to get it shipped in.

I picked up a early 2008 special run Ruger Hawkeye in 375 Ruger, like the way it fit me and intended to sell it as I have an old 375 H&H..Over a short period I set my nostalgia aside and liked the Ruger better then my pre 64 Win. Its basically what the H&H should have been..I see no need to go into detail as it would be quite lengthy but that's my opinion based on a good deal of hunting with both. To each his own, but if I had a pre 64 375 or a nice mauser id stick with it, BUT if I was looking for a 375, Id opt for the Ruger African over the others.

I’m a new 375R owner and hornday is the only game in town , luckily I have the reloading system to produce the ammo, you want barns or swift bullets in 300gr for DG or 235-250 for deer & elk its a necessity to stockpile components To roll your own
factory ammunition is about = in price, selection is not , luckily reloading formula is super easy running 4350 @ about 80-81 grains for every thing 235-300gr bullets View attachment 576703
Great article by Brian Pearce. Those were obtained with a 23" barrel but you won't see more than 50 fps less in a 20" barrel.

Makes me want to try a 270gr Swift A-Frame or Northfork SP behind a heavy dose of H-414 & see if it'll hit 2850 fps or the 300gr Swift A-Frame/Northfork at 2700 fps.

There's no denying the 375 Ruger is a very efficient case design. I also love the 358 Norma but the brass has gotten ridiculous to find.

@62flint if you get a 375 Ruger, you will achieve a oneness with the hunting universe.

However, If you opt for a 375 H&H, then check out the CZ550 @Mark Biggerstaff just listed.

@62flint if you get a 375 Ruger, you will achieve a oneness with the hunting universe.

However, If you opt for a 375 H&H, then check out the CZ550 @Mark Biggerstaff just listed.

I got me a pre64 m70. Shoots good. Pretty happy with it.
I do see a stainless 375 in my future though. Maybe a ruger if brass ever becomes more available

86A98A71-AE78-49BC-B795-5F58463FBBFB.jpeg
BFF1550C-7F44-48BC-BC7B-F08CBDBB19E3.jpeg
1ABFD6BE-7952-42E5-8C47-8C992982692E.jpeg
E9A07B37-28C3-4A31-B3F9-7FEEFB624308.jpeg
197CC629-3553-48BE-A70C-F84BE6D20425.jpeg
72315DBC-1CC7-442E-B5F0-F3F794C394E7.jpeg
F1AE1DD6-64DC-46C0-A1D5-9829E4682660.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the 375HH better but the 375 Ruger is cool too

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dreamer44

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?