375 Ruger vs 416 Ruger for an all-around rifle

Whiterabbit

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I am trying to combine my main hunting rifle with my "dreams of Africa" rifle, and want advice on cartridge. It will absolutely be one of the two I've posted in the topic.

For hunting in the US, I will be using cast bullets and significantly downloading the cartridge. It will be somewhat like a trapdoor 45/70 in that respect. For larger game, the sky will be the limit.

I see lots of financial advantages to select .375 over the .416, but as a large-caliber junkie (my current dreaming-of-Africa rifle is a .510 caliber) there is a tic in my head that says I am better off selecting a .416, even though it means that all other shooting will be more expensive. And yet, I see plenty of threads here of folks who have taken a 375 Ruger to Africa for their Cape Buffalo (which is my African Dream).

So I have to ask those who took a .375 to Africa for buffalo, am I being overly worried over something that may not happen in the next decade, and that if I get my lifetime chance to go to Africa, that 375 will take a Buffalo just as cleanly as a 416 given proper bullet and load selection?

Or is there enough of an advantage to the .416 for the case of very large game, that I should consider it more strongly over the 375, knowing that it will be more work to get it running well for all non-very-large game shooting?

Opinions? Am I agonizing over nothing?

CTDolan

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
You're agonizing over nothing but don't feel bad as I have done the very same and settled on the 416 Ruger (and not for any practical reason but simply because I am a big bore junkie and therefore like a bigger hole in the end of the barrel).

In my opinion (as I've stated it elsewhere on this site), the 375 Ruger is the best cartridge to come along since the 338 Win Mag. It would as well be an obviously fine choice (and, if one wants to get practical about it, better).

CAustin

Bronze supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Courtney Hunting Club, NRA Life Member, SCI Kansas City Chapter
Hunted
South Africa, KwaZulu Natal, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas
F61B028F-6587-48C6-A5F0-3B2FC2D4AA70.jpeg
8B02A68B-6DA2-4719-B393-B3F00CD1E8EA.jpeg

416 Ruger Guide Gun! Guess what I suggest!

Doug375

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
U.S., Namibia, Zambia
I have a 416 Ruger Hawkey African and used it on a Cape Buffalo. It did the job well. However, if you want just one rifle to do it all, I think you'd be better off with the .375 Ruger. You don't give up much....At least nothing a buff will notice....but you will have a caliber that is better for plains game hunting. That said, why not a 375 H&H?

ChrisG

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Member of
NAHC, NRA, Rocky Mtn. Elk Foundation.
Hunted
USA, Canada
.375 is probably the more practical choice. I don't have a Ruger, but the h&h version. That said.... The .416 Ruger is just a much more fun choice! This black bear collapsed when that .416 slug flattened him.
IMAG0500.jpg

lwaters

Bronze supporter
AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
SCI
Hunted
Texas,Namibia,Kansas, Missouri, Wyoming, Colorado, Idaho, South Africa, New Zealand
I feel if you are going to be mostly hunting dangerous game I would go with the 416. If I was going to also hunt a lot the plains game and just shoot a buffalo than I would get the 375. I think also the 375 would be good here at home for everything from elk to brown bear.

npm352

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
If your original post is best "all- around" rifle...I don't think anyone would argue for a .416 over a .375. If it is all around, you're likely to shoot more whitetail than elephants, so the .375 seems like the best bet. But, there are people who like the .416 because it is just plain cool.

Dewald

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Member of
KZN Hunters/ SAHGCA/
Hunted
South Africa, Namibia
Nothing like a 350gr .416 Swift A-frame to flatten large plainsgame at 2400fps. When buffalo are on the menu go 400gr at 2250

Bill Bunn III

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
My suggestion is the 375 H&H not the fad ruger. But then again I am a bigger fan of traditional rounds than new ones. I would have to say I would look at the 404 Jeffrey over the 416 also. If I didn't have to chose I would say a 375 H&H and the 404 Jeffrey. If I could only chose 1 it would be the 375H&H as it is a little more versatile. than

Sika98k

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Europe
Member of
Wild Deer Association of Ireland
Hunted
Kenya,Namibia, Croatia, Morocco Ireland,Scotland,Denmark, Romania, Sweden,Norway,Latvia,Germany,Hungary,
My money would go on a 375 H&H. Probably better availability of ammo if your 375 Ruger ammo goes missing enroute.
It should be an easier round to manage than a larger calibre rifle so you’ll shoot better with it. I’ve used one the last two trips and as the PH said “it’s the perfect all round calibre for Africa”.

Dr Ray

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hi Guys,

I am trying to combine my main hunting rifle with my "dreams of Africa" rifle, and want advice on cartridge. It will absolutely be one of the two I've posted in the topic.

For hunting in the US, I will be using cast bullets and significantly downloading the cartridge. It will be somewhat like a trapdoor 45/70 in that respect. For larger game, the sky will be the limit.

I see lots of financial advantages to select .375 over the .416, but as a large-caliber junkie (my current dreaming-of-Africa rifle is a .510 caliber) there is a tic in my head that says I am better off selecting a .416, even though it means that all other shooting will be more expensive. And yet, I see plenty of threads here of folks who have taken a 375 Ruger to Africa for their Cape Buffalo (which is my African Dream).

So I have to ask those who took a .375 to Africa for buffalo, am I being overly worried over something that may not happen in the next decade, and that if I get my lifetime chance to go to Africa, that 375 will take a Buffalo just as cleanly as a 416 given proper bullet and load selection?

Or is there enough of an advantage to the .416 for the case of very large game, that I should consider it more strongly over the 375, knowing that it will be more work to get it running well for all non-very-large game shooting?

Opinions? Am I agonizing over nothing?

My humble suggestion which may make your widow unhappy!
Both!
Use the 375 for medium sized game such as elk and bear fir example and take the 416 to Africa for the mean and nasty buff!
You don’t come back recycled so live well while you can!

johnnyblues

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Mex/S.Amer
Hunted
USA, ALASKA Canada, New Zealand, Mexico Africa.
The buffalo in my avatar was taken with my 375 Ruger shooting 300 grain Swift A frame bullets. Also took my waterbuck and my bushbuck with it.

JakeH

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA
Hunted
USA
For an all-around rifle I’d go with the .375, but if it was a dangerous game focused rifle then it’d have to be the .416.

Shawn.54

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA
My vote is for the 375 Ruger with the proper bullet choice it will do anything a 300 Win mag will and also knock the snoot out of a Cape Buffalo.
And if you get to Africa and your ammunition is lost you do what you would do if ammunition got there and the rifle was lost you rent one and go hunting.
Shawn

WAB

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
DSC, NRA, SCI
Hunted
Zambia, Botswana, Mozambique, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Scotland, England, Canada, Alaska, Ireland
When we lived in Alaska my .375 H&H was my go to bear gun. It flattens the biggest griz with authority. My dreams of Africa finally came true and I totes the .375 after buff. I shot two buff with it but was just not happy with its performance (300 gr A-Frames). It killed them but it seemed to take a bit for them to figure out they were dead. I had a M-70 custom build put together in .458 Lott. It shoots like a dream and the three buff I have shot with it appear much more aware that they have been shot. I have also shot plains game with it to good effect. Needless to say, I would go with the .416 if buff or ele are on the menu.

Odinsraven

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Life Membe,Icelandic Hunting Club SKOTVIS , BASC (UK) Countryside Alliance (UK)r
Hunted
UK ,Ireland, Bulgaria,Iceland,Czech Republic
416 rigby if your suitcase fails to turn up 416 rigby ammo is readily available ...... the 416 and 375 Ruger not much chance ....actually was around the gun stores in P.E. last year and 416 rigby 2 boxes SP one soilds over 4 stores ....375 HH all had ammo in some form or other usually 300 gr SP and Solid ...none had ruger Lott or any of the modern variants

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickPa

Latest profile posts

DGGardner wrote on Rare Breed's profile.
I'm sure I am a day late and a dollar short but if the deal on the .416 falls through let me know and I will buy it.
Pondoro wrote on Tally-Ho HUNTING SAFARIS's profile.
Hello...could you please pm me regarding what species available on this fly-camp offer....can cape buffalo be taken for instance..? Trophy prices..?
matt vejar wrote on kevin masters's profile.
Kevin,
Played rookie league for the Yankees in Paintsville after winning the College World Series at Fullerton State, in1979. All I could think about was the movie “Deliverance”- lived up in a hollow with some other players. Refused to go on a moonshine run because it was a dry county-no way. Met some of the nicest people on the planet there! Van Lear the home of Loretta Lynn was highlight of summer LOL.
Tally-Ho HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on jfowler812's profile.
hi Mr fowler

im happy to do these deals for 2021

i will knock off 10% off each deal if you take 2 so $18000 per package

look forward to your response

regards
Mule deer and Colorado elk seasons almost done! Hunters driving farm roads, looking for racks, their PH driving them along, I ask that you not pull into my drive. The buck behind me, on the boundary line of the GMU somehow knows. The hunter laughs, I would invite you in to see my Searcy rifles but social distancing prevails, darkness arrives and the buck slides away into secret tree grove...