.375 H&H & IMR4831

aj113

New member
Joined
Feb 1, 2026
Messages
4
Reaction score
2
Good evening all. I have a reasonably accurate load worked up for my .375 with 300 grain Accubonds and IMR4831. I tried several powders that are more temperature stable according to the burn charts, but the rifle just doesn't seem to like them as well (H4350, IMR4350, IMR4064). Accuracy and chronograph numbers are much better with IMR4831. Does anyone have any real world feedback on whether the IMR4831 causes any issues in hot temps? It was sub 30 degrees today when I was shooting, and it won't be hot enough here for me to test the temperature sensitivity for another 5 months.
 
I use IMR4831 in my 270 win. with 150 grains bullets and my 338 WM with 250 grains bullets. Never had a problem shooting them during the summer months versus fall.
 
No first hand experience with this exact combo. I know I couldnt fit enough in a .338 win mag case to cause any pressure signs on 100+ degree days. I imagine that would apply moreso for the .375 h&h. 4831 is pretty slow and the .375 is definitely not overbore.
 
Thank you for the information. The problem fixed itself. I can’t find more IMR4831 anywhere, am running a little low on it, and I used it in my .243 Win load. So I’m saving the rest for the .243 and pivoted a different direction for the .375. But that’s good to know for the future.

The 4831 probably isn’t ideal from a bulk standpoint in the .375 either. I had some issues with being able to seat the bullets deep enough. But when I was able to it shot pretty well.
 
Varget is the best of both worlds, this is my load for my rifle, not sure it will work for yours so start 5 grains lower and work up, Varget is a great powder that works will all the projectiles of all weights for the 375 h&h
But of course that’s just my opinion
1779300121835.jpeg
 
Last edited:
My BRNO ZKK 602 375 H&H shoots this same load like a turkey gun. She likes the Barnes 270 TSX to be shot at around 2600fps.
 
Varget is the best of both worlds, this is my load for my rifle, not sure it will work for yours so start 5 grains lower and work up, Varget is a great powder that works will all the projectiles of all weights for the 375 h&h
But of course that’s just my opinion
I’m also a fan of Varget in 375 h&h.

Copied from one of my earlier posts…

“I’ve had good accuracy with Varget. The bullet I’m using is the Hornady 300 grain round nose bullet. Unfortunately, Hornady no longer makes this bullet, but I still have a few hundred left. I’m Always looking for more!”

“My 58 grain Varget loads are a little on the slow side, at around 2,200fps. Good enough for the bears and deer I hunt here at home.
I’m shooting 3/4” groups from the bench at 50 yards with this load.”
 
Hi aj113,

I have a 375 H&H. Reload, shoots and hunts with it since 1992.
To me, the IMR4831 is a little too slow. Because the long 300 grs Accubond with boat tail design uses some of the case volume, I would chose the W760. Or one of the new and similar ball powders with better temperature stability. That because the density of those powders allow to get enough pressure/velocities without too much load compression.

Good luck!

CF
 
I used H4895 under Hornady 270 g Interlocks for inexpensive practice loads. Estimate 2300 FPS.
No chrono yet. Midway had the Interlocks on sale. But, admittedly, these were the first and only shots out of my 375 H&H. So take this info with a grain of salt ;-)
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,304
Messages
1,572,242
Members
169,512
Latest member
ciathornresle1975
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Andrew62 wrote on JBonw762's profile.
Hello, I asked the question I did simply to bump it to the top for you. I have a 416 Taylor or I would be very interested in it! It's a real beauty!
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top