375 H&H Heavy Bullets vs 416

Safe travels Toby, and may the Hunting Gods cast good luck with your hunt. Can’t wait to hear about it (y)

Amen!

Amen again!

I have a long record of being an upgraded CZ 550 patron (matched triplet in .300 Wby, .375 H&H, .416 Rigby) and I understand and agree with everything you say :)

But, but, but, there is one more aspect...

I am on record in my Blaser transition review (https://www.africahunting.com/threa...aser-r8-a-two-months-500-rounds-review.60483/) explaining why I finally went the Blaser route:

The main reason why I bought a Blaser R8 is best illustrated by these three pictures:

View attachment 389587
CZ 550 + Krieghoff Big Five = 2 calibers to Africa in a rifle case <50 lbs. but that exceeds 62" linear...

Pelican 1700 with CZ 550 300 Wby & Krieghoff ,470 NE.jpg

CZ 550 + Krieghoff Big Five = 2 calibers to Africa in a rifle case <50 lbs. and <62" linear...

Pelican 1700 with Krieghoff .470 + Blaser R8 & 2 barrels.jpg

Blaser R8 + Krieghoff Big Five = 3 calibers to Africa in a rifle case <50 lbs. and <62" linear...

To the best of my knowledge, there is simply no other way than a R8 (or similar) to bring 3 calibers to Africa, within the maximum weight (50 lbs.) and within the maximum linear size (62") allowed by the airlines.

Then I discovered how truly well thought out and well executed the system is, and I am not afraid to say that I was converted...

I am happy you have a good face to face experience with them. I live in Arizona, so driving by their store does not really work for me...

I am sure EuroOptic provides fine face to face service when their role is simply to let you garner by yourself the info you want by handling the product. This being said, the folks they have doing their website, and on the phone, have been, at least in my modest experience, truly not knowledgeable... Maybe I was just unlucky... or maybe my expectations are too high... but I do expect folks to know what they are selling (especially at Blaser prices)... One error is no big deal, half a dozen is too much in my book.
to survive in US retail today, you must hire the youngest, cheapest (or simply ILLEGAL any-age which I/they do NOT support!!!) Labor. the guys in the store are def below the mean/median/mode age of the typ AHF member (for obvious reasons.) Do YOUR research first, choose well, and simply purchase from them for the best price! What I appreciate most about them: NO sales pitch. Choose what you want (great stuff/great prices!) I DETEST Salespeople for obvious reason (they are bothersome parasites that drive the price of the item up, bother us/somewhat trained liars and are generally useless and FOS!) ;) Honest salespeople are rarer than a 4-leafed clover in the wild! lol

I've been doing some thinking, since I returned from Africa on my recent Cape Buffalo, and plains game hunt. I shot 7 animals with my 375 H&H Kimber Talkeetna and Swift A Frame bullets, and a Cape Buffalo with my Winchester 416 Rem mag., with the same Swift bullets. All were clean kills and bullet performance was excellent.
I also went to Austalia in 2015 and killed 3 Water Buffalo bulls with my 375 H&H Sako Kodiak, with Barnes TSX 300gr bullets. All were clean kills as well. None of the bulls ran out of sight before falling over. (I still kept pouring the lead to them). :)
So, that being said, I wonder how much more effective is a 416 really over a 375 with heavy bullets and or Barnes bullets?
Do I REALLY need to take 2 rifles next time???
Read Kevin Robertson's Africa's Most Dangerous. lol I don't feel like typing. How likely is KFC to get you sick to your stomach??

Reactions: WAB
Read Kevin Robertson's Africa's Most Dangerous. lol I don't feel like typing. How likely is KFC to get you sick to your stomach??
i would only take both a 375 and 416 if my son and i were hunting. for the most part, with proper bullet selection, they do the same thing. the 416 a tad better on DG and the 375 on PG at range. I'd never bring both for myself, favoring hi-po med bore cartridges that can reach out (some with greater E than the 375). 'had my fun w/ the 375s and now i've passed the torch. Bigger for DG and "smaller" for PG.

I ended up using a 375 with 300gr CEB solids for my Elephant last year. So, I guess I answered my own question. Bullet construction seems to be more important than bullet weight, up to a point.
I have read Kevin's book cover to cover, so I'm familiar with his opinions on the subject.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bkNen

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross