375 Ruger Scope Question Desperate Times (Possibly) Desperate Measures

Depending on the caliber you were running your drift from 0 was about 16”. Difference from 300-400yds was likely about 8” with a 20mph wind. I typically don’t mis-range something by 100yards where the difference in wind drift is greater than the size of the animals vitals. For many calibers the difference in drop is almost 2x as much as wind drift at 20mph between 300 and 400.

Target - 100 lb Pronghorn
Primary Target Size - 8"
Rifle Accuracy - Approximately 4" Group at 400 yards.
Wind - 90-120 degrees (shifting), gusting from 15-25 mph.
Rest - Side of an Arroyo
Complicating factors - Ground vegetation and wind born dust.
Margin for error (Adjusted for rifle accuracy) - 2.0".

You may be better at it than me but under those conditions I was not sure I could shoot 4" 400 yard groups and call the wind drift within 2". That is what would be required for a certain shot.I don't believe I would take that shot today (even though I nailed it).
 
With moose season coming I have a bit of a dilemma. My 358 Winchester has had some issues and my 308 is spoken for (loaner for a friend getting into caribou hunting). Neither is ideal for my planned moose/grizzly hunt. That leaves my 375 Ruger as my only big game rifle.

The problem is my 375 Ruger is currently set up with a Leopold 1-4 scope in Alaska Arms QD rings. It's a fantastic set up for grizzly bears, not so much if I see a moose at 350 yards.

I have a Redfield Revolution 2-7x33 scope that was destined for the 358. Now I'm wondering if the Redfield will work on the 375. Am I crazy? This is a current production made in Oregon scope. My understanding is Redfield scopes are made in Leopold's factory. Does that mean it should be as durable as a Leopold 2-7 scope? I know the glass and coatings are probably inferior but the Redfield is still better then the 1-4 if it doesn't break.

Before someone suggests a Ziess etc. I don't have the money and probably not the time. Basically I'll be hunting with either the current Leopold scope or the Redfield if I have time to sight it in.

Thoughts? This is a lighter weight 375 Ruger that has been customized. Recoil is estimated at 45 pounds with hunting loads.
I have a Leupold VX6 2-12 on my .375 Ruger. This is what I am taking on my upcoming moose hunt.
 
Target - 100 lb Pronghorn
Primary Target Size - 8"
Rifle Accuracy - Approximately 4" Group at 400 yards.
Wind - 90-120 degrees (shifting), gusting from 15-25 mph.
Rest - Side of an Arroyo
Complicating factors - Ground vegetation and wind born dust.
Margin for error (Adjusted for rifle accuracy) - 2.0".

You may be better at it than me but under those conditions I was not sure I could shoot 4" 400 yard groups and call the wind drift within 2". That is what would be required for a certain shot.I don't believe I would take that shot today (even though I nailed it).
Calling wind definitely takes a bit of practice. Nice thing is at 400 you're typically not contending with multiple different wind directions.

If you're interested in shooting long range pick-up a Kestrel. It's definitely your friend
 
I like a bit more than 4x because I think it gives me a "reality check " on how steady I actually am. Yesterday I was caribou hunting with a friend. A caribou suddenly trotted by. I had no time to grab my own rifle so my friend handed me his 7mm-08 with the scope cranked up to 12x. I could tell I was shaky on my rest so I stopped, redjusted and took the shot. But for now I'll make the 1-4 work. Fortunately moose are big and I'll probably be much closer than max range.
 
I like a bit more than 4x because I think it gives me a "reality check " on how steady I actually am. Yesterday I was caribou hunting with a friend. A caribou suddenly trotted by. I had no time to grab my own rifle so my friend handed me his 7mm-08 with the scope cranked up to 12x. I could tell I was shaky on my rest so I stopped, redjusted and took the shot. But for now I'll make the 1-4 work. Fortunately moose are big and I'll probably be much closer than max range.
Good luck on your hunt.
 
Either scope should do the job. I have 2 of the Redfield revolution 2x7s. One is on a 338wm and I've never had a problem. They are made by Leupold and are excellent scopes. You're good to go either way. Good hunting!
 
Welp to late to change now. But I got my 308 back after my friends caribou hunt fell through. I'll be carrying that since it handles long shots better. With the shortage of reloading stuff I probably won't change anything for a while now. Headed out after work for a long weekend.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,316
Messages
1,572,652
Members
169,599
Latest member
MarquisBig
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top