375 H&H load data using Superformance powder

Mountaineer

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Has anyone used superformance powder in their 375 H&H. I’m considering trying it in with 235 tsx and 300 grain nosler partitions if I can find load data. Thanks!

Has anyone used superformance powder in their 375 H&H. I’m considering trying it in with 235 tsx and 300 grain nosler partitions if I can find load data. Thanks!

If you haven't found it easily it is probably not a compatible burn rate for the .375.

Hornady is manufacturing it in 375. I’m assuming it’s the same powder, but certainly could be wrong.
I have read that Hornady Superformance factory ammo is not necessarily using the same powder as the Superformance powder, so I would be cautious.

I have read that Hornady Superformance factory ammo is not necessarily using the same powder as the Superformance powder, so I would be cautious.
This is true. Hodgdon superformance is very good for a handful of cartridges, like the WSMs. Its very effective in 6.5 creedmoor as well. However, it is not the same as any of the factory loaded superformance powders, even in the cartridges with burn rates the Hodgdon powder is designed for.

@Mountaineer
Hogdon Superformance is slower than H4831SC and Re22. If you can use either of these powders in the 375H&H you may be able to use it.
All the load I have seen with Superformance have been with light for caliber bullets and this has me puzzled because of its burn rate. I substituted for H4831SC in my 25 with equal powder weights and got better velocity at what appeared to be lower pressure.
As usual work up all loads and Superformance being a sow burning powder should NOT be used for reduced loads as this could lead to SEE ( secondary explosion effects) that is detrimental to both shooter and rifle.
IF IN DOUBT DONT USE IT.
Bob

Hornady is manufacturing it in 375. I’m assuming it’s the same powder, but certainly could be wrong.
@Mountaineer
You are definitely wrong mate.
The Hornady Superformance loads use an in house special powder blend for each cartridge.
I have read where people tried it in the 35 Whelen and got results in speeds similar to a thrown rock as it was to slow.
Bob

Superformance powder is a name given by Hodgdon for a specific fairly slow powder with burn characteristics suited to over bore cartridges like 22-250, 300 WSM and the like.

Superformance ammo is a name given by Hornady to a line of ammo. A name given for marketing purposes.

Two different things completely... one having nothing to do with the other. A confusion caused by using the same name for two complexity different things.

The 375 HH is not at all an over bore design so its best powders are in the medium burn rate range. The over bore cartridges like the 22-250 usually use powders in the slow burn rate range.

Superformance powder is a name given by Hodgdon for a specific fairly slow powder with burn characteristics suited to over bore cartridges like 22-250, 300 WSM and the like.

Superformance ammo is a name given by Hornady to a line of ammo. A name given for marketing purposes.

Two different things completely... one having nothing to do with the other. A confusion caused by using the same name for two complexity different things.

The 375 HH is not at all an over bore design so its best powders are in the medium burn rate range. The over bore cartridges like the 22-250 usually use powders in the slow burn rate range.
@fourfive8
It's a lso suitable in the 243, 25-06, and 30-06 according to Hornady 10th edition reloading manual. Strangely it is mainly listed for light for calibre projectile. My 25 isn't over bore but it give it a boost of a couple of hundred fps.
Bob

@fourfive8
It's a lso suitable in the 243, 25-06, and 30-06 according to Hornady 10th edition reloading manual. Strangely it is mainly listed for light for calibre projectile. My 25 isn't over bore but it give it a boost of a couple of hundred fps.
Bob
Of course it can be used in most any caliber... if it will burn up to progressive pressure enough to be a more or less stable burn. The question is "best suitable". The 375 HH is almost a tapered straight wall when considering internal ballistics... a far cry from most modern shouldered cartridges. In this context, "over bore" simply implies significant shoulder constriction that will show increased pressurization for slow, progressive powders. Reloading data manuals would be tens of inches thick if every powder that "could be" used were tested and published for each cartridge. :)

@fourfive8
Bob
I noticed that Hornady had new superformance load data in the 11th edition that was not in earlier editions

I noticed that Hornady had new superformance load data in the 11th edition that was not in earlier editions
@NTX
What new cartridges is it listed for use in and with what weight projectiles.
When I use Wayne Blackwell load from a disc it list a lot more loads than hornaday and with heavier projectiles. Strange thing is if you alter the COAL it no longer lists superformance which I find strange.
My experimenting with superformance and with a lot of research I have found cases that use H4831SC are also suitable candidates for the use of superformance BUT DONT TAKE THIS AS GOSPEL as it is my observation.
I also used CFE223 in the 270 I had with 110gn Hornady V Max and got outstanding velocities at what appeared to be lower pressure and outstanding accuracy. Velocities of 3,300 fps and consistent less than 0.5 inch groups using a Stevens/ Savage 200.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelitaAu

Latest profile posts

Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,