375 Ruger vs 416 Ruger for an all-around rifle

Discussion in '.375 & Up' started by Whiterabbit, May 25, 2018.

1. Milan

Milan AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Alberta, RSA
    I have the same problem with Ruger rifles. They just do not fit me. Same with the new Sako 85 in Kodiak. They seem to point fine and I like the stock design and feel...until I squeeze the trigger on live round. They all seem to hit harder than the caliber would suggest. The RSM in .458 Lott and .416 Rigby especially. 6 or fewer rounds of either was all I cared to fire. Yet a CZ 550 in .458 Lott, I could shoot 19 rounds and feel less beat up than with the Ruger. I fired some 600 gr hot handloads and they felt stiffer than the other loads but totally fine in the CZ. Did not dare to try them in the RSM. Even the Ruger Scout in .308 hit harder than any other .308 I have had and it was kind of heavy for such a small rifle. In the end I just wrote it off as Rugers not fitting me at all for some reason. CZs in the same caliber even with their "club like" new stocks seem to be way more comfortable for me. So I imagine those that find Rugers comfortable would find CZ perhaps unpleasant. Just as an example.

Sorry for not having anything to add to that .416 vs .375. No hunting experience with either. But I'd be inclined to pick .375 for most shooting. Only if going after buffalo or similar I'd probably want something bigger. I'd choose .458 Lott just because I really liked it and it gives even bigger set up from the .375, but .416 Rigby seems to pack a wallop, so I believe those that say it is quite another animal compared to the .375.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2019

2. njc110381

njc110381 AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    I found the same with my Ruger Hawkeye .338 Win Mag. I think it's because the butt is really slim so the recoil isn't spread over a big area? The recoil pad on my CZ is massive in comparison. I can fire about the same number of shots from my CZ .416 Rigby as I could with my Ruger .338 before my shoulder gets tender.

3. Spooksar

Spooksar AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI, Dallas Safari Club, NFA ,CSSA NRA, CCFR
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Namibia, Canada (BC, Alberta Nunavet) Texas, New Mexico
    The only Ruger I have that doesn’t beat me up is a custom 416 Taylor with a good stock. That’s what makes me think it’s the stocks. Which is to bad because I like the Ruger action

Luederitz likes this.

4. Milan

Milan AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Alberta, RSA
    I had an aftermarket decelerator on the .416 Rigby and it still was a beast. But maybe it was slimmer. Slimmer stocks definitely have tendency to get noticed more. But, I have slim stocks on my other rifles like lighter Interarms Mark X in .375. No decelerator, yet comfy. Sako Kodiak, heavy and fatter stock, yet a beast. Needles to say. I sold all the beasts.

Either way, I would blame the "stock design to body" fit. I either need different body or different stock. Stock seems to be easier to obtain and change.

CoElkHunter likes this.

5. Luederitz

Luederitz New Member

Video/Photo:
    I used twice the 9,5x66SE in Namibia with the 270grs A-Frame for plains game. The 9,5x66SE is the blueprint for the 375 Ruger - 2800fps with 270grains is realistic. If the premise is using only one gun, I´d prefer the 375 calibers.

Nevertheless I ordered (based on a Mauser 66 system and custom stock) a rifle in 416 Ruger, as my dream is buffalo in Zimbabwe in the next few years.
    Tested in an official laboratory in Germany the 416 Ruger provides with the 400grs A-Frame and 74grs CFE223 a muzzle speed of 2300fps with not exceeding 4000bar pressure (which is within the limit).

What do the experienced buffalo hunters say: 400grains and 2300fps should be sufficient?

CoElkHunter likes this.

6. CoElkHunter

CoElkHunter AH Fanatic

Milan,
    I believe your absolutely right with stock designs being able to “tame the beast”. My Browning A Bolt .338 WM stock design makes the recoil very manageable. Same with my Whitworth.375 and CZ .458 WM. NOT so much with my hunting buddy’s Marlin .45-70! Kicks like a mule! Even the recoil on his straight stocked Browning .30-06 BLR is more than it should be. Not much less than my .338! Of course, felt recoil is ALWAYS subjective to the individual shooter.
    CEH

Milan likes this.

7. Milan

Milan AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Alberta, RSA