Website
www.youtube.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Hunted
Texas, Arkansas, Alaska
With moose season coming I have a bit of a dilemma. My 358 Winchester has had some issues and my 308 is spoken for (loaner for a friend getting into caribou hunting). Neither is ideal for my planned moose/grizzly hunt. That leaves my 375 Ruger as my only big game rifle.

The problem is my 375 Ruger is currently set up with a Leopold 1-4 scope in Alaska Arms QD rings. It's a fantastic set up for grizzly bears, not so much if I see a moose at 350 yards.

I have a Redfield Revolution 2-7x33 scope that was destined for the 358. Now I'm wondering if the Redfield will work on the 375. Am I crazy? This is a current production made in Oregon scope. My understanding is Redfield scopes are made in Leopold's factory. Does that mean it should be as durable as a Leopold 2-7 scope? I know the glass and coatings are probably inferior but the Redfield is still better then the 1-4 if it doesn't break.

Before someone suggests a Ziess etc. I don't have the money and probably not the time. Basically I'll be hunting with either the current Leopold scope or the Redfield if I have time to sight it in.

Thoughts? This is a lighter weight 375 Ruger that has been customized. Recoil is estimated at 45 pounds with hunting loads.

A 1-4 is plenty doable out to 350 on moose. You're a little more powered than irons at 100. Of the 2 scopes you have, that's the scope I'd choose. It's already on the gun and zeroed.

If I were in the market for a new scope, I'd look at one of the new Leupold VX3HD's or my personal favorite a VX5HD. I'm a big fan of the 3-15 but the 2-10 is really nice as well.

Your good with your 1-4 this close to moose season. Set up a new scope after the season for next year if you want....

Sounds like a consensus. Probably stick with the 1-4 unless I just end up with extra time and just want to play around. One caribou hunt will probably be canceled so I might get the 308 back anyway. Its solid for a 400 yard shot but not great for bears. Decisions decisions...

Even if you get the .308 back I would probably go with the .375 Ruger, I would feel a little under gunned if things went sideways with a grizzly!

I agree with those suggesting you stay with the 1-4 power Leupold. You mentioned the possibility of a 350 yd. shot, however what is the probability of having to make it. What range do you normally zero your rifle for when hunting Moose?

That set up is fully capable. I would definitely practice with it out to any expected range. I like to use a standard size paper plate as a “what is my limitations” check. As long as I can keep all my shots on the plate (at different ranges and using possible shooting positions), I feel confident and ready. With very few exceptions, my scopes have been on the lowest power everytime I have taken game. When its time to shoot, I focus on shooting and leave the power ring alone.

Good luck and safe hunting!

I'll be in a sub alpine area so a longer shot is very possible assuming I'm able to verify the moose is legal. I had no problems ringing a 10 inch steel gong at 200 yards with the 1-4 scope. I did it with the 358 and a 1-3 scope too. Didn't have the chance to stretch farther.

I'd stick with the 1-4 so you're not worrying about the 2-7 crapping out . And as a side note, 45 pounds of recoil is pretty stout!!! Might be a valid concern!!

I personally would not go out with the 1-4. There is just not quite enough power for my liking.

I would consider buying a Leupold VX-3HD 2.5-8x36 and either selling the 1-4 or just sell the new scope after the season. Look for a good price, keep it good shape and you won't lose very much money.

One think to remember that cheap scopes fail especially on big guns. Maybe not right the way, but always when you need them.
I had same gun as yours (was stupid and sold it) Nikon prostaff5 held 1 box of ammo like a champ. 3 more shots of hand one after another and front lens falls off. Nikon replaced scope no question ask. And I learn a good lessons. If your scope is holding well keep it, just train to be more proficient out to 400 yards with it.

C4F4FB24-DF27-409E-99BC-DDE14EB076BE.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not broken, so don't fix it. Do your prep work with practice rounds at distance and harvest a Moose. Best of luck and we will be expecting a full report with pictures. ;)

As others have said, 4x is plenty at 350-400, I wouldn’t mess with it. Just shoot it and get used to the sight picture at that range. I regularly ring steel at 300 with an AR topped with a 1-4x scope. I can easily hold on a 2” target dot with that magnification.

With a rifle with a 2 5-10 variable
Shot 5x5 Shot Groups with each magnification at 100 yards.
Discarded the worst and best groups of each and averaged the remaining three.
Rounded to nearest 0.10". Cleaned barrel and fired 5 fouling shots before each set of 5x5.

4.0x - 0.7"
6.0x - 0.6"
10.0x - 0.6"

That's from a benchrest. I doubt my ability under field conditions to do any better with a 10x than 4x. I honestly find that anything over 6x becomes detrimental even with an improvised rest.

My longest shot in the field is 392 yards (Which is a shot I should not have taken as miscalculation of wind drift is simply to likely at that distance) on a pronghorn with a scope set at 6x. I don't think a 2.5x would have created any issue on a Moose at that distance.

You do what you are comfortable with but as long as you have at least 2.5x I would go with it on Moose.

I’d stick with the 1-4x Leupold. It is a proven performer on your rifle. A moose‘s vitals are large target. Although there is the chance of a 350 yd shot, there is a greater chance it will be closer. The Redfield is probably optically inferior to the Leupold.

With a rifle with a 2 5-10 variable
Shot 5x5 Shot Groups with each magnification at 100 yards.
Discarded the worst and best groups of each and averaged the remaining three.
Rounded to nearest 0.10". Cleaned barrel and fired 5 fouling shots before each set of 5x5.

4.0x - 0.7"
6.0x - 0.6"
10.0x - 0.6"

That's from a benchrest. I doubt my ability under field conditions to do any better with a 10x than 4x. I honestly find that anything over 6x becomes detrimental even with an improvised rest.

My longest shot in the field is 392 yards (Which is a shot I should not have taken as miscalculation of wind drift is simply to likely at that distance) on a pronghorn with a scope set at 6x. I don't think a 2.5x would have created any issue on a Moose at that distance.

You do what you are comfortable with but as long as you have at least 2.5x I would go with it on Moose.
Depending on the caliber you were running your drift from 0 was about 16”. Difference from 300-400yds was likely about 8” with a 20mph wind. I typically don’t mis-range something by 100yards where the difference in wind drift is greater than the size of the animals vitals. For many calibers the difference in drop is almost 2x as much as wind drift at 20mph between 300 and 400.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ArtLuse26

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you